Say what you want, but jets should go offense with the 1st pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by GasedAndConfused, Mar 10, 2017.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Looking at out 1st round picks, the last 8 were all on defense
    lee, williams, pryor, richardson, milliner, coples wilkerson and wilson.
    The last time we went offense was 2009 with sanchez.

With the free agency moves chances are the BPA at 6 will be an offensive player. either tribisky which would fill a huge need or fournette who is the 2nd best prospect in the draft. It's practically a given we will. I can't understand why people would want us to go defense. but go ahead and try to sway me ;)

2. There will always be Jet fans wanting to go defense in the draft no matter how much of a scoring league the NFL has become or how many defensive picks we flop on...it often seems like...similar to the team itself...fans are afraid of the potential spotlight & eventual failure that going offense risks. The only offensive picks Jets fans bang the table for is OL...which has also yielded mixed results

3. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

As long as the guy is a good fit for the team and is a good value for the pick what the hell difference does it which side of the ball he plays on?

If the next Lawrence Taylor, Ronnie Lott, or Reggie White is available, and the Jets pass on them to pick up the next Jeff George or Blair Thomas, just because they play on offense, then they deserve what they get.

4. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

this draft is loaded with all-pro caliber talent on the defensive side of the ball towards the top

i'm not missing on one of those guys just to force an offensive pick

5. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

if we have a choice between Fournette, Trubisky and Hooker, I'm probably going with Malik Hooker.

6. GasedAndConfused

If you read the thread and not just the title you would have seen it's most likely the BPA will be on offense. 4 of the top 5 prospects are defense but they are gonna be gone when we pick.

7. GasedAndConfused

any reason why? out of those 3
    1) Trib fills the biggest need
    2) fournette would be BPA

hooker is a good prospect at 6 for sure, but he isn't the biggest need or the BPA in this situation.

8. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

It's QB or Howard or bust for me

westiedog1 and FJF like this.
  9. John

John Active Member

I really want fournette this year
    I feel like this pick will take off a ton of pressure whoever plays QB
    our offensive line really isn't as bad as most on this board say I think fournette could really do great things here.

This is also a very deep draft for CB And S and rather use that pick in the 2nd and or 3rd round.

At first I was really against picking a RB in the first round since many know they have short careers you could find good ones in late rounds BUT most of these RB found in late rounds compliment a offense and not the main focus. If you want a sure fire RB that you can run the offense through pick fournette

These RB found in late rounds that excel all have FQB that could stretch the field and make these RB look a lot better

But we clearly don't have a FQB in 2017 so why not run the offense through the ground game and take pressure off whoever the QB is

westiedog1 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. Attackett

Because building an offense around a RB is so 1980s. In today's NFL you build your offense around the passing game.

If Mac doesn't believe that Hack can be the guy then it would be criminal of him to pass on a QB at 6. Judging by the fact that the Jets have been linked to every shitty QB available I'd say the chances are pretty good he doesn't believe in him.

If he does believe in Hack then stop chasing these shitty options and commit to him. Then go get him the best weapon available, which is obviously Howard.

westiedog1, ColoradoContrails and FJF like this.
  11. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

yeah and i do not agree that they'll all be gone

12. John

John Active Member

Who says we have to be like everyone and build around a passing game. The cowboys clearly were a run first team and did great. YES I know we are not the cowboys nor have that line but it shows that you can build an offense around running. We will never be able to win in a shootout with Brady Rodgers Ryan etc . So why not take a different approach control time of Possession and run the ball. FYI that's how we made it to back to back AFC championships

BomberJet likes this.
  13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

90% chance you will be disappointed :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

14. 101GangGreen101

why do the Jets have a good safety on the roster? Is the amount of opponents completing 20+ yard passes down the field not an issue for you? Trib is a 1 year starter that really choked down the stretch. I hope the Bears take him so the Jets don't

15. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

BPA regardless of side of the ball. I want a player who will be a franchise player, not some mediocre kids who fills a gap.

16. Attackett

I'm a Jets fan, I'm always disappointed.

onefanjet and kevda5n9ne like this.
  17. GasedAndConfused

the only better prospect the Fourntee is Garrett and no way does he fall to 6. and even if he did we have wilk, williams, and richardson already logjammed at the position and we are trying to trade richardson.
    So BPA is always gonna be fournette unless someone takes him before us and biggest need is trib. all the other top prospects are DEs

18. GasedAndConfused

not really but pryor and ghilcrest are decent enough. we are targeting safties in FA and even if we had the worst safeties in the NFL, it's better then having the worst QB in the NFL. QB will always be more important then a safety. If you had to start a team from scratch you'd take the top QB not the top S in the NFL.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. 101GangGreen101

yeah gotta say this statement as a whole is incorrect. Gilchrist is not decent enough, we were targeting strong safeties not free safeties in free agency. Pete Caroll Seattle Defense, the first pick was a free safety. Hooker or OJ Howard are the 2 best examples of BPA that meets need.

GWjet and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  20. GasedAndConfused

1981 was the last time Seattle took a safety with their 1st pick. I assume you are referring to the 2010 draft when they took thomas with their 1nd pick (they had 2 1st rounders and took an OT with their 1st one) and even with that awesome defense they built (thanks to late round picks like chanceler maxwell, and sherman) they still weren't good until they drafted wilson. and they weren't as desperate at QB as we are right now. IIRC they had hasselbeck who was a decent veteran. Even if hooker or howard are the next ed reed, it won't make a difference when our QB throws 30 INTs a season, because no safety is going get 30 INTs back on the defense.

If you argument is that safety is more important then QB, then you don't have a leg to stand on to call anyone else wrong. I said make an argument to sway me, not say you want us to draft a safety with no reasoning when it won't be the best value or fill the biggest need

Catfish Billy likes this.