Safety Jamal Adams from LSU

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Dec 26, 2016.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You're right, but we can get the QB or RB and then fix the OL. It's harder to find those top QBs and RBs than it is to find OL, so you take tehm when you can get them.

2. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

You're certainly entitled to your opinion. Not sure what it's based on, but you're entitled.

3. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Cart before the horse, my friend.

You have to have the O-Line in place for the QB/RB to be successful, especially rookies..........the Cowboy formula. Do you think Zeke and Dak would be as successful behind a crappy line???? Not a chance.

4. westiedog1

Matt Cassel, Kellen Moore, and Brandon Weeden played behind the same "great" Dallas OL last year. Combined record was 1-11. If the OL is more important than the QB, how come they weren't successful?

#64 westiedog1, Jan 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Nope, no thugs for me.

boozer32 likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

While that's true, you can't pass up a franchise QB or topflight RB either. You may not get another shot at one if you wait until you have your OL in place. How long has it been since the Jets had a realistic shot at a real franchise QB? How long has it been since they've had a RB who was capable of leading the league in rushing or even being in the top 2-3 every year? If they get their QB this year, they can sit him for a year, while upgrading their OL. They can also get a RB AND upgrade the OL at the same time. That said, I'm with you on not wanting to take a RB at #6. As much as I'd love to have Fournette or Cook, I'd rather have Garrett, Barnett, Adams, Hooker, Mike Williams or even Ramczyk.

blackssmagic and westiedog1 like this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

Sure, in an ideal world, you'd want to have your OL in place, but ideal rarely happens.

Look, when was the last time the Jets had a truly great QB, in his prime? Namath, that's it. Since him, the Jets had the Sack Exchange, one of the best all-time defenses ever, and never even got to the SB. They've had great OL, and never gotten to the SB. Although having a FQB isn't an absolute requirement, it almost is. And teams that didn't have one that got to the SB had all the other pieces, including a great RB. Until the Jets get their next FQB, the best way for them to to get to a SB is to have a great defense, and franchise RB who can take the load off the QB. But you're not going to find these kinds of players outside the first 10 picks, or even outside the first 5 usually. But you can find above average OL in those later picks. That's why, in this case, "putting the cart before the horse" makes sense.

westiedog1 likes this.
  8. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

I'm not expecting Watson or Fournette to be there when we pick but if Foster is I would be happy with him. I just want us to get it right

9. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

Barnett is a beast, set all kinds of records at Tennessee....he has speed, can dip his hips, and has power. I wouldn't be surprised if he turns into a Suggs type player

10. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Where is the franchise QB in this draft? I just don't see one, so IMO, there is no one QB to draft at #6. You really want Hack, Petty & (some rookie) as your 3 QBs??? Watson is the only player I might consider and he should be gone.

The Jets will never be consistent on Offense till the O-Line improves. I understand we need a franchise QB, but you can't expect a rookie or 1 year player to be successful with our pathetic O-Line. Management hasn't taken the O-Line serious since Brick/Mangold were drafted over 10 years ago.

BomberJet likes this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

Well, maybe we have to just agree to disagree. But if they can somehow snag Watson by trading up, or luck out and have Trubisky fall to them, then I think they have to take a QB first. And if that happens, I would see who steps up after TC, and cut either Hack or Petty. I would also have signed a vet QB who can compete for the starting job, but not one who will be a roadblock to the younger guys.

Their OL needs improvement for sure, but it's not a shambles. If they can draft a stud OL or two, and sign a solid vet or two, they can build from there going forward.

westiedog1 likes this.
  12. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Dak Prescott proves my point - you don't need to draft a gamble in the 1st round.

If they made a mistake with Hackenberg? They haven't admitted to this at this point. Three QB's drafted in 3 years? The latest with the #1 pick? With all the holes they need to fill at LB, FS , CB and OL....this team is a mess in may other positions. Sure draft a QB in round 3 - I'll go with that. Jets desperately need to find a day one starter like Adams, Foster or even a RB like Cook.

