Should we keep Eric Decker?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Footballgod214, May 15, 2017.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I've been trying to figure out how MacCagnan feels about this team....does he think Hack is the real deal, or is Macc playing for the pick of the litter in the 2018 draft?

Macc didn't take a QB in this years draft. Does that mean he thinks he already HAS our franchise QB in Hack, or does it only mean Macc didn't like any of the project coming out this year?

I think the position Macc takes on Eric Decker will tell us everything we need to know about our chances in 2017. If Macc truly feels Hack is the real deal and we have a good shot at making a run, he will re-up Decker and let Decker lead the way in our young stable of WRs.

If, on the other hand, Macc is playing for 2018, he will probably cut Decker and just go with his 'youth movement'.

I think the way Macc rules on Decker will tell us everything we need to know. What do you think? Are we in 'win now mode', and if so, do we keep Decker?

2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

IMO if Mac were going to cut Decker, he would have done it right after the draft, once he didn't take any QBs. That Decker is still on the team means Mac wants to give Hack/Petty a fair shot at proving themselves. For 6M (what we could recover by cutting him), I think it's worth it. Ultimately, Mac hopes Hack/Petty will be the QB of the future, but if they fail, we should be in position for a top pick next year.

3. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing, but I don't know the rules about cutting a person on IR (from the previous season). Macc's hands may be tied until closer to TC. Anyone know for sure?

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. I think Mac will keep Decker to help Petty and/or Hack develop. Having Enunwa and basically a bunch of young WRs wouldn't set Petty and Hack up for success, but rather failure. I think he believes in them and wants to give them every chance to develop, but if they don't show significant progress or look like they can be the Jets QB of the future, then he will look to take a QB in the 2018 draft.

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  5. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

He has to keep Decker to see what he has in Hack. Also keeping Decker has nothing to do with "win now" he knows by warranting Hack with a 2nd round pick he needs to give him a shot. If you give Hack that shot you need to at least give him a solid player to evaluate how he plays with someone who has had a solid career. If he throws Hack out there with just a few young kids and he stinks you pretty much look like a fool and it might cost you your job.

6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

If he comes back healthy I'd like him back so Hack can sink or swim with legit WR's

We need to learn about hack this year one way or the other ... Give him a fair evaluation

Freddy Mondo and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Is he even healthy at this point? [I don't think you can cut an injured player.]

That said, I thought this year's QB crop was very - VERY - underwhelming to say the very least. Petty or Hack will get their shot, and that will be this year. So, having a sure-handed WR for the young QB can't hurt. [Provided Decker comes back healthy in time.]

I was encouraged to see Petty develop a good chemistry with Robby Anderson last year. That he could develop some chemistry with a scout team WR in itself is an achievement, if I might add. If Petty gets more snaps with other WRs, he will do better. [Compare that with Kellen Clemens. He always looked like a complete piece of shit whenever he stepped in for relief.] As for Hack, I haven't seen much so I will reserve comment.

Footballgod214 and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

With all the young WR's we have in camp it would help to have someone who runs such great routes. If he's not healthy enough to start the season they can always cut his ass. I don't know what the cap hit is though.

10. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Decker provides veteran leadership to a team in the midst of a youth movement...his worth not only translates to the field but also the locker room.
    We may be starting one of 2 very raw inexperienced QB's who deserve a legitimate shot to show if they have what it takes to be the future of the franchise...to take away a player like Decker would be a detriment in my opinion.

11. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

IMO it has nothing to do with who is playing QB...I am not sure how well these 3 QBs on Jets play even if we had b Marshall back and had a rotation of Julio Jones and Antonio Brown lol

You evaluate Decker vs your crop of WRs : OK theres Enunwa R Anderson Jalin Marshall and Charon Peake your experienced/go to guys

After that the bottom drops out with lots of unknowns and rookies/ injured eg D Smith Q patton Hammond Jennings M White J white J Hill Ardarius Stewart Cannon, Marks, Estime...who are these guys??? You need to find out by TC

So why in the world would you let one of your most experienced WR go at this point? There is absolutely more "youth" on your roster than older Vets like Decker

I say have him stick around a year or two

JetDan likes this.
  12. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

They will keep Decker and try to load up on "solid" pieces at the WR position.

