Sam Darnold 2017 Games Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Rosen I'll agree with, Jackson is a RB playing the QB position. If he's there in the 6th round and jets take him fine, no way he should be selected before that.

The guys has 1,500 rushing yards, that's unacceptable from the QB position.

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Lamar is not a RB playing the QB position. It's time to put that idea to rest. He's patient in the pocket and goes through his reads. He is Michael Vick 2.0. He's good in the short-passing game, bootlegs, play-action and has an extremely quick release. His accuracy is a little inconsistent on the outside and needs work, but he's improving at a remarkable rate in terms of playing the QB position.

He, out of any of the QBs in this class, have NO help. He accounts for 70%+ of his teams yards.

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

He seems ,to me anyway, as a better qb than Vick was in college,more accurate, more patient before running.
    Lamar is going to be drafted middle first round. Should be by us

Brook! and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  4. Red Menace

You would be ok if the jets selected Jackson with their first round pick?

I would not, and the reason he might account for such a high percentage of plays is because he is not that good a passer and does not get the ball to his receivers the way he should.

It's not going to get easier in the NFL as passer windows are smaller and CB are better. If he amounts to anything close to Vick that would be a relief.

5. 101GangGreen101

Michael Vick said it himself, Lamar Jackson was better then him coming out of college. He's definitely more accurate than Vick, though I would say Vick wins in terms of arm strength, but not by much. Lamar's arm is the reason I preferred him over Watson and both are great competitors. Scouts will continue to think Lamar can't play QB and he will probably drop to the middle-end of the first round. I hope the Jets target him.

Mac wants Rosen definitely first and foremost, he's been at 3 or 4 of his games.

6. FJF

Yes

7. 101GangGreen101

Absolutely. However, I want to gamble in this draft. Take one of the LTs or Barkley with the top pick, then trade back into the first round and grab Lamar Jackson. We have the ammo to do it. 2 2nd rounders, we don't have to sell the farm for Jackson. Might have to for Rosen.

Red Menace likes this.
  8. FJF

A win today and Rosen is out of play unless mac has plans of going mike ditka.

101GangGreen101 and Red Menace like this.
  9. Red Menace

I agree it should be LT, that is a must. wouldn't sell the farm for any QB, too many holes to fill and there are a lot of good players coming out in April. Looks to be a good draft.

I'm going to simply say I would not take Jackson in the first round, that's just my opinion.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  10. 101GangGreen101

Yeah, the 49ers are going to "out-tank" us ... Cousins, I think will be the key this off-season ... where does he go? 49ers get Cousins, do the Jets trade with the 49ers and move up? How many more wins do we see on the Jets schedule after this game?

11. 101GangGreen101

I respect that decision. I don't think the Jets would have to sell the farm to get Jackson. Jackson probably goes mid to end of the first. Jets have a shot to move up and get him. We need a QB and to shore up this line. Find an edge rusher ... we have holes yes but a QB with a shored up line will accelerate the young team's process.

I see QB, LT, C and EDGE as the key spots for the Jets right now. Center, I almost prioritize more then LT ... Johnson is bad ... Beachum has been OK, but a good LT is a great piece to have.

Red Menace likes this.
  12. Red Menace

Forget about Cousins going to Niners, I bet they plan on growing a young team with a young QB, don't be surprised if Rosen or Falk are chosen by Niners.

Falk is an excellent fit for Shannahan's balanced offense. When I see Falk, and how smooth he is, I can picture him in San Francisco with Shannahan and repeating what Kyle did with Matt Ryan in Atlanta.

Why would they spend so much money on Cousins when they can get a 4 year inexpensive potential FQB to help build the team?

He and Lynch both were given 6 year contracts, plenty of time to build a good team.

I see Jets winning maybe 2 more games, the offense is just not good enough to make a difference.

