Scott Wright's combine update

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jabba the Jet, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Jabba the Jet

Jabba the Jet New Member

NFLDRAFTCOUNTDOWN.com

The following are some of the most notable stories at the Combine:

Vernon Davis, TE, Maryland
    ? Blazed an outstanding time in the forty, clocking in the high-4.3's to low-4.4's.

Marcedes Lewis, TE, U.C.L.A.
    ? Ran a Disappointing time in the 4.8 range as expected.

Vince Young Part II
    ? Upon further review Vince Young did not score a 6 on the Wonderlic after all. It has now come out that his initial test was scored wrong, but rather than just score it correctly they allowed him to take it again and he came through with a 16.

Chad Jackson, WR, Florida
    ? In just 4.32 seconds this guy made himself millions of dollars because that is the time he ran in the forty. Jackson also measured in at 6-0 and 213 lbs. and looked great in the receiver drills. He is now a likely first rounder who is on the rise in a big way.

Jay Cutler, QB, Vanderbilt
    ? Ran a 4.77 in the forty, looked good in passing drills, has done great in interviews and even put up an amazing 23 reps of 225 lbs. in the bench press. This guy just continues to impress and he could very easily be chosen before Vince Young. In fact, in my next mock (which is coming soon) I will have Cutler going to the New York Jets at #4

Mike Kudla, DE, Ohio St.
    ? Just tied the Scotuing Combine record for reps of 225 lbs. at 45 and he was actually a little disappointed.

Offensive Linemen Who Impressed
    ? Don't think the big guys can't impress at this venue! Eric Winston of Miami (FL) ran a 4.94 and looked excellent in all the drills. Ohio St.'s Nick Mangold ran a 5.05 and also handled himself really well and is now in serious contention for round one. Marcus McNeill of Auburn ran a very impressive 5.07 at 336 pounds but the medical checks on his back will be the key for him. Winston Justice of Southern Cal did not run but took part in all the drills and did very well, showcasing his athleticism. Charles Spencer of Pitt also did well and looked very athletic and nimble for a guy who checked in at 352 pounds.

Running Back Results
    ? The first group of running backs worked out and Joseph Addai of L.S.U. (4.40), Maurice Drew of U.C.L.A. (4.39), and Andre Hall of South Florida (4.42) ran the best times. Wali Lundy of Virginia also impressed with both his speed (4.45) and ability in the drills. On the flip side Wisconsin's Brian Calhoun clocked a disappointing 4.60 and might slip just a bit.

The Big 4 RB's
    ? The top four running backs in the draft will not run the forty at the Combine with Reggie Bush, DeAngelo Williams, LenDale White and Laurence Maroney all choosing to sit it out. Didn't these guys learn anything from what Ronnie Brown and Cadillac Williams did a year ago?

2. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Oh, the Cutler haters won't like this!

3. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Cutler is the man...what QB lifts 225 pounds 23 times? I will tell ya...a freaking beast.

4. theUandtheJETS

theUandtheJETS New Member

why would the cutler haters not like this, did you watch the combine with him, great he can bench press a chad pennington a few times, that is why we should draft him? it didnt talk about how omar jacobs looked a lot better then him on the passing drills, along with others. Taking cutler at 4 is a mistake, trade down or take ferguson.

5. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

im all for sitting at 4 and taking cutler... using abe to add more picks for oline pick up.

6. IneedJesus

IneedJesus New Member

Some team who takes Davis is going to be very happy. I think he is going to be a great player.

If this dude has us taking Cutler number four in his mock draft, I wonder who he has the Titans taking?

Kind of dissapointing that Moreny and White didnt run. I wanted to see what Maroney's forty time would be and how he would perform in drills.

I live in MN and saw him play every Saturday. I'm rooting for him to have success in the NFL.

7. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

I think moroney is going to be a star personally. he has "IT" imo. full package gamebreaker and a tackle breaker. has proven he can be a workhorse (30+ carries multiple times this year.) and doesnt have much milage (marion barber II). and is very crafty when running through the middle picks his lanes well.

#7 hydro51, Feb 27, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2006
  8. IneedJesus

IneedJesus New Member

I totally agree hydro51 but the only reason I'd be worried about him is because of the system he played in. Even Maroney's back up Gary Russell put up crazy number too when he was in. Off the top of my head I think he had almost double the amount of td's as Maroney.

Plus that offense was such a run heavy offense and the Gophers had such a great o-line it will be interesting to see but I think he is going to be fine.