Should we keep Eric Decker?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Footballgod214, May 15, 2017.

1. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

Our rookies whom we drafted late or didn't draft at all, produced more than some 1st rounders. You count on them developing further in year two. Unless your named Devin Smith.
    Below are Jets & 2016 Drafted WR's rookie years:

Jeremy Kerley
    ---------Age--G--Gs--Tgt--Re--Yds---Y/R--TD
    2011--23--14---1---47---29---314--10.8---1

Stephen Hill
    2012--21--12--11---59---24---342--14.3---1

Devin Smith
    2016--23--10---3----28--09---115--12.8---1

Quincy Enunwa
    2014--23---1----0----0----0-----0-------0----0

Charone Peake
    2016--24--15---1---35---19--186-----9.8---0

Jalin Marshal
    2016--21--14---1---23---14--162----11.6---2

Robbie Anderson
    2016--23--16---8---78---42--587---14.0---2

2016 WR's Selected in Round 1:

Corey Coleman--1st Round--15th Overall

2016--22--10--10---------33--413---12.5---3

Will Fuller--1st Round--21st Overall
    2016--22--14--13--------47---635---13.5---2

Josh Doctson--1st Round--22nd Overall
    --------Age--G--Gs--Tgt--Re--Yds---Y/R--TD
    2016--24---2----------------2 ---66---33.0---0

Laquon Treadwell-1st Round-23rd Overall
    2016--21---9----------------1---15---15.0---0

2. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Depends on the return. If we could get a second, I would definitely think about it.

Need to have ammunition if the Jets want to move into the top 3-5 for a QB.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

3. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

That kind of return would be too much to pass up - if Mac could turn decker into a 2nd he would be a wizard. Like someone should be hired to follow him around playing his own theme music kind of wizard.

In reality though the kind of fair value Decker would net wouldn't be worthwhile for us to deal him. As many people in this thread have already pointed out - his value to our team is too great to move on from him.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

4. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Mac should base his decision regarding Decker on 3 things.
    1: How well has he recovered from his off season surgeries. Is he able to play at the same level as before the injuries.
    2: How well the young Recievers perform. If they step up , Decker becomes expendable.
    3:What compensation is offered in a trade.

Pags2112 likes this.
  5. Pags2112

I don't recall ever having so many Jets players being brought up in trade discussions in one season. Then again, it's been a while since the last rebuild. And has there ever been a strong youth movement?

Tomorrow will be the first day of voluntary spring practice. I'm curious to see the Decker update. I know lots of posters speak of the value he brings to a young quarterback .. but is one (non #1 caliber) receiver really going to help to such a degree that he is indispensable? Will we look back if Pettenberg has a subpar season, in terms of young QB's, and determine it had to do with cutting or trading Decker? Personally, considering where the Jets stand, I value the reps more. I think we should have went ALL-IN. I can understand keeping Harris due to the position he plays .. but not a WR. An aging, more expensive WR, coming off injuries.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  6. TonyFtLaud

I think you nailed it with that one line right there. Decker is definitely not a #1 Reciever. That point is key to assessing Decker's value. If the young talent develops, the reps are key to develop chemistry . I remember reading in an earlier post how someone was impressed with the chemistry Petty developed with Anderson. That was all due to the reps they had together.
    Is Decker going to call plays in the huddle? If Hack or Petty don't have the poise in the huddle to settle the offense, they are not the answer going forward.
    Decker should be competing with the young Recievers and if he wins the spot he should stay. If one of the young Recievers beat him out, it should be their spot.
    I like Decker, he was a great Reciever, and very well may be when he returns, but he was never a team leader, was in some ways a distraction before the 16 season with the Fitz campaign. Last season he was injured but could still have been a locker room leader. I don't see any reason to expect him to suddenly take the WR corps under his wing and become a coach, mentor, and leader on and off the field.

Pags2112 likes this.
  7. Pags2112

Z
    Good points. I agree with you on Deckers' locker room presence and also do not see him taking the WR corps under his wing. I don't see him as that type of player. His main contribution to the young WR corps would be his route tree knowledge, but I think new OC John Morton will play a role in that department, either first hand or overseeing the progress. You brought up a great example in the chemistry shared between Petty and Anderson. Chemistry that would be otherwise useless if kept on the practice field. Having the younger players develop together would also be greatly beneficial in terms of overall team chemistry and culture: "This our team now, the new Jets". If we had a clear cut starter and were closer to competing then I would make more of a case in keeping Decker, but as of now it's an open competition and having him on the field will not help decide the starter. Give the reps to the WR's of the future and help expedite the chemesty building process .. isn't it part of what we are tying to accomplish in 2017?

8. TonyFtLaud

This season should be all about the young guys. I agree that Morton will be instrumental in the development of the young Recievers. Look at the job he did in New Orleans.

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The answer to your question is a resounding "YES!" Decker could help Pettenberg and the young WRs that much, certainly a heck of a lot more than a few reps for some young WRs who may never amount to a hill of beans. I can't believe that you can't see that. One of the things this team and any young team needs most of all is leadership. Decker provides that in spades.

10. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

11. DefenseWinsChampionships

I always felt like Decker was a must have security blanket for a young QB like Hack.

But maybe Macc knows something we don't. Maybe Decker's not 100% right health wise or maybe Macc needs to see what we have in Quincy Enunwa and Robby Anderson as our new 1-2 punch at receiver.

Or maybe Macc simply wants to open up a window of opportunity for the likes of Charone Peake out of Clemson and ArDarius Stewart out of Alabama to compete for WR #3.

And after going WR 3rd & 4th rounds maybe Macc doesn't want to stunt the development of Chad Hansen with Decker ahead of him on the depth chart.

Jalin Marshall now has a chance to compete as an underdog too.

Now if Maccagnan and Bowles name a 38 year old career loser in McCown as opening day starter? O.k then I'll agree that we're in tank mode.

But with the release of Decker i see it more as a way to both continue the youth movement already started and also as a way to create more comp at the WR position amongst young guns while still tryng to compete.