Sam Darnold 2017 Games Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Sep 2, 2017.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

whole lot of excuses Joe.

There's still time for Darnold to become Matt Barkley. If you watched the game, he couldn't do anything for nearly 3 full quarters.

Red Menace likes this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

3. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Maybe I was a little harsh.

#203 Martin&theJETS, Oct 23, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  4. ColoradoContrails

I wouldn't say he's a bust, but if he decides to stay in school he's making a smart move.

Red Menace likes this.
  5. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I woudn't be shocked if he decided to stay in school. I'm not sure if that would be beneficial for his development but that means one less QB coming out which also means that it'll be pricier to move up as QB needy teams will want to jump up if they're not in position to get their guy

6. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I agree.

Made a point to watch all of his games since he was hyped so much. Only made it 3 games and knew he is not what everyone was hyping him to be.

I'm still very much for going after Cousins.

7. grkmanga31

If Redskins are dumb they'll let Cousins walk but I think Redskins are going to have to break the bank for him this offseason and they will. Good QB's are just way too rare to let go of in today's NFL. If they do let him go, no doubt in my mind he would go to 49ers because he knows Shanahan. Also, I am a bit concerned if we keep Bowles, it will be a deterrent for free agent QB's to want to come here.

Jets really do need an O minded coach. Even if we don't go after cousins, I do not want to draft a rookie QB and have him coached by Bowles. Don't trust him enough to develop a young QB. The trend now is to draft O minded coaches to help rookie QB's in the NFL (Wentz - Pederson, McVay - Goff, Bill O'Brien - Watson, etc).

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. grkmanga31

9. ColoradoContrails

Thanks for the video!

I do see where Darnold has the tools, and he doesn't quit. We could do worse by far. The "looping motion" he has when he throws is concerning, but that said, he makes it work and I think he will do so at the next level...but that also might cause him to slip down the draft. I still think he stays in school for next year, but if he does come out, maybe he slips to the Jets. Again, I still prefer Rosen, but Darnold would be okay too.

10. grkmanga31

I think Darnold stays in school as well. The throwing motion can be fixed with a lot of reps in practice at the NFL level, which will surely be the case with him.

His interception count is concerning, but I see a lot of FQB tools that make him one of the better QB prospects. He's not as good as he's been hyped up to be, but he can be really good if coached up properly.

11. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Darnold = Mark Sanchez

12. grkmanga31

Darnold mite want to see who secures the first overall pick, but let's say the Browns have it and Darnold doesn't want to go to the Browns, can't we also make the argument that the Browns may very well have the #1 pick next year?

If Darnold doesn't want to come out because he wants to develop more and get himself back in everyone's good graces, fine, but if he's doing that under the pretense that he doesn't want to go to certain teams then it's not a good look.

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Why isn't it a good look? Would you want be stuck playing for the Browns? I wouldn't. Not only would he probably not get the coaching he needs to reach his potential, but he'd be stuck on a losing team, where he might take a pounding, and probably have to play in at least two different systems his first few years in the league. I would have the same respect for him for staying in school to avoid playing for the Browns as I would him staying in school to further develop and improve his draft position.

14. ColoradoContrails

I think the NFL (and NCAA for that matter) have WAAAAAY too much power over players. They should be able to pay where they want and get paid whatever the market will bear. Really, a kid having his choice among any sport is really shortchanging himself by picking football under the current system. I think Darnold needs to learn some things, but if he chooses to stay in school to avoid being drafted by a team he doesn't want to play for, then I'm fine with that.

K'OB likes this.
  15. joe

joe Well-Known Member

The down year of the over-hyped, "go-back-to-school" Sam Darnold continues..... Updated, Nov. 4 vs. Arizona:

20-26 (76.9%), 311 yds, 2 TDs, 1 Int, 195.1 QB rat.

"Josh" vs. Arizona:
    20-34 (58.8%), 219 yds, 0 TDs, 3 Ints, 95.3 QB rat.

Rosen with his elite passing ability should've enrolled in a Big 12 program (i.e. once his "dream school" Stanford decided to pass on him).

As for Darnold, maybe he should go back to school for another year. In any event, USC with their 11 lost starters from last year and injuries this year (not to mention Darnold's turnover-prone, horrid play) has quietly posted an 8-2 record (1st in Pac-12 South).
    . . . . .

the 'x' factor: wins games

16. grkmanga31

I see that angle, but I also think that getting to the NFL should be everyone's dream and not what team you play for necessarily. I get that some teams are not as successful as others but then some teams will forever be black balled by college kids when they come out, meaning the Browns will never have a QB, while the Patriots or Steelers, etc may.

17. grkmanga31

But whatever happened to players reaching the NFL, irrespective of what team they go to? Isn't that what playing pro football is about? I get the pragmatic approach to going to play for good franchises but then the league will just stagnate as QB's try to prolong their entrance into the league until they want to go to winning teams. Jets are probably not looked upon highly so I guess Darnold should just stay in school because we're notoriously dysfunctional.

18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It's a player's prerogative. They aren't slaves.

As far as all of them going to good franchises, that wouldn't happen. For one thing, good franchises usually have good starting QBs already, so those players wouldn't get to play for several years, and maybe a lot more. For another thing, some QBs want to be heroes or saviors or at least welcome the challenge of trying to help resurrect a team's fortunes and have an offense built around them.

If Darnold doesn't want to play for the Jets then staying in school is an option. There is some risk involved in that, but imo that is better than pulling an Eli Manning and stating that you won't play for a team prior to the draft.

19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

20. grkmanga31