Sam Darnold and.....Sean Payton?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Deathstroke, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Deathstroke

Deathstroke Active Member

The No. 1 pick gets them Darnold from USC, the No. 2 pick gets them Josh Rosen from UCLA. One assumption: They each decide to enter the draft with college eligibility remaining.

Now what about Payton? The Saints attempted to trade him to the Colts the last two years and presumably would be willing to make a deal with the Jets if Woody/Christopher Johnson aggressively pursue him with the Saints' permission and then are willing to give up, say, a fourth-round pick in 2018 and a No. 1 pick in 2019. The first-round pick in 2018 is off limits.

The other is a much more realistic get: Payton and the Saints have been rumored for divorce court for years. Even though he signed a five-year, $45 million contract in March of 2016 that takes him through the 2020 season, that deal came only after the Saints first had discussions with the Colts after the 2015 season. They reopened talks again in January of 2017, 10 months after Payton signed his contract. The talks broke down over compensation.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...ld-belichick-brady-afc-east-article-1.3511686

2. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

He looks good offensively but sure as hell not defensively and we would need to tally him with a good defensive coach for sure and it also looks like he can't select or who ever does the choosing for the saints can't select a defensive player for love nor money.

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2017/09/sean_payton_reflects_on_defens.html

Couple of snippets

Shockingly they are worse than us in defending the pass, who knew that was actually possible lol

The Saints have allowed numerous explosive plays, and rank last in the league in total defense (512.5 yards allowed per game) and last in the league in passing defense (388.5 yards allowed per game).

The Saints have ranked at or near the bottom of the league statistically in numerous defensive categories in recent years, and in 2016 year ranked 27th in total defense (375.4 yards allowed per game), last against the pass (273.8 yards allowed per game) and 27thin sacks (30 on the season).

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

As much as I want an experienced HC who knows offense, I don't think I would want Payton, especially not since the Saints have been trying to unload him for years.

4. Deathstroke

Deathstroke Active Member

Maybe he's the kinda guy who wears out his welcome after a while, but he has a proven track record. If we land Sam and he's the kind of player we think he might become then I wouldn't want any other other coach teaching him, sans maybe Bill Walsh lol

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  5. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

No way i'm giving up a 1st round pick for a coach...I don't care who that coach is.

6. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Said it months ago,,, write Payton a blank check .

Sam Hammer likes this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I want an experienced, offensive-minded coach, but the idea of giving up any picks for one is hard to swallow...I don't know if I would do it in general, unless I was convinced completely that the guy would succeed. Payton has a lot of pluses, but he also has some holes in his game. I sure wouldn't give up a 1st round pick for ANYONE.

NYJetsO12, hwismer and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Not one we as fans will have worked damned hard to achieve ;)

ukjetsfan likes this.
  9. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Would take this duo in a heart beat.

Said this in another thread, not sure if Morton and Payton had a good relationship and maintained it, but if they did, Payton could keep Morton and the Jets would not have to tear up the playbook again.

Also, the Saints and Payton may come to a mutual agreement after this season that his time is up. You don't fire a coach like that, you let him "resign". So, my belief is that it may not require a draft pick to get him because the Saints are going to be drafting within the top 10.

Also, if the Jets lock up the first pick in the draft and they have a coaching opening, the job here will be extremely attractive.

10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

If he is fired,yes. We are going to need the picks they have us trading away to get him though.

CBG likes this.
  11. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Can we send a 4th round pick and Matt Forte to Michigan for Harbaugh?

NYJetsO12, ajax and JetBlue like this.
  12. FJF

Forte doesn't have any eligibility left. Best you can do is trade him to the U, they know how to work around those problems

JetBlue likes this.
  13. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

He won't be fired for external eyes to see. It will be a mutual separation.

Brees and Payton are icons for the city. You can't do them dirty like that.

14. FJF

Semantics. He has to be free to sign. Not trading for a coach and definitely not giving up a 1 for a coach. Not when we need those picks to build around our new prize qb

15. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

FJay I would trade picks alla what we did for Parcells ,,,,this guy would be the first real coach we have had in decades! Anyone who complains about his defenses on the Saints does not understand that when you wrap so much money in one position ( Brees ) you have to skimp elsewhere. Same goes for the Colts and Luck. That is when you have to hit homeruns with draft picks , they were just talking about this exact same thing on the radio. My other question is I trust Peyton to run the entire team , offense / defense and develope a QB but does anyone trust Mike Mac not to swing and miss when theres no margin for error ? The guy swings and misses on picks way too much already !

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Meh, Sean Payton is held in high esteem for reasons I'm unaware of. He has half a team and that half team is on offense. You can score a bunch but if you can't play defense you're shit out of luck in the NFL. Also, I feel as if the Saints are a soft team because they play in a dome.....not sure how he would transition to being a Jets HC. I think we're best suited hiring someone else.

17. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Is it even allowed to trade picks for coaches anymore?

18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Besides, Sean Payton HAS to be on the hot seat by now.

19. FJF

He is definitely getting a lot of mileage out of that 1 super bowl.
    More than brian billick ever got with possibly the greatest defense ever

legler82 and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If Payton and the Saints did come to that agreement and it wouldn't cost the Jets any draft picks, especially their 2019 first, then I would be much more inclined towards hiring Payton, and would probably do it. If he kept Morton, all the better. I'd still want him grilled about D and who his choice for DC would be. If it was any of the clowns he had in NO, I'd say no. We have talent on D and are seeing now what poor coaching does to a unit.

ColoradoContrails likes this.