#192 Red Menace, Oct 22, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    grkmanga31 likes this.
  13. 101GangGreen101

We'll have to rank our college QBs after this season is done, I think it's going to be an interesting draft. Falk, I think will go in the 2nd to 3rd IMO. A lot of pieces will be moved this off-season, and I agree I see 1 or 2 more winnable games for the Jets at best.

Red Menace likes this.
  14. Red Menace

I'm in, i also don't listen to the pros with regards to these QBs. I like college football and I simply watch the games, it's not as easy to figure out because the style of play and lack of talent across the board sometimes gives these kids an inflated media hype or the opposite happens some of them go unnoticed or under appreciated.

15. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Wow

Dudes stock is falling

Onto Rosen ..

16. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

Darnold will surely stop in college for another year after that display!

grkmanga31 likes this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'd be okay taking Barkley first and then trying to get Jackson, but not locking in a force like Barkley or the best QB available and taking a LT first would be risking too much in terms of not being able to get a major difference maker in a skill position.

I'm holding out hope that somehow they can get Rosen.

18. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Sorry but I've revisited this issue one too many times already: once again the Josh Rosen fanboys make these sweeping, presumptive generalizations about their guy while ignoring specific football-related items that are brought up such as this week's "what to watch for" PRE-GAME assessments, which included:

- USC's DL banged up, look for ND (w/2 1st rd. picks) to run the ball down their throats: ND ran for FOUR HUNDRED YARDS(!!) and almost 200 yards in the 1st half alone.

So what happened? That's exactly what happened. Darnold had a snowball's chance in hell of winning that game given the physical one-sidedness of the line play (on both sides of the ball).

"Josh has a crappy team around him and he still produces." Really? Then where were all "Le Ballwashers de Rosen" :) after the Arizona game?

Darnold's "bad game production" vs.a ranked ND team that USC was no match for physically:
    25 of 36 (69.4% completion pct.), 2 TDs,1 Int., 7.2 yds. per attempt

Josh's "still producing" gem vs. an un-ranked Arizona team that UCLA rushed for 228 net yds. against:
    20 of 34 (58.8% completion pct.), 0 TDs, 3 Ints (2 in the red zone, another a pick-6) - 6.4 yds. per attempt

Flip the numbers on those two games and then and tell me it wouldn't have been mentioned unlike the TGG "radio silence" that followed Josh's Arizona meltdown. The double standard's glaring. Here everyone went full-fanboy rushing to post "see?..Darnold sucks!" after the ND game while none of you'all uttered so much as a peep after Rosen's freezer burn 'produce' at Tempe, Az. . Btw, UCLA's RBs have rushed for 200 yards in back-to-back games so can we please bag the "sob...my football hero has no offensive help..sob" . b.s.? . Yes, UCLA has a lousy defense, but it ends there. And btw, ND ended up with over 500 yards of offense vs. USC - not exactly the '85 Bears either..

Darnold's revamped OL (mentioned here for months) sucks as does Tee Martin their OC, but if I'm a GM who's picking sides, while Barkley's winning the Heisman, Darnold's still my first pick.

. [​IMG]

#198 joe, Oct 23, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  19. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

If you haven't seen Jackson play, this might be the conclusion you'd draw. If people actually watched him, they would see he consistently looks to throw before running and does a good job keeping his eyes downfield. It just so happens that in addition to being a legitimate threat as a passer, he is one of the most electrifying runners as a QB in a long time. From what I've seen so far, I'd be very excited for him to be a Jet. This guy is a game changer

One of my biggest concerns with him is his size as he looks pretty slim. Will this be a problem in the NFL if he doesn't bulk up?

almbleamal, FJF and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  20. 101GangGreen101

He'll need to add some strength to that frame for sure, perhaps 10 pounds prior to the combine would help. It's crazy he's only 20 years old, so you can definitely eventually see an improvement in terms of arm strength. It's amazing how far he's come in terms of playing the QB position. One thing he needs to work on, is his body position when making certain throws. It can get very sloppy, you want to more consistency, especially on big throws down the field. Once he gets the fundamentals down and works on his physique, he'll be one hell of a player I think in this league.