Sam Darnold Judgement

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Matthew_McBride

Matthew_McBride Active Member

For all of you who think Darnold may be a bust and Mayfield is the next Brees--just a little perspective.

After 3 games Peyton Manning threw 2TDs and 8 Ints--OBVIOUSLY I'm not claiming him to be Peyton Manning, we could only be so lucky, I'm just saying that we would all probably be feeling pretty crappy if Darnold was 2 and 8, and some of you would already write him off.

Patience.

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Anyone calling someone a bust after 3 games is an idiot and there doesn't need to be any examples given as to why that's a dumb opinion.

3. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

If the O-line can't keep defenders off of him for at least two seconds, what would the be the point of sending anyone deep? By the time they're 20 yards downfield, Sam is either on the ground or has had to throw it away.

This shit O-line is huge part of why the play calling is so bad--they can't protect the passer and they can't open running lanes, so quick passes are the only plays available, which means that's the only thing the defense has to try to stop.

They tried buy some time with bootlegs, which worked against the Lions, but Sam mostly threw them away because the Browns were all over him.

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I'm not gonna be too hard on him, but he did play poorly. Not all his fault of course, but it would be unfair to Sam to say none of this was on him.

I would like to see him air it out a bit more. Like even a 20 yard throw would be nice.

I have no idea how much of this falls on him, and how much of it falls on coaching. All I know, is that everyone was afraid of that defense yesterday.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

5. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

The OLine sucks and no one disputes that but in the second half, he had quite a lot of time on many throws and just looked bad. His arm strength is sub par so he needs the receivers to get a lot separation like the Lions game and it didn’t happen. Mayfield was very impressive with his timing and zip he puts on the ball. Let’s hope he improves but you can’t really teach arm strength

Wahoo likes this.
  6. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

if he was on any other team he would become the FQB but ya know he will become the all time greatest Jet avg QB

7. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Guy seems smart and is learning. The key will be how he progresses as the season wears on and how he reacts to humiliating losses like last night. The other major key will be how the Jets tackle the offseason. Bolster the OL and WR and he has a chance to have a great year 2. Go with the ol'defense all the time approach and it'll be more of the same.

8. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

let's also keep in mind that there was a period where the Jets were running the ball well. If they were consistent with that, things would be much different. It would slow down the Brown's rush, perhaps draw the secondary closer etc. That part was smart.

Unfortunately, jets never exploited that well because we started shooting ourself with penalties and didn't air it out until too late

Sorry, not buying this as a Sam problem. Mostly O-line, also (but lesser) HC and OC, and since I don't like Macc lately him too. Can't draft a WR, and when it comes to FA Terelle was a no-show, whereas Landry literally won the game for them with that amazing catch

Wish we had Dorsey

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.
  10. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

darnold was locked on to his first read for far too long last night. he would look to a guy, he wouldnt be open, hesitate, and continue to stare him down ... i think the coaching staff over-emphasized how quickly he should get rid of the ball and his decision making was paralyzed as a result

that was the most bitch made jets offensive play calling ive seen since rex shit his pants at the thought of playing his old ravens in the 2010 season opener

TwoHeadedMonster and Wahoo like this.
  11. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure the context there was "start Teddy because he gives us the best chance to win" hence the response.

12. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

Here’s the thing: Darnold was not not good the last two games. The worrying thing is his accuracy. Accuracy has little to do with other factors: it’s simply getting the ball to where a receiver has a shot to catch it. Mayfield came in and hit receivers in the hands, in the chest, or made passes catchable whether he was moving, under pressure, or had time. In the las two games Darnold has not thrown catchable balls more than five yards downfield. Look back at his throws. This is not in anyway saying he won’t step it up, but it’s concerning

NCJetsfan and 94Abraham like this.
  13. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I'm beyond happy with Darnold, but even the most prolific and talented actors sometimes can't rise above crappy material. If he doesn't eventually have the success at the level we all feel/suspect/believe he is capable of, the bulk of that is on the Jets, not on Sam Darnold. There'll only be so much we could blame on him there, because as we've already seen, the only kind of sandwiches you can make with cat turds are cat turd sandwiches.

I also don't want to see the board devolve into a bunch of smug chest thumping I told you so's about Baker Mayfield. Is that really the issue right now? Who cares. I'm far more concerned about how and where the Jets broke down than I am about Mayfield getting crowned the king of the world and how everyone is Nostradamus. We have Sam and that's it. Solving what's around him would apply to any QB with a shit surrounding cast and a this side of incompetent HC with a questionable OC. Now watch me be told how unreasonable I'm being.

14. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

Accuracy

15. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

The Jets weren’t getting Mayfield, so it’s stupid to say anything about that. The issue is this coaching staff told us this kid was ready to start NFL games with this team around him, and the questions arising are about whether that was actually true and what led them to that conclusion

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. quazeye

quazeye New Member

They played so fucking scared last night it was embarrassing. The whole 2nd half it was run on first, run on 2nd then hope Sam can make something happen on third and long, which he couldn't. Seemed like our only positive passing plays were screens to enunwa. The fucking coaches in this team need to stop calling like pussies.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. Matthew_McBride

Matthew_McBride Active Member

Agreed, we have NO CLUE how ANY of the quarterbacks taken this year will perform over the next 10 years. We just don't know.

I do hope we got this right.

18. Jets777

Jets777 Member

Darnold will be good in the future of the Jets team. We need draft the top wr and RB and TE. And we need sign the WR by FA next summer.. i am thinking about that we should trade to Larry Fitzgerald #WR from Arizona Cardinals. We need help our offense score by Larry Fitzgerald. Call to Arizona Cardinals for Larry Fitzgerald now.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I have disagree here. Go watch the game again. I even commented to my buddy saying that Mayfield was throwing every throw behind the receivers.

20. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

Mayfields placement was not great, but the zip he had on the balls was noticable compared to Darnolds last night, due to many factors