This teams seems to be trending toward having 1-2 above average WRs and several solid WRs that can run crossing routes underneath to give the QB more dink and dunk options.

While Anderson, Peake, Marshall are by no means locks to make an NFL roster, they showed at least SOME promise last year. They are hoping Leggett can be a steal as well although i think he will amount to ST and that's about it.

If Hack truly does have "it" between the ears, maybe Mac is banking on this philosophy to pan out.

13. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

He's not a part of the future, he can't stay on the field, and he costs too much.

I'd say trade him for something but Macc hasn't learned that aspect of the job quite yet.

14. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

With Decker the WR corps is above average- without Decker you are relying way to much on the young guys.
    Decker has been a leader on and off the field-and a valued member of the locker room. He was productive his first year without anyone with talent throwing to him- even more productive the next year with a decent QB. Yes he was hurt last year, but no way you cut him.

FJF likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

I have to disagree with your first statement. IMO whether or not Decker stays has everything to do with who is playing QB. In order to succeed, QBs need a WR they can trust, who they know is gonna run good routes, get open, make the catch and move the chains. Regardless of who was playing QB, you'd want a quality, proven WR like Decker, but it's especially vital/critical when you have a young QB who is inexperienced. A veteran WR like Decker can help settle and steady a rookie QB, offer advice in the huddle, be a real leader on offense, and be someone who will help boost the QBs confidence with successful play and help him get into a rhythm, whereas rookies/younger players are more inconsistent and erratic.

Those aren't the only reasons that Decker should stay. With that many young, inexperienced WRs, there's no way possible the position coach can work one-on-one with all of them. Having an experienced WR who is a great route runner like Decker is like having another coach on the field. He leads not only by example but by word. He gives the young players someone to compete against to try to raise the level of their play.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

Can't stay on the field? How can you even begin to make that claim? That's ridiculous and flat out wrong. He was injured last season. It happens. He missed one game each of his first two seasons with the Jets. Prior to that he didn't miss a game for 3 straight seasons. The season before that, his rookie season, he missed two games.

He doesn't cost too much for a player of his caliber. He is a leader on offense, and the Jets really don't have any other leaders on that side of the ball.

He doesn't have to be a part of the future. He can be an important bridge in helping our young QBs and WRs who quite possibly will be a big part of our future develop this season and the offense to get established.

Leicester Jet likes this.
  17. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Before last season he missed maybe 2 of 92 games, how does that mean he can't stay on the field? Obviously I did not count the 2 games as a rookie he was a healthy scratch.

He is the 16th highest paid WR and while it may be a little high for him, do you really want to go into a season with Enunwa and Anderson as the #1&#2? A season where evaluation of the young QBs is of paramount importance. Decker for $7M is worth it to have that experience out there to help out both the young QBs as well as the young WRs.

Besides, what do you think they would get back in trade to make it worth the $5.75M savings?

18. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Excellent post. I can't find a single sentence against which to argue.

I'm not a huge Decker fan, but I think he should stay on the team for the 2017 season. The Jets aren't exactly overflowing with reliable vets on offense these days.

19. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

First, I think Decker can still be cut .. we will see when it's time for his physical. If he does stay in 2017, just how effective will he be after two surgeries?

Second, I don't think keeping or cutting Decker should be any indication of how the front office feels about Hackenberg. It will be an indication of how the front office feels about Decker.

Lastly, IMO the front office will have to look at the whole picture. While a healthy Decker could help a young QB, will it make or break his season .. I think not. Assessing and evaluating Pettenberg and deciding wether to anoint one the starter will be based on progress not success. Removing Decker from the equation also means more reps for the young players. With Decker definitely being on another NFL team come 2018, you can make the arguement that playing him would be like playing McCown.

Don't get me wrong, I like Decker, but I think Pettenberg playing without a receiver that will be gone come 2018 and gaining chemistry with those that will be, would be just as beneficial as to helping our young QB make a few completions.

20. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

So if the QB means everything and then Drew Brees was the QB we would not need him? If Eli or Payton Manning were Qb for the Jets we should CUT Decker???

As you pointed out in your second paragraph its not everything but in fact one in a number of reasons. I get the fact as a Vet he can settle the inexperience QB but as I pointed out your WR corp has a lot of questions and that in itself is a reason he stays