Should the NFL bring back NFL Europe?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, May 23, 2017.

1. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Currently the NFL is the only pro sports league that doesn't have a minor league.

How is a guy like Hack supposed to get better sitting on his ass?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. joe

joe Well-Known Member

3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

He's getting mentored.. What else do you want??? Sheesh!!!

westiedog1 likes this.
  4. JethroTull

He's getting mentored by whom? Josh McCown and Ryan Fitzpatrick? Two of the worst QBs in the NFL?

Freddy Mondo, Royal Tee and Jets69 like this.
  5. Cman68

Yep.. Chalk that up to the Jets' well known ability to mentor and develop young Qb's.. History speaks for itself when it comes to the Jets.

6. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Not by Jets standards.

Royal Tee likes this.
  7. JethroTull

Maybe they can bring Mark Brunell back?

Cman68 likes this.
  8. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

You're just doing this so I hang myself, right? The only thing these guys "took under their wings" is their wallets.

NYJetsO12, Freddy Mondo and Cman68 like this.
  9. Cman68

He'd be cheaper than McCown and Fitz and probably more effective in the long term as he wouldn't be competing for a starting job.

10. Cman68

It's not me Rale.. Its the FO/CS and this insane idea that losing Qb's can offer winning advice to inexperienced young Qb's after an entire career of losing. Jet logic escapes even the deepest of thinkers sometimes..

westiedog1 likes this.
  11. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Winston Churchill was all over this shit thirty years before the Jets were even incorporated:

“When the situation was manageable it was neglected, and now that it is thoroughly out of hand we apply too late the remedies which then might have effected a cure. There is nothing new in the story. It is as old as the sibylline books. It falls into that long, dismal catalogue of the fruitlessness of experience and the confirmed unteachability of mankind. Want of foresight, unwillingness to act when action would be simple and effective, lack of clear thinking, confusion of counsel until the emergency comes, until self-preservation strikes its jarring gong–these are the features which constitute the endless repetition of history.”​

Jay Bizniss and Cman68 like this.
  12. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

I'll try to steer this back on-topic, unless the thread was meant to be for some extra credit Hack bashing.

Yes, the NFL should do that, but they won't. They prefer to have an actual NFL franchise there. NFL Europe, if launched now, would be more successful than it was 15 years ago.

alleycat9 and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I don't think it will, it is all well and good you sending two proper teams over for us to watch as people are going to watch as fans of American football, we all have a team of our own, why the fuck would I want to switch my allegiance to London cockernee gits when I have the Jets (er wait, hang on what am I saying lol) we don't go in for switching teams, probably one of the worst things about the NFL is franchises moving cities, it is horrible, only one team in English football have done it and they are still reviled for it, also there is a north south divide in the UK and it pisses northerners off that London is all that is considered for such things and then to add the NFL Europe part, that is even more unforgiving and everybody hates everybody else and after Brexit they all hate the UK lol so I can't see how a team Europe can get a whole bunch of loyal fans tbh

14. If NFL Europe is re-launched it should not be a minor league system for the NFL but rather its very own league. Thats the best way to grow the game Create something similar to Fifa's transfer market that can further globalize the game. It may take 30 years & of course the top NFL teams will swoop in for stand out talent early on, but that'd be the smart investment.

I'm 100% for a true minor league system. I think it's pivotal w. where the game is at especially w. players shelf life decreasing significantly. It's gonna become more & more about getting prospects into the pipeline as early as possible. The NCAA "free farm league" maybe coming to an end. That said, forget Europe..all that does is complicate the logistics & put unreasonable objectives in place. There are plenty of small to medium sized markets in North America that would love a piece of the football $ pie.

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I posted an article last year about a couple of former NFL players and others (I think some former big shot from ESPN) are forming a minor league. I think initially it will have 4-6 franchises and all in California, if memory serves me correctly. The franchises will not be affiliated with NFL teams. It will be for high school football players who don't want to or can't go to college and college drop outs. It may amount to nothing, but there are some smart people behind it, so it could develop and expand. I can't remember if it starts this year or next, but its season will not be during regular football season.

I definitely think that a minor league is needed for the NFL and that it would behoove each team to have a minor league franchise. The problem is that it would cost a ton of money. There would be all the players', coaches', trainers', administrators', and scouts' salaries. There'd be insurance, uniforms, equipment, training facilities, medical personnel. They'd either have to rent stadiums from universities (and many probably would not be open to that), play in high school facilities, or build stadiums. NFL owners are greedy. I can't see their shelling all that money out of their pockets.

NFL teams could try to sell franchises to recoup part of the expenses, but how would the franchise owners recoup all the money they invest? They surely couldn't get it from ticket prices, PSLs or TV licenses.

As popular as football is, I think a minor league system would flourish, but I'll be surprised if it happens.

alleycat9 likes this.
  16. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

I think it would be great for secondary markets in the US and Canada. I live in Portland, people worship soccer here because there is literally no pro football within 4 hours drive.

#16 pdxdrew, May 24, 2017
    Last edited: May 24, 2017
    KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  17. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

The NFL already has a minor league, and it's great because they pay NOTHING for it. No salaries for the players, and fans actually pay to watch. It's called NCAA College Football.

FJF and NYJetsO12 like this.
  18. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

The problem is that's pretty much what NFL Europe was supposed to be when it was first launched as the World League. A bunch of tryouts and undrafted guys. It didn't create any sort of hold in its home market and didn't survive much longer than the novelty period in Europe, outside of a few cities. The London team imploded within a decade. Could it work now? Sure, it's possible, but the NFL would have to spend a lot to ensure it does and do a hell of a lot of groundwork to find a way of making it viable and I don't think there's an appetite for that among the owners.

19. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I agree with Jethro. A spring development league would be great for young players. Especially one's like Hackenberg and Petty. This is something I have thought about for quite awhile. A 6-Team / 6-Week season starting in the Spring is a great idea in my opinion.

20. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

There shouldn't be expectations of making money with the league, but it would be a great chance to develop players, keep Refs working full-time and also to develop young coaches. It's a benefit to the league overall.

NCJetsfan likes this.