Sam Darnold needs some work

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by abyzmul, May 10, 2018.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

You obviously don't understand what you do here on a daily basis.

Your actual nickname is "That Guy", because you are the person that needs to disagree with anything for disagreement's sake, and you do it in a fashion that annoys even the most patient of people.

Your life must be a very lonely place.

I pity you every time I think about what your daily routine must be. I don't think you'd have the courage to say anything to people like that on a daily basis, so this forum is probably how you vent your internal dialogue.

You're just trying to be what you think you are, and unfortunately for you, that yearning is to be an insufferable douchebag.

FJF and xxedge72x like this.
  2. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Yep. There were a lot of positive things said about Bates leading up to the draft, when Darnold was picked, and afterwards by the professionals on NFL network: scouts. players, and coaches.

He obviously is well respected within NFL circles in spite of what anybody says here lofl

3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Every single person on this board could have written this exact post about you and your prolific venom. Buy yourself a mirror, Sonny.

boozer32 likes this.
  4. abyzmul

Has "I know you are but what am I" been taken yet?

You are predictably without a spine. Thanks for living up to expectations.

5. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Seriously, by all accounts Bates is a good football guy.

6. Ralebird

As repetitive as your nonsense is, you still surprise us at times. I write that your life must be miserable, you respond that my life must be a lonely place then come back later with this? Now you add some juvenile claim about me without a spine like a true internet cowboy. Have at it, gunslinger, but instead of just throwing out the insults try to support them for a change - that's what adults do.

7. abyzmul

Do adults use "us" as a qualifier?

You are approaching epic and pathetic levels at this point.

Who, exactly, do you think you are aligning yourself with when you say "us"?

Is it just some faceless being whom you may someday call upon?

#67 abyzmul, May 12, 2018
    Last edited: May 12, 2018
  8. Ralebird

A qualifier? No, that's not what it is - it's the first person plural. I'll let you run up your post count now - that's apparently what you do best.

9. abyzmul

You're not even trying now. Should I just steamroll you out of existence?

10. abc

abc Well-Known Member

Sam Darnold needs some work...

That's why Mayfield was my #1... Darnold my #2... Darnold is NOW My #1... Hope for the Best.

#70 abc, May 12, 2018
  11. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

WOW! Really nice write up and TU for taking the time.

I guess I could have answered my own question with.....golf. Me and the misses took up the sport recently. We hired a pro for one session to get us going.

After watching me swing he said I was swinging with my shoulders and arms only. He was right...my body kind of stayed flat and straight while my arms swung the club. He got me to adjust my feet and step into the swing while rotating my whole mid-section.

Basically, use my WHOLE body to swing the club.

What a huge difference it made. So back to football, if the QB has good footwork, his feet are planted in the right spot so he can 'torque' his entire body, versus standing statue-esq and throwing with just his arm.

I don't know if you remember Pats QB Drew Bledsoe. I remember watching him and thinking 'He stands straight up and barely moves when he throws the ball'. I guess Bledsoe would be an example of not planting his feet and tourging his whole body with the throw. (Plus Bledsoe ran down the sidelines with his chest wide open hahaha!).

OK...i got 'er now. Thanks THM for your reply:)

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  12. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Remember that my post only actually covers lower body work during the throw-- footwork covers a lot more, from the initial stance through the drop, and movement in the pocket. The throwing mechanics portion is really only the last part of complex process. Namath really was one of the all time best at all aspects of footwork--as a Jets fan, it's really worth studying how he did it. He had a really minor hitch as he came around, but I really think that was due to his knees. Some "experts" will complain that he doesn't use the full range of his shoulders when he brings the ball back, but if you dig a little deeper, you'll find that Namath did this on purpose, as it sped up his release, making it the quickest of his era, and one of the quickest ever.

Bledsoe is a huge dude--people forget that, but he's an inch taller than Big Ben and their playing weights were the same-- his upper body bulk, which isn't moving a whole lot when he passes, can fool you, but his footwork was very solid. Pull up some old youtube clips, and you'll see that he gets good hip rotation and his lower body moves a lot more than his upper body. His shoulder rotation could use some work, but below the belt, he's doing things right.

Warren Moon can be a useful example of thriving with unusual mechanics--he was almost textbook in his throwing motion from the hips down, but NOTHING going on above that made any sense. When he loaded onto his back leg, he would arch his back, like he was loading all the way up his spine as well, then his non-throwing arm would just flail kind of randomly and all that energy would send the ball flying. After all these years, I still can't figure out how achieved any kind of accuracy. If anybody else tried that, they'd probably chuck the ball into the stands instead of sending it where they wanted.

#72 TwoHeadedMonster, May 12, 2018
    Last edited: May 13, 2018
  13. abyzmul

I feel bad for having rolled over this post. It may be the best one I have read here ever.

Thank you.

And this concludes my official "holy shit" moment about TwoHeadedMonster.

#73 abyzmul, May 12, 2018
    TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  14. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I won't let it go to my head.

abyzmul likes this.
  15. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

If our coaches can't excel with a QB with such an upside. WELL- we are officially F#CKed.

boozer32 likes this.
  16. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

A rookie turns out to kook like a rookie? Go figure. Darnold looks rightfully like sh*t as he should? He's a ducking rookie for crying out loud.

17. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Nice post Ralebird. I also would like to add that every QB drafted by the Jets need not be tied to Mark Sanchez. Sanchez gets an extremely bad rep. He's the last QB to have us in the playoffs. Enough with the bashing of Sanchez. He and Darnold are two different QB's, human beings. Their only real links are California raised, drafted by the Jets and USC.

18. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I think he does his best work outside the pocket. If you look at his video and game films, his eyes are always downfield. The receivers will have to be active and get to a spot and be open. I think Darnold will find them pretty easily.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Dude, he's a MONSTER with TWO heads....... that means two brains too.... DUH