Saquon Barkley at #6 + FA QB in 2018?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Jan 2, 2018.

1. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

That’s not true. There have been a bunch of guys with several great seasons after 400 touches, including Curtis Martin

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/touches_single_season.htm

I think the troublesome barometer that you’re referring to is 400 carries

2. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

You need a top QB to be a SB contender in this league. That's the bottom line. Is Cousins good enough to be a top 10 QB? Frankly, I don't know much about him.

3. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

That's if Barkley even gets to 6. If I'm Cleveland he does not get past 4. QB of choice at #1 and him at 4 is a very quick way to rebuild that offense. Hell if you don't have vastly differing grades on Rosen, Darnold, or Allen they could just take him at 1 and pick whats left.

4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Great idea that every fan would like, but more likely draft a D-lineman or Cornerback at #6 and re-sign McCown to a 3-year deal.

5. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

RB is making a huge resurgence in the NFL and if Barkley is there at 6 and we have cousins signed in FA that would instantly boost the offense a ton.

But, I'd like to say that I think Jets really do need to focus on the o-line because regardless of how good the QB or RB is, ultimately its the o-line that creates for everyone else. I can also make the argument that if we do sign Cousins, we can use the #6 pick on one of the o-linemen coming out and address RB in the 2nd round (Sony Michel) would be the RB I would go after. He's no Barkley but with McGuire and Powell in the mix, that's one hell of a RB group.

O-lineman isn't a sexy position but when we were making runs with Rex it was under the premise of having a dominant o-line that could carry a QB (good or bad).

Whether it's Cousins or Mayfield, or whoever, the o-line has to become the strength of this time.

dmw likes this.
  6. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

When was Powell last considered a younger player, guy is 29yo :rolleyes:

7. K'OB

If they draft a QB then we will be seeing McCown again, they don't let him put headphones on on the sideline and QB coach if they don't like the guy, he will be the mentor that he was meant to be this season.

zace likes this.
  8. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

What's McGuire? An anomaly? :rolleyes:

9. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Im fine with him on thr sidelines lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

dogg and K'OB like this.
  10. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

How is signing a top 10-12 FQB for 5 to 6 years and drafting a talented RB in a league where talented RBs are dominating not doing things the right way?

11. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Cousins will most likely sign with us or Denver, but I don't see Denver being able to sign him unless the deal is back loaded like crazy. Cousins is going to demand at least 20M a year, that leaves Denver with 14M to sign their rookies and whatever depth guys they need. It'll be tough for Denver to sign him tbh

grkmanga31 likes this.
  12. K'OB

Hang on a second, I will just re-look at the post I quoted ...

Quote 101GangGreen "Again, where does this idea come from that Bowles doesn't play younger players? Powell don't get more touches, cause Powell gets injured."

Ah, as I thought McGuire was not mentioned in it, which is the reason why I said Powell wasn't young as that is who was mentioned in the example

If you are going to quote me to take the piss, at least get it right.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

13. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Finally! A pitch to draft some OL (and not in the 5th round).

dogg likes this.
  14. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Since when is Powell an old player?
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Compared to Forte, he's a new born baby. Also very low mileage. McGuire got some decent # of carries as well.

16. K'OB

He is a 29 yo RB, is that not old enough for you but again to keep it simple for you the quote was young player and then Powell was mentioned and at 29yo professional athletes are not fucking young.

Now jog on and troll somebody else for a bit.

17. K'OB

But not young, which was the other guys question about Mac giving youth a game and hopefully Forte will have retirement forced upon him or just plain cut from the Jets and leave more plays for McGuire to get some extra experience moving forward.

18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

So are you agreeing that if the Jets draft Barkley at 6, that they won't play him because he's young? Are you agreeing with this mindset? In terms of football mileage, he's young. Low amount of carries, Powell can probably play at a decent level until 31 / 32. Average career is about 3 years.

19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

For all intents and purposes, Bowles will be even more in a "win now" situation next year, and as such, unless we get a superstar QB, expect the Jets to resign McCown and he will be the starter until he's injured or retreats to his historical less than average self for a long stretch of losses. The Jets are not a destination for a QB that needs even a little development - Jackson, Allen, Darnold, pretty much any of them aside from maybe Rosen. On that basis, they maade be best served by signing a young vet with lots of upside, if not Cousins, then Bridgewater, or Keenum. I don't really like this approach, but reality trumps wishes. Continuing on that line, if they could somehow trade up to get Barkley (not likely), coupled with a young vet (allowing them to keep McCown as a true backup/mentor), they could then focus on OL and pass rusher. If they can't get Barkley, then Bryce Love would be a good choice with one of the 2nd round picks.

Of course all of this speculation is moot because we know Macc will take a DL and two CBs with his first three picks.

BTW: Anyone who sticks with the "formula" that you don't take a RB with a high pick needs to answer the question of why Barkley will likely be gone by the 4th pick.

dogg likes this.
  20. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Yep, in terms of cap space, denver does not have the cap space we do.

Obviously they can structure it differently and make necessary cuts to sign up but it would really hurt their flexibility. Right now, they have Bradley Roby and Aqub Talib as two of their highest cap hits that they can clean off the books. If they cut both (which would make their secondary severely worse, they would have an additional 18-19 mil in cap. They can cut CJ Anderson as well which would free up an additional 4.5 mil. In reality though, cutting all those players would severely dampen their talent level. And even with those moves they're still not anywhere close to competing with the jets with cap.

Right now, the highest paid QB is Stafford with an annual salary of 27 mil. I can see Cousins asking for somewhere in between 24-27 mil as well.

Whether he's worth that is another discussion. I personally would sign him to a front loaded contract so as to mitigate the risk attached to signing a FA QB. We have the cap room to do so.

We can then focus the rest of the room on getting some premium talent, and the draft for o-linemen, edge, etc.

NYJFOREVER and ColoradoContrails like this.