Saquon Barkley at #6 + FA QB in 2018?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Jan 2, 2018.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

What makes you think that? Kirk Cousins has lost his Pro Bowl TE, two best running backs, 2 1,000 yard WRs to free agency, dealt with an inept Terrelle Pryor and played behind 12 offensive lineman this season. Despite that, only Brady and Brees have more completions of 20+ yards. Cousins will visit the Jets. Mac has always done his due diligence.

FJF likes this.
  2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

A huge no thank you to Teddy. He hasn't played meaningful football in over a year (will be 2 by the time he suited up for us) and wasn't all that good before he got injured.

I think there's a difference in spending big on guys like Revis, Cro and Skrine when you're trying to win quick and spending on a QB like Cousins who can be a top 10-12 QB for a few more years.

FJF likes this.
  3. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

I must admit I'm SHOCKED so many people agree with this concept on here. I thought I'd be on an island while everyone else banged the desk demanding a top 3 QB prospect.
    This is quite refreshing.

Also a very important thing to keep in mind is if we were to go with Cousins there wouldn't be a developmental lull of perhaps the first 2 years like with most rookies. Too often we make assumptions based on outliers like Wentz, Carr, Wilson. While it's usually more like Goff but longer. With the right moves this off season we could be setup like the Seahawks were 5 years ago. Young team with low cap numbers.

FJF likes this.
  4. Greensleeves

Greensleeves Well-Known Member

I'm for signing Teddy Bridgewater if and only if, we still draft the QB high. We cannot pass up the chance to draft a FQB. I would trade up, whatever it takes (thank McCown for those meaningless wins which will cost us a #2 this year and next year's #1 at least - was it worth it Jet's fans?) and let them battle it out in camp. If Teddy lights it up keep him in while the rookie learns. Or make him your backup for several years - kind of like Ken O'Brien, Pat Ryan duo.

To take this a step further - by starting a journeyman QB all year with young players, we kept ourselves from getting better more quickly. If we could stay put and draft the QB we want at #2 or #3, we would keep both our 2s and next year's 1, plus all of our cap space, which could be used on positions such as OL, CB and pass rusher. After that, address more OL, RB and another pass rusher in the draft with the rest of our picks. This was the first time a coach, since 94-96, when hired, hasn't made the playoffs in his first 3 years.

5. BroadwayAaron

Considering we can sign Cousins and use the #6 pick on something other than a QB when QB's are gonna be flying off the board, I think it worked out fine so far.

FJF likes this.
  6. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

The more I think about it, the more I can see Cleveland taking the stud RB with Barkley and one of the top QBs before Denver hits the podium. However, If either Rosen and/or Darnold choose to remain in school then the strategy will change significantly for the first 6 for sure.

7. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Pecker Johnson announced that they're ready to spend big and we're headed for glory. WTF on is anybody's guess.

But Mo and FJF's scenario's are not that far fetched at all. They have a really good shot at being a lot better next year.

#27 Walt White, Jan 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  8. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Barkley would have to sit and let vets like Powell and McGuire get touches on Todd's team.

Boomboom likes this.
  9. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I do not care about the talent.
    Taking a rb with 6th overall is not a smart move in MOST circumstances.
    It is a luxury we cannot afford unlike Dallas who had an Oline, stud WR. TE and QB in place when they drafted Elliot.

Shelf life of backs is not long enough and high quality ones are not that hard to get down further to use on one that high unless you already have the rest of the O in place.

10. BroadwayAaron

The Rams would like a word. And the Vikings (til he went down). And the Jags. And the Chiefs. And... well you get it.

FJF likes this.
  11. 101GangGreen101

Again, where does this idea come from that Bowles doesn't play younger players? Powell don't get more touches, cause Powell gets injured.

Attackett likes this.
  12. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

It's a myth.

It's about good players, elite players. What ever position you can find 'em at too. Ain't no daggum thing wrong with a great RB

101GangGreen101 and FJF like this.
  13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I don’t consider a game breaker a luxury. Rather it’s a necessity we can not afford to pass up on. A guy like Barkley makes the line,WRs and qb better just by being on the field. When’s the last time we had a guy the defense had to prepare for all week?

dogg, ColoradoContrails and zace like this.
  14. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Id draft him and falk in round 1 and 2. I dont get all this cousins love. Hes not that good and not worth the money.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

15. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Gurley was 10 not 6
    Jags had the Oline in place to draft Fournette.

Don’t know who on the Chiefs or Vikings you are referring as their backs were taken a lot further down which is my point.
    We draft Barkley he won’t do shit with our line and his best days will be behind him before we are competitive.

If he is there at 6 and there is no qb or OT you want trade the pick to someone wiil be willing to give you value for the pick

16. 101GangGreen101

Falk is going like 3rd round at best. Even so, Falk would not be the answer, you will need to get another prospect to provide competition. Statue in the pocket (-), great footwork (+), accurate short(+), but no arm (-) and is captain checkdown reborn (double minus).

almbleamal likes this.
  17. Still would rather take a shot on one of the QB's.I understand we're going to have to sign a QB in FA one way or the other..but none of the names dissuade me from drafting one at #6. Not even Barkley sitting there.

Attackett likes this.
  18. zace

zace Well-Known Member

You draft him to develop, not a day 1 starter. But i think he has what it takes. He had a decent arm no worse than mccown. That plan tho, you get a qb on FA. Which is what I think theyre going to do. Sign a guy and draft a guy

19. 101GangGreen101

A QB must be had in this draft at some point even if you get one in FA, I think everyones on board with that. You get a QB in FA, you still target a QB in the draft but in the mid to later rounds (3 or 4). You might be able to get Falk at that point. However, I might look at Kurt Benkert as well.

This is me thinking they are getting Cousins tho

zace likes this.
  20. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Im just not a cousins fan. Ive seen a lot of the guy because they play a lot of redskins games here in South jersey. Hes like a more functional version of bryce petty but just as inconsistent. For the right price id do it, but the jets wont overpay for him. Who else do you think is a legit shot for us to land?