Screw it, the Jets need to make the trade for the 3rd overall pick, no risk, no reward

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Deathstroke, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Was gonna reply w a longwinded post of my own but you said it all right here.

The “play it safe crowd” has had it their way for a long long time.Weve tried building a team & hoping an FQB falls from the sky including w veteran free agents..its time to take a plunge for the chance at a better tomorrow

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Ridiculous! Indy isn't trading Luck. In 2018, if the Colts were to cut or trade Luck, they'd save $2.2 million on the cap, but take a $22.2 million dead money hit. In 2019 it gets better. They'd save $14.725 million on the cap, but still take a hefty $12.8 million dead money hit on the cap. In 2020, hey'd save $22 million on the cap and only take a $6.4 million dead money charge. Now, I'm not certain about the NFL rules regarding trades, so a lot of the dead money cap hit might be ameliorated, but am pretty certain that any bonus portion of the contract would all escalate into this year. If Luck is healthy, why would Indy trade him, even if the resulting cap hit wouldn't be huge? They'd then be starting all over. If they're willing to trade him, then he's more than likely damaged goods and will never be the same player again.

almbleamal and ColoradoContrails like this.
  3. NCJetsfan

We rarely disagree, but could on this. 5 picks is too much to spend trading up for the #3 QB in this draft, especially 3 #1 picks. It would be one thing if there were a "can't miss" QB that they'd be trading up for, and they were getting the first pick. There isn't a QB like that, and we'd be getting the 3rd option. This is potentially a historic QB draft class. The Jets could get a better QB at #6 than either the Browns or Giants get at #s 1-2 (assuming Denver signs Cousins). With the two #2 picks the Jets could get a great RB prospect and a great edge-rushing prospect, or they could get a very good LT prospect and a great RB prospect. Giving up next year's #1 & #2 picks, they'd have no chance of getting a #1 WR, LT, topnotch CB or edge rushing prospect. If Denver signs Cousins, the only real danger for the Jets is if Buffalo, Miami or another team trades up with Indy or Cleveland, or even Denver. If the Jets are really sold on one of the QBs, and don't like the others that much, imo THAT is the only reason that would justify trading up at this point. Now if Denver doesn't sign Cousins, then I definitely think that the Jets need to trade ahead of Denver.

4. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Why is it I can't get the mental picture out of my head of Bowles talking to Mac about draft picks, not even mentioning QB possibilities and just prattling on about all the incredible things he could do on defense if they are lucky enough to get Chubb. And on the other side of the split screen you see all the QB scouting tapes lying in a pile in the corner of his office with a thin film of dust covering them.

5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

That's the type of "radical" thinking that can turn a team around, and NOT what the Jets ever think of doing. Of course the Jets aren't the only team that has the mindset of "Well we already have a QB. Why would we trade away someone we drafted so highly?" Uh, because you were honest enough to realize that he wasn't the right guy for you, that's why.

Having a FQB is the surest way to win a SB. No, it's not the only way, but it is the way with the highest odds of success, so whatever you do you need to find that guy and then build around him. The Jets philosophy of thinking they can build a strong enough defense and get by with mediocre offense is patently ridiculous and if they continue following this philosophy, I will be an ex-Jet fan.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Having a FQB is the surest way to be a contender year in and year out. A FQB can mask deficiencies on the roster.

7. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Ahahah..so are you saying the brain trust at the Phil Eagles can do a better job than our Mike Mcdoodling?

8. NYJetsO12

Yes. See your point ..but if the Jets are savvy it will only be 4 picks (see Stat Jets reply to my post) where the Eagles made some provision to get back the fifth pick. I think they also were able to also trade Sam Bradford..but got a younger healthier Carson Wentz

In any event the Jets have to be SOLD on one QB over another...considering we need one badly ..personally I hope it's Baker M or J Rosen

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

You almost have to pick a QB at 1 or 2 anymore. Unless you have a really good young one in your hip pocket. Eli is long in the tooth and has been mauled the last few years. If they pass, then they must really like Webb

10. Greensleeves

Greensleeves Well-Known Member

I think we have to trade up regardless. If they land Cousins they will most likely trade back to a QB needy team.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

The rumor has been that Luck wants out of there.

