Saquon Barkley at #6 + FA QB in 2018?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Jan 2, 2018.

1. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Cousins would be a good FA pickup, providing that they get a decent RB and OL with their top 3 picks. Some have already said that. However I am with one poster, I doubt Cousins will go to a rebuilding team even if it’s more $. We should not over pay Cousins either. What about one of the Georgia running backs, are they available to declare for the draft?

2. Beki

Beki Active Member

Thank you, NO RB with 6th pick.

3. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Most contending teams don’t need a QB, that’s why they’re contending teams. Only possible contending team that might be looking to upgrade at QB is Jacksonville. I don’t know what there cap situation is like to know if they can afford to be in on Cousins.

4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I love how we shouldn't be taking an RB at 6... but he also won't be there at 6. Make up your mind people.

ColoradoContrails and FJF like this.
  5. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

The Jets offseason will play out in a number of different ways.

Scenario 1: This situation. Sign Cousins and draft Barkely. I think we'd love it. Be the best situation. Unfortanately I don't see it happening. I think Cousins goes to Denver where he sees Thomas and Sanders and a Super Bowl defense. As for Barkely I don't think he slips to 6. If he does and we have a qb it would be a dream come true. But we are the Jets so reality sets in and it doesn't happen.

Scenario 2: We sign Bridgewater take the best available offensive player at 6 being an olineman, wr, rb or qb. If we don't pick a qb at 6, then trade back into the first round and select the qb that slides from the top 4 or take Mason Rudolph or Lamar Jackson. Depending on who we sing in free agency and how some things go I think this is plausible.

Scenario 3: The Jets are the Jets. They resign McNown, bring in someone like Matt Moore to back him up. Draft Chubb at 6 who gets a sack and a half for the year and since he shows promise we think he will do well going forward and in the 2nd we'll select Quinton Flowers from South Florida (four or five rounds too soon) and not play him all year. To me this is what the Jets will do. Defense wins championships not qbs.

6. BroadwayAaron

Can someone explain to me why Teddy Bridgewater is even being considered as an option? He hasn't played meaningful football in two years and he wasn't good the last time he did. I would rather have McCown back for another hold over year.

Edit: people STILL don't know what Josh McCown's actual name is…

FJF likes this.
  7. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Young and talented. I think people are trying to find someone who can be a franchise qb and be there for awhile. Bridgewater offers that. The question is can he play? Did he make a full recovery? For the right price he might be worth taking a flyer on. Could probably sign him for less than Glennon did last year and he is better. I think that's why people are drawn to him.

8. BroadwayAaron

The only way I would even consider Bridgewater is if you're guaranteed to draft one of the top quarterbacks in the draft. You can't rely on him to be anything more than a fill-in until you get a real starter in place. I think reality would dictate that a guy who wasn't great before a massive injury probably won't be great after the massive injury. Also if you sign him for anywhere near the kind of money Glennon got you've made a horrible mistake.

Greensleeves likes this.
  9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

10. 101GangGreen101

Steelers have run him to the ground too, the amount of touches he's had ... it doesn't look good for him in his later years.

11. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I disagree. Bridgewater isn’t going to be that expensive coming back from injury, and he’s worth the risk handing the reigns off to in the event you don’t get one of the top QB’s or if you are able to get a top pick. It’s all upside in that situation. With Bridgewater you can then take a chance on a second or third round QB and see if they can develop in the event Bridgewater falters.

He’s worth taking a chance on in FA as he had potential long term value.

12. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

He’s 25 and only averaged 20 carries and 5 receptions a game for his career. He still has a lot of tread on his tires.

Plus, macs typical contract has just two years of guarantees

dogg and Attackett like this.
  13. BroadwayAaron

I just don't see how anyone can have that much faith in a guy that hasn't been good and is going to be 2 years removed from football because of a major injury.

14. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

We’re not going into next season with a rookie QB, Petty and Hack; a vet is being signed regardless. And Bridgewater is a much better option than bringing back McCown and cheaper option than Cousins or Smith if you are going to also take a flyer on a rookie.

At worst he doesn’t do the job and you go to the rookie. At best he is good and improves the team immediately.

15. 101GangGreen101

He's had 400 touches ... not many have good NFL seasons after that ... history is really against Bell. Check Chris Johnson (2009) and DeMarco Murray (2014).

FJF likes this.
  16. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

If they go 1st rd. QB, maybe 2nd rd., Bridgewater is prolly a solid signing, after that it's debatable I guess. I think they're gonna keep him and let Bradford go tho.

17. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

I would be OK with this, but only if we do add the veteran FA QB and that QB would have to be Kirk Cousins. The veteran can't be Case Keenum. As far as RB goes, I get that many do not like taking RB's early these days, especially when guys like Kareem Hunt and Alvin Kamara dominated the NFL in 2017, however there are still your Zeke Elliott's, Todd Gurley's and so on and so forth, so you can make an argument either way, in my opinion.

18. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

Scenario 1 also works if they sign Cousins and then draft a top OL. They can always draft an RB with pick 37. Perhaps Bryce Love?

Denver looks to have $23M in cap space for 2018, but could get up to $34M if they release Talib. I don't know if that will be enough to sign Cousins. However, it would be better for the Jets if one of the teams picking in front of them signed Cousins as opposed to behind. We also need Sam Darnold to declare for the draft, as it would add to the QB options.

Scenario 2, if the Jets sign anyone other than Cousins, I'd want pick 6 to be a QB. Bridgewater, Tyrod Taylor, etc... would just be a bridge while the draft pick learns the offense.

Either way, the Jets will have close to $100M after they release Wilkerson and have three picks of the first 49 picks. We will be 10x more optimistic heading into 2018 than we were into 2017.

19. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

I think the Steelers will franchise Bell again and then just let him walk after that. They pay him $15M for 2018 and then move on.

20. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

So in consecutive years we would draft 2 of the lowest value positions outside of kicker/punter 6th overall.