Should the Jets trade up for Rosen or Darnold?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by grkmanga31, Sep 28, 2017.

1. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I have not subscribed to the idea that we are somehow a competent or a good team after we demolished the dolphins but I've seen quite a few posters echo the sentiment that we may be good enough to not finish with a top 2 or 3 pick. With that being said, I wanted to gauge the sentiments of posters as to whether the Jets should trade up for Darnold or Rosen, and if not should we sign Cousins?

What kind of compensation would it take for the Jets to jump from 4 or 5 to 1st or 2nd?

Would you consider offloading current Jets players in a trade?

2. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Whatever it takes.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Flat NO to Cousins.

It depends...

- If Rosen continues to show that he's a true FQB along the lines of P. Manning?
    - What draft position are the Jets starting from?
    - What's the "ransom" being charged?

I would go pretty damn high to get him if the first variable is true. I don't know if I would say "blank check" at this point.

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

no, costs too much, you end up with a young qb with a stripped down roster because you gave up premium draft picks. i'd go all in on cousins if we are sitting outside the top 2, if we can't sign cousins, lamar jackson is still a good prospect, barkley is an option also

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  5. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Yes you trade up for Darnold If the opportunity presents itself. Hard to really answer without knowing the details but I’d probably be willing to give up just about anything.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Agreed. Do not want to trade the farm, especially in a deep draft that we absolutely need to rebuild the offense in.

I question how far the Bears would want to trade down, now that I think about it. Connor Williams, the tackle from Texas has gotten abused a couple times this year.

Let's say the Bills finish with the 10th pick and want to move back. Do the Bears want to move down that far and risk not getting a guy like Trey Adams (potential cornerstone offensive tackle)?

If this were a weak offensive draft I'd be more apt to trading up for one of these guys. But it's extremely deep at all the positions we need; offensive line, and receiver in particular.

FJF likes this.
  7. FJF

like @101GangGreen101 said in another thread, if we miss rosen/darnold a barkley/jackson combo while trading back into the first would be a huge win. i know it doesn't satisfy the o line, but we have plenty of cash

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Center is the position I worry about more than tackle. We haven't been that bad on the edge this year. Beechum was always known as a solid pass protector anyways and Shell has shown life this year.

Wesley Johnson has gotten abused by opposing nose tackles this year. There aren't many centers available in free agency really. Weston Richburg on a bad Giants offensive line. Ryan Jensen from the Ravens is the starter. John Sullivan (33) starts for the Rams.

There's more tackles available but again not a ton. I think I could live with another year of Beechum.

Nate Solder (30) headlines the class. Greg Robinson, former top 5 pick, is filling in for Taylor Decker on the Lions. He's actually a decent blocker from what I've seen but an absolute penalty machine. Chris Clark from the Texans has starting experience, but if he's the guy that's been filling in for Duane Brown he's been awful.

Byron Bell is an interesting case. He's been a starter for 5 years of his career, and is now a backup for the Cowboys. Can't speak to his effectiveness, but that's a lot of football.

I'd really love to see us grab Solder and solidify the spot for the next 3-4 years.

#8 Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 28, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

And I don't think the Jets have to give up the farm to move up a few spots either. If we revisit the Teddy Bridgewater Trade:

The Vikings sent the Seahawks their second round pick (No. 40 overall) and fourth round pick (No. 108). I believe they moved up like 9 or 10 spots. Seattle picked 45th post trade. So should Rosen be gone, take Barkley at the top. Take the Jets pick or perhaps maybe the Seattle 2nd round pick (things don't look too hot over in Seattle after losing to the Titans) and move up to grab Jackson.

Keep one of the 2nd round picks and take the best available lineman. Barkley, Lamar Jackson, Q, Robby and ASJ? Add another receiver, fix up the line and that offense looks deadly.

FJF likes this.
  10. FJF

What is kearse's contract situation?
    Q, kearse,Robby,Stewart,Hansen wouldn't be bad would it? I'd hate to add a big piece and not develope one or both of the 2 rookies. Other than that. I almost like that better than Rosen/darnold at the top.

11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Oh yeah I keep forgetting about Kearse ... looks like we have him until 2019 ... we do have a surplus of receivers, perhaps we don't need another one, I agree. I do think the Jets lack a big red zone target on the outside, but I think ASJ could fulfill that role as Morton uses his TEs efficiently.

[​IMG]

I think Jackson is straight up getting disrespected, people say he's not pro ready, but Josh Allen isn't nearly as pro ready in comparison to Jackson. I think Rosen, Darnold and Jackson are my top 3 in that order through 4(?) weeks.

I would have a hard time, not going with that scenario either. The top QB isn't always the best and history has told us the better prospect tends to fall in a deep QB class.

12. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

With Cleveland and Buffalo having a ton of 1st and 2nd round picks and wanting a QB there is no way the Jets can move up and over them without throwing in players to get there and that assumes those two teams aren't already picking ahead of the Jets to begin with.

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The problem with a trade up for a top 2 pick is that it is so expensive that it prevents you from filling appropriately around the QB selected. Then 3 or 4 years later you have to give the guy a huge contract even though he is unlikely to be in position to win a Super Bowl for you.

Modern NFL talent dynamics make trades up a loser for most teams that attempt them. This is because there's a real chance that the guy will fail after the over-investment but even if he succeeds the talent and cap-onomics around the move aren't very favorable for high level success.

14. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

Rosen yes, darnold no. From the looks of it Darnold really needs another year at school.

Would trading up for Rosen prevent us from drafting other players to surround him with?

15. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

See what happens when you grab a win in a tank year?? Problems like this

My quick answer is to get back to losing (sounds terrible but necessary) to win the draft pick

I also believe they are producing better QBs these days e.g. C Wentz who did not even go to a top school So I think we should make a shot to move up with some smoke and mirrors e.g.trade a Couple of our better players and some but not all later round picks

This is really a thread for mid season based on the W-L record...nice to speculate though

Jmho

16. Jonathan_Vilma

He's certainly been proving myself wrong thus far. Improving his completion percentage 7 points since last year. We could be in a tough predicament. Do we 'reach' for Jackson or pray he makes it to the late first/early second?

There are several teams that'll be picking in the teens/early twenties looking for their next signal caller. The Cardinals, Saints, Jaguars (maybe?), Bills come to mind. Hell all three of the teams who struck gold in 04'; Giants, Chargers, and Steelers could be looking for their QB of the future. If we want Jackson we'll need to take him where we sit in the top 5 IMO.

17. Jonathan_Vilma

Pretty much. There's 4-5 teams that will be willing to trade their whole draft to get Rosen. Bills, 49ers and Browns all have a lot more ammo than we do.

18. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Just look at the Eagles and Rams, two teams that understand the importance of the QB position. Two teams that identified a need at the most important position and gave up a lot to go get their guy. Two teams that now look to have a bright future because of those two guys and two teams that couldn’t give a shot about the draft picks they gave up to get them. Go get your QB.

Also to anyone saying yes to Rosen and no to Darnold, that is just crazy talk. Both Darnold and Rosen are top notch QB prospects and whichever team gets them will have a bright future.

19. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Trade the farm for Rosen. Spent FA $ on OL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

20. FJF

problem there is, real good o lineman rarely hit the open market. if we could move up using just 2018 picks i would be all for it, not sure it is possible with the bills and browns having so many premium picks

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.