Same Old Jets after all

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 3rdAnd15Draw, Oct 1, 2006.

1. glenn212

glenn212 New Member

okay coach..you don't know jack..

2. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

This is a little surprising coming from you. I saw more spunk, grit, imagination, and character from our team yesterday, than Herm could have ever "Rah, Rah, Sis-Boom-Bah'd" up, in his entire reign with the Jets.

Our D does need work, especially against the run. Agree.

Gotta admit, we have come a hell of a long way since January..............

3. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

3RD is one of my favorite posters...but I have to disagree with you here.

Listen...either we as fans are going to patient with this..or we are not. If you want to make a Mona Lisa puzzle but you dont have her nose and her eyes..do you change the pieces? Or do you make a picture of Rodney Dangerfield.

The correct pieces to this puzzle will be added...its 4 games..and Im sick to my stomach too.

4. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

I don't think I'm being impatient. On the whole you have to love what the CS has done, however I have been seeing fans get a little complacent and act like everything is perfect because Mangini is "better then Herm". Which I think we can all agree shouldn't be the ultimate goal. And if the talent deficiency is truly so great on the defensive side of the ball then I at least want to see them "go down swinging" rather then the soft, gutless BS that we were forced to endure the last few minutes of the game yesterday.

5. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

All we need is somebody by the name of "Longfellow" to play next to "Ball" and I think we will have it licked. :rofl: :rofl:

#65 GreenHornet, Oct 2, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2006
  6. jaywayne12

I do agree third..quite honestly..if the Jets had a strength going in to the season..it would be the defense I would have thought.

Quite honestly...I dont get what the problem is. Ellis is playing better than last year..Robertson is a bust..but is playing better. After watching Urlacher last night, I do agree...Vilma is either not living up to the hype..or is a victim of a horrible job by the defensive line. Considering the amount of tackles they are getting on run plays...it could be that.

Miller has one major problem...he doesnt have a db's mindset. He is either in position and cant make a play..or out of position and getting burned. He has been a major flop this season.

Yesterday didnt bother me as much because it was Manning..and right now Manning is a terrible matchup for the Jets.

Whats bothering me is the inability to stop the run..week in and week out..its pathetic.

I just do not see Mangini making a change at this point. I have said all along that come week 9...if things dont get better...I will right behind you trashing whats going down on that side of the ball.

7. jaywayne12

When you allow Manning that much time..and allow the Colts to semi find their running game...you are correct. A couple of bulls up front will make a huge difference.

Considering the amount of time Manning had..Im still amazed that we were in the game.

8. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

Just to expand on this point, is Herm really the measuring stick we want to use for our coach and our franchise? When Parcells replaced Kotite were Jets fans thinking how "at least he's better then Kotite!" or expecting the Jets to become legitimate contenders? Different situations I know, as Parcells was already an established winner but the sentiment is the same.

If people want to be not that upset after a tough loss with a team that wasn't really expected to compete that's fine, but I just feel like the fans have been a little too pleased with the losses so far. Especially yesterday's game which is as brutal as losses get. If the D had blown the lead once then maybe you shrug your shoulders and say "Manning" but to do it twice within the last few minutes of the game coupled with other near collapses in the Jets 2 wins is distressing to say the least.

9. jaywayne12

I really dont think people are actually using the game itself to say "hey..this mangini guy is much better than herm".

You are going to get your usual "herm would have punted" etc...but Im not looking at this team getting better and comparing where they are to where they were with herm.

Most of us do that to see how things are run differently etc.

I do totally agree..the defense...Im lost for words how bad its been. Part of being a great coach is making adjustments..and while I doubt very much that we will see the 3-4 go away...Im sure there will be tweaks to make the defense better.

10. eyedea

eyedea Active Member

Give us a break man we played the colts.Every one had the colts wining 41-0 before the game started.

11. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Well, your points are valid. I can't deny any of it. After last year, and as a fan, I basically had to do my best osterich imatation for months and have my head in the sand. As a result, I had no real expectations for this year - 6 to 8 wins or so; that's it. I knew we were in absolute shambles in January. I am extremely over-joyed with where we are today given the financial and personnel mess inherited by Mangini.

