Sam & Teddy making a statement

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Aug 10, 2018.

1. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Jets QB Sam Darnold Displays Speedy Release in Preseason Debut

His overall numbers against the Falcons were great on paper—13-of-18 for 96 yards and a touchdown— but that’s only a small portion of the story.

On his first two drives, Darnold’s snap to throw times were as follows (by my watch):

His average over 18 total attempts for the night was 2.28.

For reference, according to NFL’s NextGen Stats, Tom Brady averaged a 2.71 last year, Drew Brees had a 2.59 average, Alex Smith had 2.67 and Matt Ryan finished at 2.72, albeit with a much larger sample size and far more deep route concepts (and a different timer).

The only passes near or close to the three-second mark in the first half were deep in Darnold’s progression, and both resulted in middle to deep-length completions. In the second half, the two three-plus second throws were on long play-action bootleg passes. Darnold slid safely on his first scramble and threw only one true incompletion before halftime – a slight overthrow deep to the right on his third attempt. The other first-half incompletion was a clear drop.

2. LF911SC

Yeah, by any measure it is.

3. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

From Petty and Hack to Teddy and Sam

Outhouse to the penthouse

4. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

As impressed as I was with Sam I'm gonna sit quietly in my corner and wait until he comes through in the clutch when we will need him most ... after watching the game last night and after 20 plus miserable years of watching this team I can't get ahead of myself yet, and get heart broken once again ... this time I will proceed with caution and wait patiently. (though that 2 minute drive was for the ages)

That said watching him last night gave me goosebumps :) PS during the draft I was rooting hard for Mason Rudolph and I'll take the heat for it !

#44 Jetsfansince95, Aug 11, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    Red Menace, FJF and HomeoftheJets like this.
  5. Jetsfansince95

Is he not human !?!

6. LF911SC

I just am having a hard time reasoning that Darnold, 6-4 225 shouldnt play out of fear of injury but instead Bridgewater should be trotted out with his slight build and injury history. Fortunately I dont think a HC or staff decides on lineups that way

7. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

i would start bridgewater for the first half of the season. keep fingers crossed and if he plays well and healthy, keep him in there.

is he on a 1 year deal??

8. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Wish the Jets had a 4th QB in camp as 4th qtr. garbage time cannon fodder.

9. Jetsfansince95

I must say watching him yesterday his reads were on point and most of the time he put the pass where only his receiver could catch it, not to mention his eyes were all over the field ... not starring down his receivers

10. forevercursed

[​IMG]

joe and NYJFOREVER like this.
  11. forevercursed

He's got the right instincts too. On his TD pass great awareness of the line of scrimmage. He doesn't back peddle. Steps up whenever he can

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. forevercursed

California kid who's a savage on the field. But the California coastal types just don't get nervous

13. forevercursed

Mason sort of reminded me of a poor mans Darnold. I'm an OSU fan and alum as well. Figures I'd cheer for the Jets of Stillwater

westiedog1 likes this.
  14. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Average?

After years of watching trash QB play from Sanchez, Geno, Petty I'll take average for now.

Yeah I have no problem at all with average.:)

I liked what I saw from Bridgewater last night. I didn't get to see much of Darnold I'm reading he looked good.

15. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Preseason does matter

Just look at the punt fumbles. Clearly intelligence was gathered from that and adjustments and improvements will be focused on.

As for Sam- I don’t care about stats but my eyes never lie.

Poise, awareness, progression, huddle control, 2 minute offense, pocket presence, accuracy and touch were all there....

Whatever happens happens, but so far so good. Denying it is lying to yourself.

If eyes didn’t matter scouts would not exist.

16. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Darnold looked sharp, but the stud of the preseason is Josh Allen.

That guy will be a hall of famer with his big arm.

17. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I think the thing that makes me so excited is the combination. On the one hand he's obviously got a ton of talent. He wouldn't have been the #1 ranked QB in the draft if he didn't.

But in addition to that is the attitude/personality. He seems to have an absolutely priceless (imho) combination of respect, dedication and humility during normal every day life, but when on the field seems to have a little bit of the Michael Jordan/Brett Farve fearless assassin in him. Most are lucky to have one or two of those factors going for them but when you combine every damn one of them into a single package?

I plead guilty to the charge of being one happy Jets fan at them moment :)

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I liked him a lot as well. Saw a bit of the Pitt.-Phila. game. He looked okay, but I was a bit disappointed to see a few of his throws sail on him. Certainly did not have as good a game as Darnold or even Mayfield.

19. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

While it's too early to anoint Darnold as the next great NFL QB, he did look poised out there and made throws that Sanchez could never make. Can't wait to see how he does next week.

westiedog1 likes this.
  20. Doreblade

Doreblade Active Member

Watching it this morning gave me goosebumps too - he's got it. Pocket poise, awareness and a dart of a release. It wont be long before he's our starter.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk