Scott McCloughan could have really helped out scouting staff

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by jets12, Feb 4, 2018.

1. jets12

jets12 Active Member

The extreme makeover of the Cleveland Browns' scouting department continued Saturday when former Redskins general manager Scot McCloughan joined the organization as a personnel consultant to assist the team in this year's draft, according to league sources.

McCloughan, universally recognized as one of the league's top talent evaluators, agreed to reunite with new Browns general manager John Dorsey for the draft and participated in meetings Saturday with the team's full scouting department, sources said.

2. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Definitely Jets related, thanks for the Browns update.

FJF and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  3. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

He has been fired three times in the last 8 years because of problems with alcoholism, but I suppose he could help them in a short-term advisory role.

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

So a guy with a drinking problem is going to work for a team second to none in driving people to drink?
    This should work out well

HomeoftheJets and xxedge72x like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

How sad. Obviously has a great eye for talent and a lot of knowledge, but can't stop drinking.

6. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Our sober execs suck just imagine a drunk one.

7. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

Talent is talent.

During the Civil War, some people complained to Lincoln that General Grant, the Union's most successful general, was a drunk. "I wish some of you would tell me the brand of whiskey that Grant drinks. I would like to send a barrel of it to my other generals," Lincoln responded. .

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

It may be talent, but if he has been fired 3 times in 8 years due to his drinking, he has a serious problem, and soon could find himself unemployed, and his talent wasted.

9. Since1969

I wasn't trying to minimize any problem he has, but you don't just push such a talented guy to the side and forget about him simply because he has a problem. How many chances do really talented players with a problem get?

10. NCJetsfan

I disagree. I think your statement is too simplistic. Someone with a drinking problem can screw up in a myriad of ways. Neither you nor I know how many 2nd chances he had with the 3 teams that have fired him, or what he did. In spite of his talent, he's been fired 3 times in 8 years, so his talent must not be worth putting up with, since he really doesn't have another job. He now is working only as a consultant for the upcoming draft. After that, he's out of work again. If he has such great talent, he needs to get his ass in rehab and AA and stay there until he knows he can stay sober with help.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  11. Since1969

We also don't know how his problem manifested itself, and Washington is such a chaotic franchise that we really can't draw any inferences from what happened there. I'd be inclined to give him a chance, maybe first as a consultant to see how it works out, then as an employee under a contract requiring AA compliance etc.

12. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

It's a tough question. He had a lot of success at San Francisco, but couldn't handle it. Seattle is a pretty stable organization, and he also had a lot of success, but he couldn't handle it there, either. Washington may be a zoo, but still, you're on your third strike and you can't make it more than two years. In his three successive jobs he's lasted 5 years, 4 years, and 2 years, respectively. That's not a good trend.

13. NCJetsfan

If he had admitted he had a problem, sought help and was working on it, I'd be inclined to give him a chance. I'd love to have someone with his eye for talent helping the Jets. The problem is that with alcoholics, until they admit they have a problem and seek help, they just continue to spiral downwards. Even when they have done those things, some people can't stop their self-destructive tendencies. You can't "fix" someone. The desire for change has to come from within.

14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The Browns have made a few really good moves already this offseason. This is one of them.

15. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

There would’ve been little risk bringing him in as a consultant. Problem with having a GM and HC on a very hot seat is they probably don’t have much interest bringing in a potential replacement.

Since1969 likes this.