Yesterday was tough, but I really focused on all of the positives out of the game realtive to the negatives. That is how I am trying to live this season.

I do realize that there are still things on this team that need dire attention, and I am confident they are in Mangini's cross hairs too.

12. GreenGiant 32

GreenGiant 32 New Member

I can understand the frustration lots of fans are going to feel after a loss like that. But please do not envoke the SOJ after a game like yesterday. Especially when I spent the entire afternoon thinking to myself "Whoa... this is so not like the SOJ." I don't understand how you can blame Mangini or Sutton for that matter for not going with the 4-3 yesterday when they clearly played plenty 4-3 (as many have correctly pointed out already) and had little if any success with it.

The problem doesn't lie with the scheme, it's lies with the personnel or lack thereof. I think the real probelm though, lies with your unreasonable expectations 3rd. This team, especially defensively, is not very good talent wise and are playing way above their head at the moment. How many times could you say that about the SOJ? Regardless of what people would like to think, this team is still in rebuilding mode. Still implementing drastically different systems on both sides of the ball, and are being forced in many circumstances to try and fit round pegs into square holes.

There is still room for lots of turnover in the roster over the next two years or so. We are still a work in progress, don't be like champ and be negative for the sake of being negative. Express your frustration and move on. We played a hell of a game yesterday and have a lot to be proud of. I don't believe in moral victories, but I don't dwell on losses either.

13. mem_reddog

mem_reddog New Member

Our defense is a joke, and it wound up costing us the game yesterday. More importantly there has been NO improvement from week to week from the defense. :sad:

14. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

This was a good learning experience from a young team.

15. akibud

akibud Active Member

who here doesn't think the Jets players feel deep down they can beat any team they play?

Especially after yesterdays game, this team has to believe they are competitive enough to win every game.

I was so set yesterday inside the fourth quarter to start a thread with the title " Now do you believe it Neo?"

Those words spoken by Morpheous when Neo rescued him from the agents and saved Trinity from the chopper.

16. MDBigDog

MDBigDog Active Member

Actually I can see the "Same Old Jets" a bit because people have complained in the past about:

a) not stopping the run
    b) a HC forcing "his" scheme without having the players
    c) some questionable play calling on offense, including a 3rd and long draw
    d) a questionable decision to go for a TD instead of the FG
    e) wasting of time outs.
    f) suffering threw a HC learning on the job

Of course they complained a bit more and a bit differently in the past but that's another story that has pretty much run it's course.

That being said, the "Same Old Jets" haven't been here for some time except in people's minds. These Jets and the Jets of the last few years have played their asses off for us fans and have been much more competitive then they should be at times despite various things like injuries and youngness.

I, for one, was quite surprised that we were in the game and pretty much looked like we should've won it when I was almost expecting a blowout. Maybe it's because I have lower expectations this season but I'm not as upset by the losses as I know there will be growing pains.

I realize people will still be frustrated and need to vent so there's nothing wrong with that, but overall I think this team has a lot of potential even if we have to suffer the growing pains.

17. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

bottom line: we should have won the game.

now, regarding the Defense, i think it's arguable whether or not it's coaching or personnel. maybe it's a combination of both. the D could have won the game; Mangini could've/still can make adjustments; maybe we just don't have the players on D that will win us the game -- no matter what scheme, maybe we'll just get outplayed by better players on better Offenses. right now, i can't tell because it's a new system.

on paper, the D looks pretty good, but we're still complaining about things that've plagued us the past few years: stopping the run, getting consistent pressure (minus Abe), and a Secondary that actually makes plays versus one that prevents the big play.

but as far as philosophy goes, these aren't the Same Old Jets, and that 3rd(4th?)-and-1 fade to Cotchery against Tennessee should have convinced everyone that. we now have imagination, drive, guts, and all the other stuff we previously lacked. in my opinion, what we need is the proper personnel on D, mainly more talented guys who fit the scheme, that will make us different than the Same Old Jets D.

cheers

18. Khan

Khan Active Member

I guess no one remembers the defense when it was dreadful against the run a few years ago...this is hardly the worst, at least plays are made (stripsacks, picks early on) but it's definitely got a lot of issues...

19. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Yes, unfortunately, our D may hold us back from getting to the next level this year.