Senior Bowl News

Discussion in 'Draft' started by legler82, Jan 23, 2018.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

no he doesnt.

Josh Allen would be a disaster in NY. Accuracy, mechanics and issues seeing the field. Used to playing against subpar competition. used to cute little wyoming media. Thrown into the wolves in new york. Ouch. It would be a train wreck.

---

Luckily - walterfootball doesn't have a clue. they even admit it, saying they are relying on "their gut feeling" that the Jets like Allen. That's completely meaningless.

If you look at Maccagnan's drafting though- he RARELY selects small school kids. I mean look at it, from 1st round picks to 7th round picks he drafts players at high major schools. Because of that alone I don't see him staking his career on a QB from freaking Wyoming

#201 BrowningNagle, Jan 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    xxedge72x and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

The worst part is he doesn't even light up the sub-par competition. So he doesn't show up at all against any of the Power 5 Schools, but then he also doesn't show up against inferior opponents. Then all of a sudden, he has a solid bowl game and a strong senior bowl.

I need to see much more consistency then that ... do I however take him over Baker Mayfield? Fuck man ...

[​IMG]

If the choice is between those 2, I am going Lamar Jackson.

3. BrowningNagle

you mention Allen's bowl game. That's another thing that pissed me off about Allen. He was going to be another one of those players that skips the bowl game to avoid injury for the NFL. Wyoming's coach really, really wanted him to play. He promised to make the bowl game all about Allen and let him throw it relentlessly in practice and warm ups, making it another "pro day" for Allen. That was the selling point and the only way he could convince Allen to play.

So hours before the game his teammates were in the locker room preparing for the football game they were about to play and instead of being in there with his teammates, Allen was out on the field throwing routes over and over so the NFL scouts could see him and the only way he would agree to actually play later. WTF.

maybe that's not a big deal to some people in this day and age but it really pissed me off. Not a chance you'd see Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, or as you mention, Lamar Jackson pulling stunts like that

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  4. 101GangGreen101

There is nothing legitimately great about this player's character or leadership. He is a straight up project with great physical traits. He was actually a better QB last year, he regressed this year. Decided to turn it up with the scouts were looking. That's not the type of player the Jets need. He's not the next small school great QB. Big Ben was close to being a Heisman candidate and threw 37 TDs. Wentz was a straight up winner in college, and played above the level of competition. Derek Carr was a touchdown machine over in Fresno State.

Josh Allen couldn't hold any of these guys jockstraps.

5. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

100% agree with everything here. The Jets CANNOT get cute with #6.

6. BrowningNagle

I agree he doesn't compare in terms of production to other small school QBs like Roethlisberger, Carr or Wentz.

Joe Flacco maybe??? a big armed QB who only played 2 years against subpar competition and was drafted mostly on his potential.... Flacco at least completed over 60% of his passes I guess. Becoming Joe Flacco is probably a best case scenario for Allen

7. 101GangGreen101

Yeah agreed, I would say Flacco is probably the best comparison at best when it comes to QBs from small schools who don't tear it up. Everyone else puts up #s in several years. I hope the Giants take Josh Allen at 2. Actually I hope Allen and Mayfield go in the top 2 selections. Leaving us somehow with Rosen and Darnold. I hope the Browns and Giants just completely overthink the situation.

8. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Ugh there goes that "project" word again.

9. legler82

Is there a link to this story? The stories I read say he really wanted to play and wasn't even 1005 yet. So the stories of him wanting to play even in the game before the Bowl game were all lies?

10. 101GangGreen101

He is a project. He scrambles around and chucks it down the field. He routinely misses on the same throws Hackenberg missed on.

All the talk about Lamar playing receiver, perhaps Allen, 6'5, 220, I should see if he can catch some passes and be the next great h-back.

If you can get your hands on the Oregon game (I can't find it as of now online --- I saw it live), it will show you why. His lows are so low it looks like he's un-draftable. I am sorry, but I am not putting a lot of stock into the senior bowl. Allen turns it up when the scouts are watching, but plays below the level of competition throughout the regular season.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/1/26/16932920/josh-allen-wyoming-quarterback-hype-nfl-draft

The .gifs in this video, you see him missing throws like this routinely in every game.

11. BrowningNagle

the story that they (particularly Allen) told the media is different from the real story. The real story is what I told you.

