Same Old Jets after all

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 3rdAnd15Draw, Oct 1, 2006.

1. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

Sick to my stomach after watching this abomination. One of two things needs to happen tomorrow morning before the first strike hits against Mangini: Announce the Jets will no longer play the 3-4 or send Bob Sutton packing. Either one is fine with me. From a defense that has been turning in gutless do nothing performances all year and nearly blowing games this one really took the cake. Manning and the Colts were toying with the Jets the entire game, anytime the Colts needed to move the ball all game long they just marched right down the field and scored.

2. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

Hey Newflash manning does that to everyteam in the league. give it a break its not like we were playing some scrub offense.

3. Pride

Pride New Member

Dont take this the wrong way, but shut up

4. Dinobot 2

Dinobot 2 Active Member

Hey! It's not the same old Jets.... The Colts weren't toying with us the entire game man. We had them on the run. They were caught off guard and making mental errors.

5. duketogo

duketogo New Member

While I disagree with the "same old Jets" talk, I wouldn't mind seeing them go back to 4-3 defense.

6. First of all...plenty of 4-3 was mixed in w/ the 3-4...It didn't really make a difference. Our Lb's were overpursuing the entire game, and aside from acouple plays from Ellis and D rob..we had no consistent pressure.

When your front 7 is struggling..against a team like the Colts, why not mix up coverage and hope to confuse the opposition? That was our logic...and it kept us in the game.

7. Jets41815162342

Jets41815162342 New Member

If it were the same ol' jets then Pennington would have torn some ligament during that last play and the colts would have picked up the ball and scored.

Things are looking up.

8. Dinobot 2

Dinobot 2 Active Member

Ohhhhh. God damn defense.....

9. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

The defensive play calling was absolutely horrible - especially the 10 yard prevent cushion, non-blitz defense on the Colts last drive. The Colts looked like they were running a scrimmage out there against some high schoolers.

No, it's not the same old Jets. It's a new Jets team that found the same old ways to lose. Amazing how so many fans are willing to settle for this close but no cigar garbage week in and week out.

10. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

I agree this game was as brutal a loss as the Marino spike game and the Baltimore game when Groh was the HC. That said Maning does that to almost every team in the league and frankly the personal we have isn't that good for the 4/3. We have a week DL and we have two good LB's. We simply aren't good enough yet on our front 7 for either the 3/4 or the 4/3. After Ellis, Barton and Vilma we pretty much are rotating 4 NFL Jags regardless of the scheme.

11. jetsaholic1094

jetsaholic1094 New Member

That's very true. The 4-3 WAS being used, but it didn't make much difference. Jets' success against the run really relies alot on D-Rob. Problem is, he's just too damn inconsistent. On one play, he'd plow right through and disrupt shit behind the LOS, and on other plays, he'd be completely wiped out.

12. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Look at your Name, think of it's origin, and then tell me what kind of job Mangini is doing?

13. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

This is definetly not the same ole Jets,but we need a freaking pass rush bad.

14. 3rdAnd15Draw

What exactly is looking up? This Jets defense is the worst unit they've put on the field in the last 10 years or so, with the possible exception of our injury riddled offense last year. You certainly have to like the stones that Mangini showed today but this defensive performance can't stand.

15. rscherwin

rscherwin Well-Known Member

Dude - I've always agreed with you when you bashed Herm. I think you're being a bit too pessimistic. Manning toys with everyone. The 3-4 they're playing is still 4 DL's and 3 LB's. Though I agree that forcing a 3-4 is a bit Hermish - everything this regime has shown us is that on gameday everything comes together and there's thought behind the plan. They execute well too.

The Jets are playing better than anyone thought. Getting down about losing to a top 3 team is premature.

16. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Don't forget that they played the best team in the NFL... Oh and this is a "rebuilding team."

17. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Well for one thing, our QB (You know, the one with two shoulder surgeries?) is playing very well.

Our WR's are better than any of our wet dreams at the start of the season/

And we might have a Real RB in Leon Johnson.

#17 HackettSuxTNG, Oct 1, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2005
  18. 3rdAnd15Draw

When did I say I thought Mangini was doing a bad job? That doesn't change the fact that this loss is as SOJ as it gets.

19. You gotta be kidding me. Remember the 2003 jets defense? Mo Lewis and Marvin Jones moving a step forward 10 seconds after the snap as back-up RB's torched us for 200 yard games?

This defense may have some missing pieces..but they are far and away a better unit than that crap from the Cottrell years was.

20. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

This was a classic case of a young team learning, and nothing more. As long as they learn from this and don't make the same mistakes, then it's all good.