Senior Bowl News

Discussion in 'Draft' started by legler82, Jan 23, 2018.

1. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

If Sean Payton has a genuine interest in Mayfield, as the reports indicate, this piques my attention.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

He fits that offense like a glove. Can play in a dome for half the season too.

3. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

My deduction is: Mayfield has been likened to Brees. Payton is interested in Mayfield, therefore Payton believes Mayfield can fill Brees' shoes.

Well, if that's the case, get me Mayfield.

Brook!, NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. jetstopgun

jetstopgun Well-Known Member

Josh Allen stock is rising I’m hearing he may be second QB pick ..... Accuracy has improved every day .... With his good attitude I hear the Broncos are looking hard at him ...... I hear people questioning this kid Rosen from UCLA has a bit of an attitude wouldn’t be surprised if he’s there at six ...... one of these guys will slip to us

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

8 home dome games, 1 in atl in a dome, 1 in Carolina where the temps are moderate and 1 in Tampa . 11 games in which the weather is not a factor

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  6. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

7. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Mayfield + Payton ~= Brees
    Mayfield + Bates < > Brees

8. 101GangGreen101

its not that easy though, Brees had one of the strongest work ethics in NFL history in terms of playing the QB position.

9. 101GangGreen101

Defenses are OK in that division as well. Might as well call it the Big 12 of the NFL. Offense wins that division.

FJF likes this.
  10. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Rosen and Darnold declared for Draft. How does this impact Jets' offseason and draft plans?
    Post by: legler82, Jan 6, 2018 in forum: Draft

Brook! likes this.
  11. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

You don't but I'm sure plenty of NFL GM's do. I think he's going to end up being drafted in the top 10, even if there is better positional talent on the board.

It happens every draft.

On the contrary, it does not seem like Allen did himself any favors at the senior bowl and has hurt his stock.

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/1/26/...aft-baker-mayfield-josh-allen-shaquem-griffin

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ec-says-josh-allen-hit-or-miss-at-senior-bowl

There's a lot left to go between the combine, private workouts and pro-day's but I'd hedge my bet on Baker going top 10 versus Allen going top 10.

Who really knows though.

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Guide to Pre-Draft Hype:

1. If reports of a players value rising or slipping come out treat them with a dune of salt. Teams lie like a rug all through the draft process for competitive reasons. Agents lie like a rug all through the draft process to promote their clients and damage other prospects.

If the reports are consistent and coming from everywhere ignore the paragraph above.

Ex: Teddy Bridgewater.

2. If fact-based stuff, like arrests and non-football injuries, are reported pay close attention because guys who have stuff happen between the end of the college season and the draft often fall dramatically on draft day - even if they were very hyped prior to that. Teams can't spend a lot of time re-evaluating a player when something happens late in the process - the simpler solution is just to take them off the board and keep working on the prospects with no issues.

Ex. La'el Collins.

3. If a former coach says anything negative about a player pay close attention because the NFL trusts the coach more than the prospect. Coaches don't come out and devalue one of their former players without a solid reason. It hurts them in recruiting and in finding their next gig if they were fired.

Ex. Mark Sanchez

4. If a player seems to be rated well above where his college career suggests by everybody pay attention. The NFL doesn't go nuts over a player with lesser credentials for no reason.

Ex. Odell Beckham, Jr.

5. If a player is controversial going into the draft process he's probably going to stay that way throughout the process. Nobody can clear up several years of controversy with a planned reincarnation prior to the draft. Don't expect controversy to go away and clarify things. It's just part of the player's package by draft day.

Ex. Warren Sapp

Brook! and Red Menace like this.
  13. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Luke Falk is leaving the Senior Bowl to go to his former teammate Tyler Hilinski's funeral on Saturday. So we will not get to see him play, but totally understand why he's leaving. He has shined throughout the week.

Harpua, Red Menace and FJF like this.
  14. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

MOBILE, Ala. -- After three days of practices at the Senior Bowl, here's what caught my eye while watching some of the nation's top prospects compete in front of NFL GMs, scouts and coaches.

QBs Baker Mayfield (Oklahoma) and Josh Allen (Wyoming): The QBs that have everybody talking are Mayfield and Allen. Both those guys have ability and showed they can make plays. But the footwork is what they'll need to work on most. The coaches here were really tough on the QBs about their footwork, and that's something they'll go back and work on as they train for the NFL Scouting Combine. Allen, when he misses, he can miss badly. I thought QB Luke Falk from Washington State quietly had a solid week.

OG Isaiah Wynn, Georgia: I thought Wynn, the Georgia tackle who played guard this week, was the most intriguing guy here. He had a dominant week of practice. He's helped himself a great deal.

DE Marcus Davenport, Texas-San Antonio: He probably didn't win as many one-on-one drills as I thought he would. He basically just showed bull rush all week long. He has great size and ability; he's just very raw. I saw toughness from him. I think you'll see his pass-rush moves develop, so I think he's going to be fine. I think he's a first-round guy. He just didn't quite jump off the page in one-on-one drills like you thought he might.

CB Michael Joseph, Dubuque: He really flashed. I don't know about his long speed. I don't know if he's fast enough to play corner -- we'll find out at the combine. But if he's not fast enough, then he's a nickelback. I might like him at nickel anyway because of his quickness and ball skills.

LB Shaquem Griffin, UCF: I love Griffin. He has a lot of energy. I think the worst-case scenario with him is he'll be a really good special-teams player. He's like several of the linebackers here, and USC's Uchenna Nwosu is another one, in that they're all edge guys who will have to learn to play standing up as off-the-ball linebackers. If they can do that, it'll help their draft stock because they've all shown they can come off the edge. In the NFL, they won't be long enough to be edge guys full-time. So they have to learn to come off the ball like Haason Reddickdid last year, then be a situational pass rusher.

OT Alex Cappa, Humboldt State: He's intriguing. He showed some nastiness out there.

OG Will Hernandez, UTEP: He carries 340 pounds tremendously well. He's a mauler.

OT Brian O'Neill, Pitt: He is the opposite of Hernandez. He's long and very athletic, a former tight end and basketball player. He could put on some more weight, but he had a solid week.

TEs Troy Fumagalli (Wisconsin) and Mike Gesicki (Penn State): Both these guys are matchup nightmares, a lot like Zach Ertz.

DT Harrison Phillips, Stanford: I really like Phillips. I think he has power. He's a nice combination of power and some quickness. He has longer arms and more ability to bend than a lot of people think. He's going to be a heck of a player.

Personally I believe Mayock simply follows the crowd as well but when a player is on his radar, he will talk him up nonstop. I believe Falk has caught his attention and will slowly creep up the draft board as long as he does a good job from now till draft day.

I also believe the 2 TE he mentioned will be all pro players once they hit the NFL, Fumagali has been awesome for a couple of seasons now.

It also seems like this will be a good and deep draft for offensive line help, plenty of guys making names for themselves.

Hopefully Mac sees the strength of this draft and drafts accordingly.

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The Jets need to do whatever it takes to get Baker Mayfield. He's gonna make which ever team drafts him very happy for the next 15 years.

nicg4360 and 6-10 once again like this.
  16. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I'm starting to see him as very different than Johnny Manziel as I had concerns about before. Ultimately I agree and would be excited to get him at 6 if he's there.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

OG Isaiah Wynn, Georgia: I thought Wynn, the Georgia tackle who played guard this week, was the most intriguing guy here. He had a dominant week of practice. He's helped himself a great deal.

Personally I believe Mayock simply follows the crowd as well but when a player is on his radar, he will talk him up nonstop. I believe Falk has caught his attention and will slowly creep up the draft board as long as he does a good job from now till draft day.
    [/QUOTE]

Falk is seeming more intriguing to me. Wonder how the Jets rate him...

Wynn also sounds like a great prospect. Sounds like he's likely to move inside. Wonder if he can play Center too. He could be a great option in the 2nd

Red Menace likes this.
  18. grkmanga31

Per MMQB writer Robert Klemko "He (Baker) met at length with Saints, Bills, Jets & Dolphins."

Jets going to do their due diligence on Baker.

Can see why the Saints would want to draft him as Brees can't play forever. Bills have the 21st and 22nd pick but I don't think that's enough to jump all the way up into 10 to get Baker. Would perhaps happen if he slid out of the top 10.

Dolphins are at 11 and I think they pose the biggest threat in terms of realistically trading up for Baker.

I still think he's a top 10 pick and fully expect that Rosen Darnold Mayfield will all go top 10.

NCJetsfan and JohnnyP123456 like this.
  19. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

TBH I would likely bet that both go in the top 10(barring any extremely negative news coming out).

20. grkmanga31

I really don't know if a GM is going to pull the trigger on Allen in 10. You have to really be in love with QB to do that. If that isn't the case and you're banking on fixing him then that's a whole different matter.

He was very up and down throughout senior bowl practices and I don't think he helped his stock.

Could this change? Of course. In fact I pray the Browns, Giants or Broncos go ahead and pick him up because it further boosts our ability to land Baker.

Allen is that boom or bust QB that will either make someone look like the smartest GM or have that GM fired.