You aren't gonna get a link to that because no one told it to the media and the media didn't investigate. Yet another reason why playing in Wyoming is different than playing in NY and why its going to be a shock to this kid. Having a little bubble of protection from the media dishing out harsh realities, as we know, just doesn't happen here

12. legler82

The bold is interesting because you said in your last post that he was better the year before and regressed. I believe the opposite specifically because of the bold. He did that the year before when it was necessary and it actually cost his team a couple of games. He did that far less this past year and if/when he did scramble it was more out of necessity.

The whole notion of him "turning it up when the scouts are watching" is pretty funny. He was a projected top 10 pick; you may not have been but the scouts were always watching. The notion that he was purposely holding back or stinking it up until the Senior Bowl is ridiculous.

I've seen the Oregon game several times. His team got outmatched; my avatar got destroyed by Clemson, does that make him un-draftable?

Him missing throws like that "every" game is hyperbole just like me showing a series of gifs making hero ball TDs would be.

13. 101GangGreen101

Yeah, I loved his aggressive play last year. He could've remained aggressive and learned to pick and choose his battles this year. At times, I felt I wasn't watching the same player I saw last year. This year he played more restricted. Was it coaching? I also didn't see much improvement in terms of his accuracy in the short to medium ranges. Maybe the coaches made him play that way so he can improve, but I don't see a QB that is a master of their respective craft.

You don't think Allen's stock took a hit throughout the regular season? Allen, some scouts will love him unconditionally and ignore what they saw on the field, thinking they will fix him. We just saw this happen with Hackenberg. I mean, the guy was playing like crap against the Boise States, then decides last min to play the bowl game and senior bowl game and all of a sudden we have a QB looking to make every throw possible. So he just turns it on whenever he wants? Stidham might have been destroyed by Clemson, but he still showed a lot more promise in other games. He also has great accuracy and footwork. Lamar got lit up his bowl game too, but those 2 QBs showed far more good then bad.

He routinely misses throws like the .gifs I provided. It happens every single game.

14. 101GangGreen101

BTW about this, Lamar Jackson goes into every game outmatched (accounts for 70+% of his team's offense) ... I bet you, you take Lamar put him on that Wyoming offense, they play much harder.

How can we love Allen, but not talk Lamar who is better in every-way cept not being built like a linebacker? Arm strength isn't as strong as Allen, but probably 2nd best in the class.

(had to endorse him this time around)

15. legler82

The difference is that you LOVE Jackson and I simply don't HATE Allen.

EDIT: Also the talent gap between Wyoming and Oregon or any legitimate FBS school is not the same as Louisville against any opponent.

16. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

This is pure hearsay, bordering on fiction. Allen said himself he wanted to play in the bowl game because Wyoming was the only team that gave him a chance in Div 1 ball and he felt like he owed it to the team.

legler82 likes this.
  17. 101GangGreen101

This is true. I mean, I don't HATE Allen. Do I like him more then Mayfield? I guess so.

Jackson is a good prospect, not QB1, but a prospect, the Jets should be looking hard at. Louisville forgot to recruit an offensive line while Jackson was there too.

18. BrowningNagle

it is what happened. If you dont wanna believe it, that's fine, I dont care. feel free to believe whatever you want.

19. legler82

No doubt, he played more restricted. With the talent attrition on offense, I think the coaches and even he realized that they had a better chance of winning games by being more conservative. He held the ball more, did not take the same chances he took the year before and there was a lot more designed QB runs. They slowed the game down to grind out wins and it worked. The only games they lost with him at the helm were to the legit FBS teams: Oregon, Boise St and Iowa. Games that they may have been able to compete a little in the year before (he beat Boise St in 2016) but had absolutely no shot this past year.

I believe if one is watching the tape correctly, his stock would not have taken a hit and it hasn't. 3rd behind Rosen and Darnold seems like the right slot for him in this class; he was never the best QB prospect in the class as some who loved him after 2016 wanted to proclaim. A lot of his negatives carried over from 2016 but his footwork and decision making improved greatly. He's mostly a piece of clay ready to be molded right now and not a master of anything. Other than Rosen, I don't think any of the top QBs in the class have mastered much of anything either.

20. 101GangGreen101

You got some good points per usual here. I just don't see his improved fundamentals translating in terms of productivity and making more accurate throws. Is him holding onto the ball more, better decision making? Lamar came back his JR year, a much improved quarterback. He is scratching the surface, just as Allen is. I just see Lamar improving at a much faster rate. End of last year, I had Allen has #3, but Lamar jumped ahead of him this year.

I think one thing we can agree on, is we would both take Allen over a Mayfield. I may bash Allen (I probably still will), but I think he's got more translatable skills then a Baker Mayfield. Not sure about him being a leader though.

legler82 likes this.