Sam & Teddy making a statement

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Aug 10, 2018.

1. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Teddy played well and made a statement that he is back. Any team needing a QB has to be liking what they have seen SO FAR in Teddy. It's only one game but a step in the right direction.

Sam played well, controled the offence, 13 for 18 no turnovers, no WOW plays....but they will come.
    It's only one game but he took a step closer to being the #1 starter day 1.
    I thought the play calling could have been more aggressive, but it's the first pre season game & Bates probably wanted Sam to just get his feet wet this game.

Now let's see what they do the rest of the pre season.

QUESTION- DID ANYONE SEE HERNDON PLAY AT ALL. HE WAS ONE OF THE GUYS I REALLY WANTED TO SEE. THEY HAVE BEEN TALKING VERY HIGHLY OF HIM IN CAMP.

#1 BudJet, Aug 10, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    NCJetsfan and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  2. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I was looking looking for Herdon but he was MIA.

3. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Looks like Sterling has a one up on the TE battle with Walford and Tomlinson. Herndon will make the roster and Leggett well, IR or PS I'm guessing.

4. DefenseWinsChampionships

Teddy Bridgewater looked like a 1st round pick out there and has improved his trade value since day one.

Sam Darnold showing he's well worth the trade up to 3rd overall.

Great night of Jets football. Pitching a shutout was the icing on the cake.

5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

6. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

you guys for real? they were both average unless you pretend they one hop catche.

7. McCluneNYJ

McCluneNYJ Active Member

[​IMG]

Wahoo, BudJet, NYJFOREVER and 3 others like this.
  8. DefenseWinsChampionships

QB Ratings of 150.5 & 103.0 are anything but "average" when on an NFL level.

20/26 (76.9%), 181 passing yards, 2 TD's/0 INT's with a combined QB Rating of 126.5 during a 17-0 blowout victory is not "average".

It's what Bridgewater/Darnold combined for in other words; they both shined as QB's out there.

9. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

you dont make statements in meaningless preseason games... especially preseason week 1 when starters barely play,

Mark Sanchez was 5-5 67 yards and a touchdown preseason his rookie year.

any reason to be optomistic or pessmistic on either of these guys prior to this game so go unchanged other then maybe questions about bridgewater being nervous about being hit

10. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

I thinks it's more the look of the players than the stat line. Darnold just looked like he is going to be a star in this league. Cannon arm, poised, made read progressions, felt the pressure and moved around, never seemed to get rattled.

With Sanchez, you could always tell he seemed a little scared out there. Never had pocket awareness.

It's one game, and you're not going to anoint anyone yet, but it's hard not to get excited.

11. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

You are right In the sense that this game doesn't automatically mean either QB will be stars in the future.

However, just watching them both, they look like starting caliber QB's.

Sanchez always looked lost to some capacity, he had some talent, but he never felt like the answer and it was obvious.

Darnold looked comfortable, good accuracy, understanding of the plays, went through his progressions very well (big time points for this), and extended plays fairly consistently.

He obviously has some growing to so and there will be mistakes, but I think its okay to be strongly optimistic after watching that game.

I wasn't a big fan of Darnolds, I didn't hate him either, preferred others pre-draft but I'm starting to get the hype now.

Hope the good vibes continue for many maNY years to come.

12. DefenseWinsChampionships

I never knew that player evaluation was now considered as being "meaningless".

I remember when (some) fans thought that Robby Anderson's preseason emergence was also to be considered as being "meaningless". Boy were they wrong.

And Sanchez having only 5 pass attempts to Darnold's 18 pass attempts is Apple's to Orange's. Big difference there in player evaluation.

But yea.

Since when did 'player evaluation' become "meaningless" for a recovering player in Teddy Bridgewater who just improved his overall NFL stock/value, a 3rd overall Rookie draft pick in Sam Darnold gaining a feel for the speed of the game and/or Robby Anderson becoming an N.Y star over night etc etc?

Our coaching staff just had a chance to witness a rookie in Trenton Cannon Fumble not one but two separate Punts. Pretty sure that's not meaningless information for our Coaching Staff to absorb moving forward.

#12 DefenseWinsChampionships, Aug 11, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    NYJFOREVER, K'OB and Freddy Mondo like this.
  13. zace

zace Well-Known Member

It's not even about the numbers, to see the accuracy and timing and watch them control the game, they were very good

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

14. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I have one small quibble with this.

At the end of the game in garbage time when Sam rolled out to the left and just drilled that pass I literally said the word WOW.

Another little point in the game that gave us legit hope that there may be a new sheriff in town was after the nice drive and Darnold threw what should have been a TD pass to Johnson, hit him right in the hands and Johnson tried to give it all the SOJ he could and dropped it. Instead of the drive ending in disappointment though Darnold simply drilled in TD pass #2 only to have it taken away on what appeared to me to be an utterly ticky tack foul bringing back visions of ASJ last seaon. So what happens? TD #3 right in the breadbasket.

That sequence was pretty cool. I was left with the impression that he could have done it another 2 or 3 times on top of that if necessary. And that business as usual is over for now. Sam has punched the timeclock and is now on the job.

15. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

The shut out was entertaining but i wanted to see Cannon return a kick. Punts and kicks are to different types of catches...he clearly isnt a punt returner...yet.

16. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Ole Charlie put down a few last night it seems....

mattyd99, LF911SC and FJF like this.
  17. seanofthedead

seanofthedead Well-Known Member

I had the same thought!

FJF likes this.
  18. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

It was a lovely move, watched it on the highlights before work this morning, it was funny to see the entire defence go left as he then rolled away leaving them for dead, superb.

Brook! likes this.
  19. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

1) WOW play was that rollout to the left. Also I was WOWd when darnold came back from the drop and OPI in the end zone to still convert the td. Said a lot about his mental focus and ability to move onto the next play.

2) anyone saying these games don’t matter don’t get it. Usually it’s easy to find people who get the game and don’t through their analysis of preseason. Nobody cares about the stat line. It’s the eye test. And darnold absolutely passed it. He showed composure, poise, ability to go thru his reads, decisiveness, and a solid arm. I have absolutely no doubt Darnold has “it”. We have our guy boys.

20. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

My Quarterbacks.

FJF and ConcordeChops like this.