Sam Darnold 2017 Games Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Never happen ... the Giants are a well-run organization (unlike us); they'd never be stupid enough to pass on this guy.

2. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

That's Rosen ... talented guy with a dislikeable personality and who has teammates who hate him.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  3. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

If Darnold comes out(doubtful) and makes it to the Jets pick(doubtful) we should all be thankful that his OL and WRs were horrible last night.

4. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Other rookies have come here and done well. Sanchez, for one, and even Geno went 8-8 his rookie year. I think these guys are head and shoulders above those two, so I don't have any reservations about them starting if they earn it in TC and preseason. Will they make mistakes? Of course they will! However, what we want to see from them are a propensity for positive plays instead of the reverse. Coupled with the Jets defense, a few good FA pickups and I feel even a rookie QB can get the Jets into the playoffs next year.

5. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I am on record going back well before this game that Darnold should go back for another year and I still believe that would be in his best interest.
    Last night he was what I have thought he was.
    He can wow you with a great throw when the play breaks down and cause you to do a face plant when he misses an easy throw.
    His ball security issues were on display as well.
    Last night his line constantly broke down, forcing him to run for his life repeatedly, but all season, he would panic and take off if his primary Reciever was covered anyway.
    He is just too inconsistent at this point and I have major concerns about his turnovers at the next level. Nearly 1-1 TD-TO ratio does not equate to NFL FQB. There's alot to clean up before he will be NFL ready.

6. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Per Ian rappaport - Sam darnold has officially declared for the 2018 nfl draft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NYJetsO12, Cman68 and donkey like this.
  7. Attackett

Big news, 1 of the 4 will be a Jets. Hopefully Sam but don’t have high hopes for that.

8. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Fuck. If only the Colts had the 2nd overall pick.

Big Cat likes this.
  9. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

That's huge news. Very surprised. Great news for the Jets though as it makes a great QB falling to them much more likely. Really impacts the entire QB market this off-season

xxedge72x likes this.
  10. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Definitely great news for us.

Even if a worst case scenario happens and we get jumped twice at picks 3 and 4 (5 straight QBs), we will still have our choice of any non-QB in the country.

We need the QB, but basically getting the best of the rest would still make this team significantly better.

11. joe

joe Well-Known Member

So you didn't really see it because you had 'other things to do' ?....

not a problem, tell us all about it anyway, especially the part where USC's OL throughly dominated OSU's "overmatched" DL while limiting them to 8 sacks..

12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I listened to an interview with Petros Papadakis this morning all about Sam Darnold. Papadakis is a former USC fullback from the late 90s who is now a sports radio host in LA and still very connected to USC football, for those that don't know, maybe everyone does, idk. I was a fan of Darnold before but Papadakis' review has me completely smitten. He said he has seen all the USC QBs in recent years very closely and Darnold is way different & better than all of them (that would mean guys like Sanchez, Kessler, Barkley, Leinart, Carson Palmer)

He said what a lot of people outside of the area don't know is what makes Darnold different from the rest of those guys ( I paraphrase) is that Darnold is not soft like they were. Darnold didn't grow up in these fancy passing academies like all of them, he wasn't thinking NFL at an early age, transferring to some prep school to showcase his talents, or anything. He grew up in a small town and played for his local high school, playing QB and linebacker, with the goal of winning above all, he was actually recruited to play linebacker at USC.

He described Darnold as a "football player"...where guys like Barkley, Sanchez, Kessler and darnold's draft competition -- JOSH ROSEN as "professional athletes" .. It sounds weird perhaps in this post but in the context of what he was saying it made sense. Those guys aimed for self improvement with the goal of a professional career from day 1. (not necessarily a bad thing) - - Darnold is different - he just showed up and played football and tried to win games for his team.
    --

it wasn't just a personality thing though the guy talked about Darnold's play on the field. very honest assessment. He said that Darnold's "struggles" in 2017 are overblown. He offer sharp criticism of USC's coaching staff saying that they never once were interested in protecting their QB. They never called any "max protect" plays like a lot of college coaches do and figured leaving their 5-star offensive line and Darnold out on their own would be enough- even after it was long proven that it wasn't. He said, even just bringing a TE in to block once in awhile would've helped Darnold and the turnovers were a result of the staff asking too much of Darnold after his incredible Rose Bowl the year before, they became over-reliant.

He also said while everyone is aware of his ability to perform in pressure moments that just from a passing standpoint alone Darnold's accuracy is very underrated. Negatively he said Darnold's hands are small and that he keeps the ball too low. The small hands are going to be a story at the combine and hurt him in the draft as some will attribute it to his turnover issues
    --

long post but I thought you guys might like to hear that review. I hope our Jets get this guy. cheers

13. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

If we do get Darnold and that's a big if, I hope that he has to earn the starting job in TC and the preseason. He doesn't look like a day 1 starter from what I've seen.

14. Attackett

If Darnold makes it to 3, Jets need to do whatever it takes to go up and get him. I believe Darnold is the least likely to make it to 3 but if he does he’s the guy to go get.

NoodleArm and BrowningNagle like this.
  15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

yes. it shouldn't take that much to move up from 6 to 3. maybe both of our second rounders. Who cares. We haven't had a good second round pick since Dennis Byrd in 1989

16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

David Harris?
    I wouldn’t want to give up both 2nds. Even if it meant going into next years picks.

17. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Hopefully, Marcus Maye starts a trend in the opposite direction. :)

18. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Just checking out Darnold's Pro Day. Good show and excellent commentary. Great interview. Not likely we get a sniff of him but you never know. He just talked about meeting with the Giants...ouch

westiedog1 likes this.
  19. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I think he said he met with many teams, but only the Browns and Giants took him out to dinner. Of course, no one knows what's going to happen, but the fact that only the top two invited him to dinner is not a good sign for those hoping he will still be there at three.