Saquon Barkley 2017 Games Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

This guy is that good to warrant his own thread. He might be a transcendent player that you can build the entire offense around, and take over one or both of the quarterbacks.

I know that's not the point of us tanking this year, but this kid is incredible. I thought he had a lot of mileage on his legs and body but it's not even all too much if he comes out this year. Figure about 1.5 heavy workload NFL seasons and that's against much smaller college players.

The perfect blend of speed, size, power and vision. Oh and he blocks and can catch the ball out of the backfield.

5'11", 230 and he runs as elusively as if he were 205 and as powerful as if he were 260.

The more I watch the more I want to see us take him, offensive line, offensive line and just recreate Dallas' offense with a back even better than Zeke.

Can we sticky this? He deserves to be up there.

2. Jonathan_Vilma

That run was absolutely incredible. The balance and cutting ability to stay in bounds and run through two tackles, the vision to bounce it outside and then back across the field.

44 yard gain. The way he just stopped and cut on the sidelines at full speed to cut back would probably snap most players and people's knees in two. He's built like an absolute tank.

This kids the best player in the draft probably by a wide margin.

8.1 yards per carry coming into this game. He's at 9.6 yards per carry in this game tonight with a passing attack that is averaging 4.6 yards per completion against what appears to be a stout Iowa defense.

Maybe I'm exaggerating but he might be the best runningback prospect of my personal generation (past 17 years or so). Adrian Peterson obviously holds/held that distinction but Barkley might have better soon, he's shorter so he's more compact and he catches the ball out of the backfield.

It's hard to say anyone is better than him at anything at this point. Maybe AP had better breakaway speed and hit the hole slightly harder. I'd say the power is at least equal and balance is equal.

#2 Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 23, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  3. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

It was utter nonsense that he stayed in bounds on that long run. Insane change of direction.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  4. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Fucking what?

5. wampa

wampa Well-Known Member

Yeah, this Iowa game has more than one just inhuman 'what' move by Barkley. He'll need to settle for more short gains rather than stutter-stepping as much as he does at the line when he gets to pro-speed defenses, but otherwise he's a near-perfect all-around prospect at the position. All around the best comps for him I can think of are Zeke and a young Forte, but he has strait up Shady McCoy level shiftiness.

That said, as beastly as he is, I can't justify taking him over one of the QBs (assuming the underclassmen we expect to come out do in fact come out) barring a complete collapse by virtually the entire draft class at the position. Our need to find a long-term answer at QB is just too severe, and we already have at least one RB worth platooning with in Powell, which further lowers the relative positional value of an RB comparatively. And there are other good, if not transcendent RBs, available later in the draft. (Nick Chubb?)

We could use him for sure, but taking him with our top pick effectively locks us out of getting a franchise QB in the draft, so I can't justify it.

#5 wampa, Sep 23, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    Red Menace likes this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

I agree. And I'm always against taking a runningback high. But if the top 2-3 quarterbacks are gone and we somehow end up with the 4th pick, then it's really a no brainer. I wouldn't take Barkley over Darnold/Rosen although Darnold has made some stupid throws as of late. Lamar Jackson is an interesting case. I guess we'd have to take a shot at him if we think he can be that franchise guy for the long haul.

BomberJet and ColoradoContrails like this.
  7. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

If the jets end up with 4th pick and Lamar and Saquan are there then I would pass on both and select a premier LT, no one is doing anything until they fix the oline with guys who can open holes for RB and protect the QB.

There are going to be some good oline men this year and a couple are touted as top 10 picks.

8. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Smart, superfast/explosive, super strong 230 lbs and will run you over, super shifty, excellent hands as a receiver, can take it to the house on every play....not much not to like

9. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Best player in CFB. I want him over the QB's. Sue me.

10. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

I agree, he is the best player in CFB, 358 all purpose yards and against a stout defense, he gashed them, even the plays that were stopped cold he got 6-7 yards, amazing

11. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

If the Jets place themselves out of position to get a top QB, I say draft Barkley and go all in to sign Cousins.

Then draft OL with the rest of the picks.

BomberJet, 101GangGreen101 and FJF like this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Right now, the only guy I would take over Barkley is Rosen, or if Darnold or Jackson really seem like "Can't miss"...we need a FQB. That said, taking Barkley and one of the lesser rated QBs in a later round, or even waiting until 2019 isn't out of the question. There is no doubt he would vastly improve the offense all by himself. Of course, bearing that in mind, the Jets would likely be drafting in the middle rounds and not be able to get a top pick. Still, if he's there and Rosen isn't, run to the podium and shout his name.

BomberJet likes this.
  13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

This. A few more wins and this should be the plan

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  14. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

A few more wins and they are likely out of Barkley range.

wampa likes this.
  15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Co-signed. Cousins looked great last night.

16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

How high do you think he would go?

17. wampa

wampa Well-Known Member

I suspect if we're picking 3rd-7th Mac will strongly consider burning draft capital to move up and get our FQB. He's got the ammo to make a move up, especially if someone in the top 2 isn't bleeding at QB. But yeah, if we're actually picking at 4 or so, I think it's a no-brainer as well, at this point.

Virtual certainty to go in the top 10 barring injury. 50% chance in the top 5, because team needs and who's picking there is still such a crapshoot at this point, and this'll be the 2nd consecutive strong RB class, which slightly lowers the positional value.

#17 wampa, Sep 25, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  18. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Wouldn’t shock me at all if he goes 3. Obviously it’s early and it will depend on who has the picks but I do think he is easily the best non QB in draft.

ColoradoContrails and FJF like this.
  19. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Wouldn't be mad at this.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Was reading Giants forums, the fans there want Barkley over any QB or OL if they draft in the top 5.

Elliott started the trend back up. Stud RBs are going to go higher and higher because the NFL marginalized RB talent by going with two or three-headed monster attacks putting less emphasis on having a quality back.

This guy isn't making it past 4th overall.

ColoradoContrails likes this.