Not all divorces happen for purely football reasons just look at San Diego firing Schottenheimer after a 14-2 season or Jim Harbaugh & San Francisco.

If they trade Luck it doesn't mean Luck is damaged goods sure the injury gave them the opening they needed to move him.

12. WarriorRB28

On opening day 2018 it'll be almost two full years since the last time Luck played in a NFL game.

Supposedly it's a loaded QB draft in 2018.

The Colts have the #3 pick.

Why wouldn't they consider drafting another QB?

They hired a new GM last year I believe they're looking for a new HC this year they're starting over.

13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

That's a reasonable theory, but I would be very leery of taking Luck...I would want an ironclad assurance he's healthy, and how do you get that without seeing him play in live action? If he is healthy, it wouldn't be the worst idea the Jets have had, but I still prefer they draft their FQB and face of the franchise.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. WarriorRB28

None of the QBs in this draft are the QB prospect Luck was coming out of college. None.

Can't miss they said. How many of those come around in sports? Peyton Manning. Lebron. Who else?

In his rookie year he took a team that picked #1 overall to the playoffs.

If the Colts are prepared to move on from Luck some team is gonna get him it might as well be the Jets.

If I'm the Jets I pay the price then give him all the time he needs to get back to 100%. No rush. Then and only then would I unleash him upon the NFL in green & white.:)

The best is yet to come for him. He'd change EVERYTHING for the Jets.

almbleamal and Greensleeves like this.
  15. NCJetsfan

I know that not all football divorces happen for purely football reasons. A lot of them happen for cap reasons, but by the same token, that has also kept a lot of teams from parting ways with players because of the dead money cap hit. I still say that if Luck is healthy and the Colts would incur a big dead money cap hit, there's no way they'll trade him.

16. NCJetsfan

Trading all the picks it would take to get Luck would be insane if he's not healthy! There are no guarantees that he would ever be the same player again or even 100% again. You wanna talk about big gambles. Sorry, but that would be the riskiest move the Jets could make this offseason. The payoff could be a lot bigger, sure, but they could also wind up with a QB who never played a down for them. The Pats and other NFL teams would be laughing at the Jets for decades over that one. If Mac is even contemplating doing that, he should be fired immediately.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  17. NYJetsO12

Oh boy...we just got off the Cousins thing over moving up in the draft..

Now people want a broken down out of Luck...figures..typical SOJ fans

Play it safe play it safe play it safe...Round and Round we go

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Do you have a link to support this "rumor"

You've been talking about Luck for a while now, a pipedream at best. It will never happen.

grkmanga31 likes this.
  19. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

The Colts will not release Andrew Luck if he's healthy. The only way that would happen is if he was threatening to hold out, which there seems to be no indication that's happening. Luck isn't going anywhere so I personally will not consider that as a feasible option.

The more realistic options are A) Sign Kirk or B) Draft a QB.

Now, if we are talking about trading up to 3 then it will likely require a hefty amount of picks. The pick trading scale flies out the window when you're trading up for a QB, and we've seen a bunch of different set ups where teams look great or get fleeced. I don't trust Macc to not get fleeced IMO so I'm scared him moving up will result in us trading multiple 1st round picks and then some.

But then we are faced with the very real possibility that the Jets and Broncos both miss out on Cousins.

Jets fans should be praying that it's either us or the Broncos that land Cousins. Otherwise, trading up may be the only way we secure Mayfield.

If Broncos do get Cousins, then I can see the board breaking like this :
    Browns - Darnold
    Giants - Rosen
    Colts - Saquon Barkley/Quenton Nelson
    Browns - Quenton Nelson or Chubb/Barkley
    Broncos - Quenton Nelson or Chubb - maybe a DB? Minkah Fitzpatrick
    Jets - Mayfield

Leicester Jet and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The Chargers traded Drew Brees to the Saints because he was hurt and they had the top pick. People thought the Saints were taking a big risk at the time because nobody knew if he would recover. In the end it worked well for both teams because the Saints won the SB with him, and Philip Rivers turned out to be a great QB for the Chargers.

Brook! likes this.