13. ColoradoContrails

I guess you don't NEED to draft a QB in the 1st round, unless you don;t know how to evaluate QBs, in which case the higher rated QBs cut your risk. I have to really question Macc's judgment after taking Hackenburg with his 2nd pick, so I don't trust his ability to find gold in the later rounds. And for all the investment in the defense, where's that payoff, and you advocate focusing on MORE "D"? If they don't draft Watson or Trubisky, then they need to get Fournette or Cook, and then address the OL, or a stud pass rusher. The only exception I would make in that plan is if Garrett somehow was available to them. Aside from that, they really need to focus on the Offense, including the OL.

14. westiedog1

Okay, but what if he's there? Would you take him or go somewhere else?

By the way, here's what "some rookies" did in their rookie year as starters. In almost every case there is a pattern of improvement.

Wilson - before 7-9 - rookie 11-5
    Luck - before 2-14 - rookie 11-5
    Winston - before 2-14 - rookie 6-10 (next year 9-7)
    Prescott - before 4-12 - rookie 13-3
    Mariotta - before 2-14 - rookie 3-13 (next year 9-7)
    Carr - before 4-12 - rookie 3-13 (next year 12-4)
    Bortles - before 4-12 - rookie 3-13 (next year 5-11)
    Wentz - before 7-9 - rookie 7-9

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Taking a QB in the 1st round after selecting one in the 2nd the previous year....that would be unprecedented. Even more so taking a QB in the 2nd round 2 years in a row? Would like to find a case where any team in the last 30-40 years did something similar - can't be that many.

Unfortunately as far as moire D - the Jets really picked some lemons over the course of he previous regime Dee Milner, and Pryor comes to mind, though I haven't given up on Pryor just yet but he's certainly has not lived up to his drafted status. The really could use a great FS , a great pass rusher and a great ILB player maker - all those 3 are within their grasp at #6.

16. ColoradoContrails

What's "unprecedented" is almost 50 years of failure. The Jets need to do something radically different, and they need to find a franchise QB, so they need to keep drafting them until they hit.

As for needing a great FS, pass rusher, and ILB, yes they do, but they can get them in later rounds more easily than getting their FQB or a game-breaking RB.

17. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

"Some Rookie", I can make a longer list of failed QBs, so I don't understand your point.

I don't want 3 inexperienced QBs on this team, end of story. The Jets should/will look to add a vet QB to go with Petty & Hack, both unproven players.

BomberJet likes this.
  18. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Again, 3 inexperienced QBs and a shitty O-Line, we can agree to disagree. The O-line is terrible, except for Carpenter. Center & LT are ????s. We might lose Winters to FA. It's a total mess.

19. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I'm not going to partake any longer hijacking this thread about QBs, we have a thread for that.......It's a Jamal Adam's discussion.

If someone wants to start the state of O-Line thread, that's fine.

NYJETS4life24 likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

I didn't say there was a franchise QB in this draft. I was speaking in generally. I actually agree with you that there isn't a franchise QB in this draft. I've seen Watson a lot, and like him, but at this point don't see him as a franchise QB.

To answer your question, no, I don't want Hack, Petty and a rookie as our 3 QBs. I do want Hack, Petty and a young vet QB however that has to compete for the starting job. I don't want the starting job handed to anyone. I would go with Glennon if possible. I don't want either Petty or Hack to take a beating, but if one of them beats out Glennon or which ever FA QB they sign, so be it.

I think Petty and Hack should be given every opportunity to develop. If neither is going to be our QB of the future, we need to find that out in 2017. I think both deserve that chance. Therefore, I want to build the team around them. If one or both succeed, great, we already have our QB. If neither one does, then we know that and should be in great position to draft a QB in 2018.

I agree that the offense will never be consistent until they fix the OL, but more than likely, it isn't going to get fixed in one off season. Unless they can get Ramczyk or some other OT in the draft surprises and Shell proves to be the answer at RT, they're going to be going with a stop gap at at least one, if not both OT positions.

I don't expect Petty or Hack to be ultimately successful next season even if by some miracle we are able to fix the OL in one season because I have little or no faith in Bowles and his CS at this point. If they show progress and real flashes of potential, that will be enough while other young players on the roster develop. This team isn't even challenging for a playoff spot in 2017, much less going to the playoffs. I don't care if they win no games in 2017 as long as we see that roster holes have been filled well, the 2017 draft picks make an immediate positive impact, and the team's level of play improves.