Seahawks release Richard Sherman Signs w/9ers

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Yisman, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

I find it hard to believe they couldn't have traded him for a draft pick.

2. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

At least 1 NFL team is on record stating they will not consider players that protest during the national anthem.

Sherman does not hesitate to speak his mind on any situation and has been directly critical of the NFL and owners. I wouldn't be surprised if no teams pick him up.

I think if he does sign, it will be with NE.

3. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Madness ....

4. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up re-signing with them for a whole lot less money.

5. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Mark my words. He will be a Jet. He respects Bowles a lot and Bowles loves him.

6. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I see him going straight to the Patriots. He already said he wants to play for a contender, and you know they aren't resigning Butler. He's going to take a discount and sign there, as sick as it makes me.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  7. Sam Hammer

They would be complete idiots then. This isn't Colin Kaepernick, this is a future hall of famer we're talking about. Someone will sign him, yeah mostly likely NE.

8. Jetphan73

Jetphan73 Active Member

washed up bum...do not want.

9. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

He's a future HOFer he'll get signed.

The Jets should sign him.

He'd bring a strong veteran, still CAPABLE presence to the Jets secondary.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  10. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

As of now he is working on a contract with the 49ers.

11. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Disagree. He’s a headache we can’t afford.

12. Royal Tee

13. Royal Tee

The veteran cornerback has agreed to a three-year deal with the 49ers, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported.

14. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I did not see that coming. Wow.

15. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Wow, that didn't take long. I'm sure he'll want to reacquaint himself with his buddy Russell Wilson twice a year for the next few years. Can you say cornerback blitz?

Amazing how believing you have your quarterback of the future changes your attitude about things, isn't it? In the three years between November 27, 2014 and November 26, 2017 the Niners were 9-39, and would have never dreamed of taking on a player like Sherman. Suddenly Garoppolo shows up, goes 5-0, and you know they're planning on challenging the Rams for top of the division. I'm not saying that they are as good as they think they are, but the fact that they think they're as good as they think they are comes from one player showing up.

Red Menace likes this.
  16. abc

abc Well-Known Member

error made in title... mods please delete, thx.

#16 abc, Mar 11, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  17. abc

abc Well-Known Member

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...chard-sherman-joining-49ers-on-3year-39m-deal

Richard Sherman joining 49ers on 3-year, $39M deal
    Richard Sherman's free-agency tour began with the San Francisco 49ers, and it won't extend beyond the Bay Area.

The veteran cornerback has agreed to a three-year deal with the 49ers worth $39 million (including a $5 million signing bonus), NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported.

A text from @RSherman_25 about him agreeing to terms with the 49ers: �I�m excited. A lot of HOF DBs have gone through this incredible organization and I am looking to uphold that standard.�

� Steve Wyche (@wyche89) March 11, 2018
    Sherman was released by the Seattle Seahawks earlier in the week after the team decided it wanted to give the veteran an early start on free agency. The defensive back has been among the league's best for the last five years, becoming a lockdown defender and face of Seattle's Legion of Boom secondary. He's been as excellent as he's been topical, boisterous on the field (backed up by his play) and outspoken off it.

Perhaps his most famous play of his career came in the NFC Championship Game (coincidentally against San Francisco) when Sherman tipped a pass intended for Michael Crabtree in the end zone, resulting in a game-sealing interception and ensuring Seattle's trip to Super Bowl XLVIII, where the Seahawks dominated the Denver Broncos to win the title.

Sherman has dealt with injuries as of late, suffering a season-ending Achilles injury in 2017. He's on the path to returning, rehabbing during the offseason while visiting with prospective employers and promising he'll be back on the field by June, according to NFL Network's Tom Pelissero. He had a meeting scheduled with the Detroit Lions, per Pelissero, but decided one visit would be enough.

Sherman said he wants to play for a contender, and the 49ers could be one rather quickly based on the success enjoyed by the team after acquiring Jimmy Garoppolo. Sherman discussed Friday on KIRO-AM in Seattle what he was looking for in a new team.

"I want to go to a contender," Sherman said. "I play at a high level. I've always been a guy that can work well with others and continue to elevate if my teammates elevate and elevate others.

"...Would I go to a young secondary that is like we were when we were younger and help them grow and help them advance? Sure, if the number looks right and the situation is comfortable for me and my family."

That second scenario sounds a lot like the 49ers.

Armed with $66 million in cap space, 49ers general manager John Lynch was able to throw any number at Sherman. He found a fit at $39 million over three years, including a $5 million signing bonus. Sherman represented himself in contract talks, negotiating without an agent and adding intrigue to the details of his new deal.

Sherman's contract is an incentive-laden prove-it deal -- if he makes the Pro Bowl in 2018, $16 million in base salary is guaranteed from 2019-2020, per Pelissero -- which offers the corner a chance to earn more than he would have in Seattle if he achieves, but also gives San Francisco protection in case he doesn't. More details from Pelissero:

Richard Sherman�s deal includes a $5M signing bonus, plus $2M base salary, $2M in 46-man roster bonuses, $1M playtime incentive and $3M Pro Bowl incentive in 2018. So #49ers get protection, and Sherman gets upside to beat his #Seahawks deal if he plays well. Win-win.

� Tom Pelissero (@TomPelissero) March 11, 2018
    Ian Rapoport reported earlier Saturday Sherman has an affinity for the West Coast, which makes plenty of sense and helps explain such a swift signing. The Southern California native is a Stanford graduate and is familiar with Niners defensive coordinator Robert Saleh, who was Seattle's defensive quality control coach from 2011-2013, Sherman's first three seasons in the NFL. He'll stay in the NFC West while also avoiding having to learn a new scheme.

Hey #Faithful, Gonna be a fun weekend! pic.twitter.com/CAnU4GNikP

� John Lynch (@JohnLynch49ers) March 11, 2018
    With Garoppolo secured and a visible turnaround from his presence, San Francisco has quickly morphed from moribund to promising. Adding Sherman to a secondary in need of a corner will only further improve their chances in 2018 and beyond.

18. Sam Hammer

If there is any truth to the rumor that the Seahawks traded Bennett, released Sherman and put Thomas on the trade block over the anthem protests, then the Seahawks FO are morons. They are letting some of their best players go to division rivals. Both Rams and 49ers beefed up their defenses while the Seahawks got worse. They will finish 3rd or 4th in the division this year over politics if that's true. I doubt it, though. Jokes on them when they give Richardson a big deal and let all the top players go. Forget driving 140 while high with kids in the car endangering lives, kneeling for the flag is the REAL problem.