Same strategy, same result

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Glenn G, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Glenn G

Glenn G Member

Oh please, if someone wants to critique what I said, then do so. If I write about what is going on that is or could possibly prevent us from getting a QB in the draft and you don't agree, then say so, don't say , all we need is a QB and sarcastically write the OP is a genius. The former actually is obvious and has been implied in the post but not what it's about which is wasting a season with McCown.
    The way my post was critiqued was childish (cant wait for the responses on that one) and has the sound of not wanting to engage the topic and just picking a fight.
    If you agree with all that, hey, it's your forum, run it as you see fit. I don't mind a bit of back biting, since I have started posting here I have experienced a lot of it.
    Now I am sure I have given the trolls plenty by responding so have at it.

2. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

mc cown should be on the coaching staff, not the active roster.
    start petty, let the undrafted fa and hack battle it out to see who is the backup and who is 3rd guy.

take a look at cowboys preseason game to see connor rush , an undrafted fa qb who was a 4 year starter in college.
    the vets are already comparing him to romo as far as picking up the game at the nfl level.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

if you haven't gotten flamed at least once, you should not be a member of this board.

we all root hard for the jets but disagree about what /how to right the ship..

ColoradoContrails and Cman68 like this.
  4. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Agreed.
    I feel like I can see the future. The future in which the Jets get the first pick in the draft, pick a sure-fire FQB, and they use their other picks at the top of each round to get him some genuine NFL-quality receivers. Then the guy the David Carr treatment from this shit O-line, and never develops into anything, probably retires to save himself from CTE after only 4 years in the league.

5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Sounds like you're getting the hang of it..

6. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

never mind... :)

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You might be right, but also with McCown comes the real possibility that the Jets win enough games to land in draft purgatory again. As git wrenching as it will be, they need to play Petty or Hack. Either they'll rise the occasion (unlikely), or fail and at least the Jets will "win" a top 3 pick.

8. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

I'm very concerned that Hack dropped back to pass just 10 times in a whole half. There's no reason to play it do damned conservative. It's preseason - if you are going to let him play (as you should), let him play!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

FJF likes this.
  9. I understand what you're getting at but I have a hard time believing many opposing teams assumed to have their #1 QB at the helm will be overmatched by Josh Mccown.

Our only chance for success this year is one of the youngsters stepping up behind center & taking the league by storm and/or the defense is top 5 & defense suddenly matters again in the NFL

Now is the time to start the youngsters.While the OL is subpar & WRs suspect the WCO can be catered to conceal those faults w RBs catching out of the backfield & tight ends down field.These are coincidentally arguably the 2 most stable positions on the Jets. While the OL is bad the problems lie mostly in the tackles while the guards are steady;What that means is a quick passing attack to the aforementioned targets can be executed bc at the very least whomever is behind center is assumed to st least have a clean windshield & ability to step up given the play of Carpenter/Winters.

Red Menace likes this.
  10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

And of those ten, how many were in obvious passing downs where the d could tee off? I don't know if hack will be any good but they did him no favors on Saturday, from o line to game plan, they set him up to fail.

Jets69 likes this.
  11. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

If you think QB is the only issue on offense you are crazy. Look at the WRs. Our #1 is our #4 from last year. The oline looked pretty awful as well. TE is meh. You basically have a ton of young hopefuls. Powell is the best player on the offense right now, and it's a shame because you know every team is going to stack the box. On the bright side, Adams looks like a beast and McDougle is finally looking like he belongs (please no injuries!!!!). Mccown isn't going to be a world beater without guys to throw to and a line that can protect effectively. It's going to be a long season, I very much doubt we will win more than 3 or 4, even with the D looking nice.

And I know tanking sounds sexy, but we all know it's not happening. Bowles would be nuts to lose on purpose and still expect to have a job next year. Players are competing for contacts. If the talent is not there, it's not there, but nobody's trying to lose.

12. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Not to single you out, but there seems to be some lingering confusion in Jet World about what tanking actually means at this level.

No professional coach or athlete is ever TRYING to lose a game. it's completely impractical (not to mention clinically perverse) to try to implement.

Tanking refers to the preparations a front office takes going into a season (and I suppose occasionally during the season) vis a vis their expectations for the year and what that will mean down the line. I.e.:

"This team on paper can win two games. Shall we spend $$$ on free agents A, B and C and try to win 6-8 games?"
    "Well there's some real QB's coming out next Spring, so... nah."

That's tanking. Tanking does not happen on the field.

13. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

To expand on this - it also means "Player X is not going to be on this team next year. So even though he might improve our chances of winning this season - we are better served by playing this younger guy to a)see what we have with him and b)get him some valuable experience which may help us in future seasons when we are trying to win".

This is the number one thing that Bowles can eff up this season.

14. Cman68

Sounds like Master Chan's gameplan for Petty last year..

15. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

What "UDFA are you suggesting battles it out with Hack ? You do realize that there are only 3 QBs on the roster don't you?

16. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Yes!!! Those other QB are not being spoon fed. They came out the shute balling. Last week the Jets and the press are celebrating Hack throwing 3 yard passes with robotic ease...yay! I've never seen anyone so pampered than Hack.

Jedi mind tricks likes this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I don't know where to put this, except maybe start a new thread, but I'll put it here. Bowles was quoted in a column by Brian Costello in the Post as saying:

After the loss to the Lions, Bowles did not sound like he was overly impressed with what Petty had done.

“Well, he moved the ball, but again, we didn’t score any points,” Bowles said of Petty. “So, when you don’t score any points, then you can’t win ballgames. But he had some good throws and some good plays here and there.”

Uh, last I checked FGs counted as points. This seems like pretty clear proof that Bowles has no intention of using Petty unless he's absolutely forced to. And yet, Petty has looked better than Hack, and certainly has more long term upside than McCown. WTF did Petty do to Bowles, screw his wife? Insult his dog? What??? Bowles should fired right now. The Jets would do better without a HC is the only choice is Bowles.

Cman68 likes this.
  18. Cman68

Sometimes a Boss just doesn't like a guy for whatever reason. Petty isn't a Bowles kind of Qb. Petty isn't and apparently neither is Hack. Bowles is from the Parcells coaching tree which means, play your vets. Although both guys report directly to Woody, you have to wonder if the perverbial gun has been put to Bowles's temple to make him start Hack in game 2.

Since McClown will only see action in game 3 before the regular season, it kinda explains why all the reps go his way although that's not gonna be enough. McClown named the starter and then trying to disguise it as a "competition" was fckn pathetic. McClown and his $6mil contract was ALWAYS gonna start. The Qb "competition" was a complete fckn sham. Like I said... Pathetic.

We can only hope Petty survives Toilet Bowles and that idiot is outta here by the end of the season. Bowles' agenda is driven by one thing at the moment and that is... his extension. He doesn't say it, but you can certainly see it as his thinking is short term like a lot of HC's that don't have an extension. He's not known for his offensive acumen so it should come as no surprise that Bowles has this entire Qb thing fucked up from the ground up. The man really has to go and this is coming from a guy that originally preached patience.

#58 Cman68, Aug 22, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    Red Menace likes this.
  19. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

People need to realize that starting Petty or Hack will equate to the Rams game last year. The coaches will be forced to run a watered down dink and dunk offense and the entire unit will look horrendous.

20. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

As opposed to that well oiled juggernaut we have grown accustomed to?