Sam Darnold 2017 Games Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Sep 2, 2017.

1. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

I'll happily overrate any Jets QB that delivers two superbowls.

ajax, ColoradoContrails and legler82 like this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I'm usually a production over projections type of guy, but you can't ignore Darnold's projection into the pros as a quality franchise quarterback. He has all the skill an NFL quarterback needs to have and has the one skill that eludes most prospects and can't be taught. That's the ability to feel the rush.

Geno Smith had every skill but that one.

Darnold's mistakes are usually unforced and he makes decent decisions under pressure. He just has too much confidence in his arm that he thinks he can fit the ball in any tight window, especially when he has a clean pocket.

Let's wait and see what he does the rest of the year. I tend to agree with you that he has NOT looked like the #1 overall pick. But let's see how he finishes. Right now I think Rosen has outplayed him.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

There's sucking for Sam and then there's sucking off Sam. It's pretty clear which group you are in

4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Why apologize? Interested to see your thoughts on these series of tweets

Definitely the best intangibles, but a lot to work on

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  5. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I watched him last year and have seen 3 of his games this year from start to finish, they are prime time game on Saturdays. I have seen the good plays he has made, but overall his game is not one that makes me say OMG this guy is the one.

I felt Winston was that type of QB, Marriota was close but Darnold does not come close to those 2 guys right now. He needs to finish the season at a much higher level of play to convince me that it would be a great selection for the jets.

Not that my opinion means anything.

Don't be surprised if he starts to fall on some teams draft board if he does not take it to a higher level of QB play by end of the year, he has 7 games left.

#85 Red Menace, Sep 24, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

He isn't playing at the same level as last year, that's for sure. Should be interesting to see how things go as the season progresses. Dude has a strong running game with him as well. He has excellent pocket presence and moves great in the pocket, the arm thing is an issue however.

7. wampa

wampa Well-Known Member

Week 4 was probably his least impressive performance this season. He's got incredible intangibles, pocket awareness, decision-making, and improvisational skills. I also see him throwing receivers open, and going through read progressions, which are areas college QBs often fail in a pro transition. Arm wise, he's probably got some of the best touch of any of the guys who may come out this season. Not in that Stafford, Flacco, Rodgers tier on raw arm strength, but still really solid. The big thing that's stopping him from that clear cut #1 slot is his footwork - stuff like the gif posted earlier in this threat is part of what's leading to some of his worse throws and lowering the power he can get out of his arm.

Rosen's arm looks stronger because his feet are so damn precise and he's getting power out of his whole body, but if Darnold's footwork improves I think it's 6 of one, half dozen the other there. And Rosen's tendency to stare down dudes is one Darnold doesn't share. Right now Darnold's still my #1, because I think the footwork can be improved and he's got an improvisational ability Rosen doesn't (seemingly a bigger frame, too.) Still, several games to go down the stretch and I'd like to see Darnold against some of the worse teams on his schedule - if he's a lot more settled down and able to plant his feet well it'll show it's an ability he has that just has to be more deeply ingrained, imo.

#87 wampa, Sep 24, 2017
  8. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Very shaky performance IMO

#88 grkmanga31, Sep 24, 2017
  9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I asked you guys before to take your feud offline and now it looks like things are starting up again. Knock it off now, or accept the consequences later..

MGMT.

10. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Nice. . There's critiquing QBs and then there's trolling someone with thoughts of giving head. .

It's pretty clear what's inside yours.

11. nyjetsmets89

He trolls every post I make with anti Semitic swipes. Everyone sees it. Except for moderators.

12. Cman68

show me

13. nyjetsmets89

Cman...I don't think I have the time
    To comb through 2 years of the garbage joe has posted on here including a "goodnight moon" book in Hebrew that he posted to get a rise out of me. Don't mention the recent "nose-out-of-joint" comment. It's a common turn of phrase, but in the context of me highlighting his anti semitism...pretty clear who's trolling who.

14. Cman68

Look, why don't both of you simply put each other on ignore and be done. The bickering has to stop. People don't come here to eat popcorn and read you two go at each other. I'm trying to help you help yourself.

15. nyjetsmets89

Ignore blatant anti semitism. Got it Cman. Got it.

16. Cman68

give it a rest... Do us all a favor and knock off the bickering or else.. That's the last I'm gonna say about it.

17. nyjetsmets89

Lol "show me" then "ignore it and knock it off" you got it cman. Only posts about our beloved jets from now on

18. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

And yet I'm sitting here like,
    [​IMG]

NYJFOREVER, Jonathan_Vilma and Cman68 like this.
  19. Cman68

Pot Stirrer.....

FJF likes this.
  20. joe

joe Well-Known Member

That's a good idea nyjetsmets89. . And don't forget the mets.

Try this popcorn instead - much better taste

back on topic:

Tonight USC at #16-ranked Washington State.

Last couple of pages I've been reading how Darnold's got big talent all around him and how poor Josh has to pretty much go it alone. I've also read about how Darnold's been prone to throwing picks (while Josh's reckless "throw-it-up-for-grabs" prayers vs. A&M were pretty much ignored).

TALENT: USC got over-hyped in this year's preseason polls (coming off their 9-game winning streak and Rose Bowl win last year) but what's been forgotten is that USC has lost 11 starters including most of their OL which included BOTH of their All-American tackles. USC talent-wise is not in the same class as Alabama or Clemson. And don't forget that last year's better "11 starters" USC team was crushed by 'Bama 52-7 (i.e. two weeks before Darnold was inserted at QB). And even with his 7 picks (granted, a concern) Darnold's not exactly been chopped liver thus far this year.

Tonight USC faces a Wash St. pass rush that has only allowed one opponent this year to finish the game with their starting QB. This isn't some unranked team SC's playing tonight. On the other hand, UCLA lost to unranked Memphis.

Or put it another way: suppose Darnold and Rosen were playing behind teams with identical talent:

- against a pretty good team there's a good chance that Rosen would have the gaudier numbers.

- against a very good team there's a better chance "x-factor" Darnold would come away with the win.

MISC: Why did Stanford (whom Rosen described as his "dream school") pass on Rosen even though he was touted as the best QB prospect? Hmmmm..... does the young man with the golden arm have a little prickly Jay Cutler/Jeff George in him?

Lots of Cougar love I'm sure out there ...hoping Darnold flops....go shit in yer hats ;-) :mad: ;)