Saquon Barkley at #6 + FA QB in 2018?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Jan 2, 2018.

1. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I was neither agreeing or disagreeing with that premise, my only comment was in reply to you classing Powell as young in your example, tbh I thought it was pretty simple to understand but it seems to have foxed you and WW for some reason ????

If we draft him he will probably go in to a backfield committee of three because "Bowles" where most other teams would have him as starter or at least as understudy with the prime objective of him becoming number 1 over the course of the season, you only have to take a look at Kamara who was even behind AP at the start of the season, now that was nearly some massive fuck up by the Saints but he got in took his chance and made a name for himself, the odd thing here is the number 1 RB still performed alongside him, having the dual bonus of subbing in like for like and both remaining fresh and fit for longer and I also don't disagree that Powell still has 2/3 years left on the clock btw but he is still old for his position and has often suffered injuries when younger and that is unlikely to improve when he hits 30+

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

In comparison to Forte, yes I called him young, but that wasn't my true intent of this debate. It was more-so about Bowles not playing younger players. If Barkley is drafted at 6, he's going to get the bulk of his carries, he's the most talented out of the bunch therefore he will play the most. I would say at least 200 carries. Powell being nicked up could play a role in his regression as he ages, but per carries he's still pretty refresh in comparison to his peers. Bell from the Steelers is going to turn 26, and I think he's going to regress very quickly.

3. Carpetbagger

Carpetbagger Well-Known Member

I think we should start being honest and come to a realization that Bridgewater, Cousins, Smith are all better options than Allen and Mayfield.

People are obsessed with Allen's arm talent, but he has serious accuracy issues. Accuracy is the most important factor for qb success. Mayfield reminds me way too much of Manziel.

LAJet likes this.
  4. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

It all depends on what you think of Cousins, tho. My mind is far from made up, but I'm not convinced that giving Cousins well over 20M per season is necessarily the right way for the Jets to address the QB position. A very good argument can be made that the "right way" to go about this is for the Jets to draft the best possible QB prospect that they can in the 1st round and then use their 100M in cap space to fill the litany of roster holes that exist outside of the QB position.

5. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

I think you're the one doing the trolling. But you need to do some pushups

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Cousins is definitely better. I wouldn’t say teddy or a smith are though. You sign bridewater or smith with an eye on drafting your future qb. You sign cousins with an eye on any other position of need

dogg and ColoradoContrails like this.
  7. Walt White

That's a reason to like Cousins.
    But I'm not with the Maziel school of thought. Manziel is a drug addict alcoholic entitled brat. Mayfield has fought every step of the way and looks like a fighter to me and I like that. I think he could possibly have a problem as a pocket passer tho. However I think he's sees the field very well, can read a D, and that may be more important than size and arm strength
    Just sayin :)

#107 Walt White, Jan 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  8. Carpetbagger

What also you need to think about is guessing what the Broncos will do. Will they go after Allen (assuming Rosen and Darnold go 1 & 2)? Will they go after Cousins themselves? If Rosen, Darnold and Allen are all selected before #6, which is a significant possibility, then the Jets should go after a FA qb and focus more on the 2nd and 3rd round qbs that will be available.

9. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I think the Broncos will either go Cousins or draft Allen........which is also what I believe the Jets are leaning towards.

The challenge is that FA occurs before the draft, so it's not like we have the luxury of seeing how the draft pans out first.
    Have to make the FA decisions in mid March.

FJF, wampa and BomberJet like this.
  10. Carpetbagger

Fine, let's take the character issues of it. How many more opportunities will we give to Big 12 qbs before realizing that the system that these teams play greatly inflate the stats of these guys and their production never translates to the NFL. Gosh, just look how inaccurate Petty has been or how Geno couldn't read NFL blitzes. If Mayfield falls out of the first round, then I'd be happy to draft him, but drafting him at #6 with a lot of other talented players still on the board and decent FA options available? No, thanks. Too risky. Same argument for Allen.

If for some unknown reason, the Giants or Browns do not want Rosen or Darnold and we can trade up, this is a different conversation.

11. Walt White

If they go Cousins you won't see me complain. If they draft a QB too and draft an edge pass rusher also I'll be happy

#111 Walt White, Jan 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  12. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

If we signed Cousins I wouldn't do it any other way besides frontloading it, but I'm not the GM lol

13. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

I understand your thinking with respect to the bolded, but unfortunately, it won't (and can't) work that way. Free agency begins on March 14th and the first round of the NFL draft is on April 27th. Hence, the Jets will have to decide on whether or not they want to seriously pursue Cousins well before they get to see how the top 5 picks turn out.

14. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Care to explain the ridiculous comparison between Mayfield & Manziel? Keep seeing this mentioned but no one explains how. Cause other than them both being shorter than the average QB I don’t see a comparison in any way.

15. Carpetbagger

Not ridiculous at all. Both have arrogance and character issues. Look up
    Mayfied getting arrested or taunting opposing team fans. Both are short. Both come from BIG 12 schools with similar offenses (I know A&M are now in the SEC). Both were hard to evaluate because both threw to receivers who are wide open while
    facing no real pass rush. Both of them are the product of marketing schemes from their schools as some gritty, carry the team leaders who are beloved by teammates so it justifies them being a jerk to everyone else. Again, I wouldn’t mind Mayfield in the 2nd round, but as the #6 pick?

BomberJet likes this.
  16. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I personally don't compare Mayfield to Manziel but I don't see why Manziel is such a repulsive comp to Mayfield fans. Size aside, talking strictly on the field Manziel had a similar style, ran a similar offense, put up similar numbers. Manziel the prospect was also good enough to garner a 1rst round grade. Mayfield's downfall had to do with what he did off the field. When he actually played in the NFL, he did look like he belonged. So what exactly is the issue?

17. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Alex Smith can also be an option for the Broncos. I'm sure he would relish the chance to be able to face his former team twice a year. Eli too.

18. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Forget it, I am not getting into a row or a huge discussion about it, you have misunderstood, I have tried to explain and you seem to want to misunderstand again.

You didn't mention Forte until two posts later so he has nothing to do with my posts.

You hinted that Bowles would play youth by using the example "Powell would get more games if he wasn't injured so much"

I said Powell wasn't young, a short simple statement that is true, 29yo is no longer considered young, if you had used McGuire then it would have been fine and made sense as he is actually young and did get some game time, maybe could have used some more truth be told but hey ho.

So if we did draft Barkley then you would hope he got the bigger percentage split in game time but Bowles often has is own ideas, like the league is all about pass catching backs atm, loads of them racking up the yards all over the place, we have not one but two very good pass catching backs, how many catches did they get this season ?

19. Laxg41

Laxg41 Well-Known Member

The Maccagnan Wet Dream

Sign: Mccown
    Sign: Eli Apple
    Re-sign Buster Skrine
    Draft: Bradley Chubb in the first
    Draft: CBs in the Second

dogg and 6-10 once again like this.
  20. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

i get that big 12 defenses suck, but he also balled out against two of the best defenses in the nation

ColoradoContrails likes this.