Schottenheimer: Jets had to start over with Favre

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by tpjets62, Feb 4, 2009.

1. tpjets62

tpjets62 Member

I think most of us knew this but this is right from Schotty......

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/comments/schottenheimer-jets-had-to-start-over-with-favre-199648.html

"Brian Schottenheimer said yesterday that he would "welcome the opportunity" to coach Brett Favre again but didn't elaborate much more on the issue.

The Jets' offensive coordinator also said he, like just about everyone else, had no idea when the notoriously indecisive quarterback would make up his mind about whether to return.

But Schottenheimer did say something interesting about the acquisition of Favre last August, and the season-long struggles of getting him acclimated to a new offense. The coach acknowledged what most thought: that it was a shock to the system, so to speak, after spending an entire offseason preparing to start Chad Pennington or Kellen Clemens.

"Was it a lot of work? Absolutely," Schottenheimer said in a conference call with Jets beat reporters. "Quite honestly, when Brett got here, it was very simple - we started over. We went back to the early installation and said, 'What are you comfortable with? What do you like?' There was a lot of sharing of ideas. Brett, at no point, did he say, 'I only want to run this, I only want to call that.' It really was give and take."

Schottenheimer pointed out that none of those kinds of questions were being asked when the team was 8-3. As for what went wrong, he said turnovers were a big issue (Favre threw nine interceptions in the final five games) but was quick to say, "It would be unfair to put it all on Brett."

He did float the theory - then pulled away from it - that perhaps options were limited with Favre not having the full playbook at his disposal.

"At 8-3, we did find our groove. Unfortunately, our groove dried up a little bit," Schottenheimer said. "Maybe that's because we didn't have as big a package as we would've liked and teams caught on. I really don't think that's what it was. It came down to more us not executing, and not always calling the right play in the right situation."

Schottenheimer was a finalist to replace the fired Eric Mangini and, after owner Woody Johnson settled on Rex Ryan, there was speculation that Schottenheimer might go elsewhere. Schottenheimer, who has a year left on his contract, said after meeting with Ryan - like him, the son of a coach - he was comfortable staying on."

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

This is one of 3 identical articles. Way to go, Jets beat writers.

3. jetzIII

jetzIII New Member

It's called adjusting at halftime. Everyone adjusted to us, but the Jets
    didn't know how to make the adjustments against other teams.

4. tpjets62

tpjets62 Member

According to one of the articles, Rex will have some input on offense too, so if Schotty can't figure it out, I am sure Rex will make some adjustments for him that he never thought of.

5. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

one would be "stop playing like a bitch"

Hopefully the "down by 3, abandon the run" philosophy is gone.

6. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Like punching him in the face? That's how his dad got it done.

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

It would be worth a bad offensive gameplan just to see Schotty get bashed in the chops.

8. section134

section134 Active Member

jets lost to the seahawks ---the team with the worst record----dont give me this bs

jets lost to sf when we were 8-4 and they were 4-8

jets should have murdered those bums

chad started with a new team the same time farve started with us

dolphins beat sd denver oakland sf seattle ----no excuses the whole jet team messed up

9. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

^ Chad had Dan Henning, who was his 1st OC in 2000 when he was in NY.

Chad had a huge leg up on Favre in terms of learning the offense. I'm not defending Favre, I'm just sayin.

10. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

Hey man, give them a break Shotty was not allowed to talk to the media for 3 years. Now he talks, no wonder they are so willing to put together an article.

11. takrew

takrew New Member

So I see Schotty welcoming him back... i heard Rex say it too..... Woody and Tanny already said it too.

So where's Brett's comment? Oh, that's right... the king is still deciding....

12. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I wish the Jets had a bigger package.

13. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

...is this the same reason why we can't seem to get any cute flight attendants? :lol:

14. akibud

akibud Active Member

homo!!:jets:

15. tpjets62

tpjets62 Member

No question, it wasn't just the offense that tanked. You hear all these different stories why each aspect of our team failed down the stretch. Im sure there was some issues brewing in that locker room that have yet to come out. If the Bills didn't hand us that game in the last 2 mins, we would have been 8-8 and I think we would have heard a lot more out of the locker room than just a few grumblings....

16. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I think this is way overblown. It's not like Chad was going back to a system he started in for three years and had a high comfort level with. It's a system he was exposed to as a rookie, with all the confusion that entails, and hardly played in. After that he was immersed in systems from Hacket, Heimerdinger and Schottenheimer.

Going back to Hennings' system must have been like bumping into someone you met a few times, eight years ago.

A very slight advantage over Favre, maybe. No way was it a "huge leg up".

17. Italian Seafood

That's why this is really a non-story. The owner, GM and head coach already said, pubically at least, they want Favre back, what's the OC going to say that's different?

18. Italian Seafood

Never, to be exact. He was the #3 QB behind Vinny and Lucas.

19. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

Who cares what these people say? You can't believe a word of it anyway.

20. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

edit: wrong thread ...

#20 WhiteShoeWillis, Feb 5, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2009