Seven consecutive seasons without playoffs

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Au contraire... It's the middle of the road that makes it illegal. The people who want no distractions in the workplace.

2. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

To be honest i care less about that streak and more about not having the vision of wanting to build something sustainable here... Owner has killed that from happening. Anytime we start to look like we are tearing it down, building a culture and building right woody caves to fan/media pressure walks away mid rebuild and we end up bringing in older guys and spending tons of cap to maybe sneak in as a wild card.

we ignored long term replacments at the most important spots: LT/Edge Rusher/QB/CB

We will continue to be a joke until woody becomes a silent owner and 100% hands football input and decision making over to a president who wants to build a culture and build something sustainable.

I compare us to the Brooklyn Nets. Joke of a GM, threw away picks and now left with a gutted roster. but ownership learned their lesson, brought in a popovich/spurs disciple who isnt interested in a quick turnaround and is building a new culutre. thats what we need here.

3. Witz55

Witz55 Member

I have had season tickets and now a PSL for 32 years and have been to 3 home playoff games! Now that is hideous and based on the current roster it will be at least a few more seasons before we can sniff at a home playoff game. Absolutely incredible and sad.......aaaah the life of a Jets fan.

4. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I think the gutting of the roster is ownerships attempt at embarking on a true rebuild. Assuming all goes well and we don't screw up by winning meaningless games then we will then secure a top pick in a stacked QB draft. That is a great starting point of getting your franchise back on a winning path. But it will take a clear approach that focuses on the strength of the QB, and surrounding the QB with help and good players.

Witz55 likes this.
  5. GTA_G20

GTA_G20 Member

This is the funniest thread I've ever read here I believe lol

I just did my fantasy draft and from 12 teams there was 0 jets selected. I couldn't even find one to choose.

I won't bewatching any games this season. None

6. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Imagine how Rex feels. In seven years he went from almost taking the Jets to two Super Bowls to probably never getting another HC gig ever again.

Bellows1 likes this.
  7. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

I hate how the Rex era ended. Honestly he should still be our head coach simply because he gave us that identity we lacked for so long. But the whole circus thing kinda ruined it.

8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

And he deserves it.

LarryAlRalph likes this.
  9. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Seven consecutive seasons without playoffs.....49 w/o a Super Bowl Appearance....:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

ColoradoContrails and FJF like this.
  10. Witz55

Witz55 Member

Based on where Rex is now and what transpired after he left the Jets, he was in the right place at the right time when he took the Jets to those 2 playoff runs. Lucky for him. The fans however live and die with the success and failures of their team and get no money for whatever transpires. Rex was entertaining but lacking something when it comes down to being a truly successful head coach. That's why he's not coaching today.

11. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Then the people in your league are potatoes.

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  12. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

If Powell wasn't drafted in a 12 team league, you have dumb friends.

13. Br4d

UCLA, USC, Wyoming, Louisville, etc.

No games, pah! :)

BrowningNagle likes this.
  14. Br4d

Rex got the benefit of Mangini's drafts plus Woody Johnson spending a ton on free agents plus his own ability to use defensive pieces in new and startling ways.

Then the Jets drafts started to blow chunks and the vet free agents got hurt or retired and the NFL got an eyeful of the shock and awe blitzing and adjusted and it all fell apart.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

There's no doubt that Rex inherited a good team made better by the Bart Scott and Jim Leonard signings. But Rex still deserves credit for his coaching in those two playoff runs.

There's no doubt he was a flawed coach; he was t great but that doesn't equate to him being bad either. He has all the potential to be a very good coach.

16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I'm a big college football fan this year!!

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

the game has changed. Rex's defense is obsolete.

When you are defensive oriented and can't develop any offensive players at least make sure your defense is good. Instead he runs an antiquated defense. Buffalo was smart to get out when they did

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

oh yea? I'll mustard bumping this thread!

19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

The circus was his identity

Jeti likes this.
  20. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Not originally. First 3 years we were not then the roof fell in, well the tent.