RUTGERS fans : jets talk to Clark Harris/TE ~ ~ ~

Discussion in 'Draft' started by kelly, Feb 23, 2007.

1. kelly

kelly Banned

Jets | Team talks with C. Harris
    Thu, 22 Feb 2007 22:27:22 -0800

During his NFL Combine interview, Rutgers TE Clark Harris said he talked with the New York Jets. Harris said the team told him they needed someone.

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don't think this is big. Teams talk to every position that they don't have a set starter at. It's not like we have our Antonio Gates, so who knows. If free agent goes amazingly we could be in the market for a Clark Harris in the second.

3. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

I'll still stick with Chris Baker for a while. I don't think getting a new TE should really be a concern as of right now.

2nd String, yeah, but the Jets shouldn't be going after someone to replace Baker.

4. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Don't forget, we also have Ryan, who is a solid blocking TE.

Our problem with TE's- we don't throw to them nearly enough.

Baker is solid, if you noticed his few big games last year, towards the end, it was when Chad kept on targeting him.

5. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Baker is a very average TE. He is also extremely overrated. I like Baker, but I think he would be a better #2 TE.

6. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Heh, that's got to be the best tidbit ever. :grin:

7. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

No. You havent seen enough of him. (BY virtue of the offense) In Games where he has been asked to catch the ball, he has been just this side of spectacular.

Baker's problem isnt Baker. It's the fact that this team has no speed out of the Backfield and on the Outside which would bring one defender down, and one safety out of the box, forcing a lone LB to cover the TE.

Get a speedy wideout, and a long distance threat out of the backfield (and we may already have that) and Baker should catch 60 balls, 10 td, 900 yards a year.

8. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I understand Baker hasn't gotten enough looks, but I am certain he will never have a single season like the one you just stated. It really is just a matter of opinion. I don't think he is a GREAT #1 TE and I never bashed the guy. I simple think he fits a #2 TE role better.

By the way Hobbes where have ya been? I haven't seen you posting in awhile.

9. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I disagree that we need more speed. Leon is pretty damn quick, and Coles has been clocked at one of the best 40 times all-time for an NFL player - granted he's probably lost a step since then, but he's still pretty damn fast.

I think you're right that we haven't seen enough of Baker though. He seems to catch pretty much any catchable ball thrown to him, he just doesn't get enough passes.

10. -MC-

-MC- Active Member

maybe for a backup TE, 4th at the most.. and we dont have a 4th.

11. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

Just a reminder to anyone who doesn't think the Jets need another TE because they have Baker: A team can put 2, sometimes even 3 TEs on the field at once.

12. Hobbes3259

i lurk frequently but with so little NFL action, and being so busy, its hard to get the posts in.

13. Hobbes3259

Coles 'illusory' 4.16 was at florida state, and he has only run marginally better than average verifiable 40 times (4.4 plus..) since.

best from the last 7 combines.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/rating...r=2007&GenPos=WR&sortorder=LastName&order=ASC

14. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

go ask the patriots if you can have enough quality TE's on the roster.

this should not surprise anyone and it shouldn't surprise anyone on draft day.

jil

15. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

I agree Hobbs (nice to see you) Coles doesn't play as fast as the phantom 4.16 40 @ FSU. We really don't have that breakaway threat on the outside.

Ellis

16. Trey Ko

Trey Ko New Member

I think it was even more surprising about what the Giants/Coughlin had told him!!!

Coughlin said that they don't know what they're going to do with Jeremy Shockey!!! Now, that's going to make some news when it hits New York!!

It's not usually something that a coach would tell a prospect about someone of Shockey's stature.

17. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Did he mention anything about Shockey going to the Jets for a 6th round, conditional 2008 pick?

I'd kill to have that guy on this team.

18. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Man, that would be sweet...

19. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

NE's offense does use a lot of 2 TE sets, but the Jets use a version of the SD offense, which uses few multiple TE sets. Do we have to do EVERYthing NE does? The lack of a solid downfield threat is, here we go again, but what we have to live with as long as Chad is the QB. The safeties can play up, and the deep pass doesn't get any respect. Baker is left with few seams to go find and exploit.

Speed at the WR position isn't as important as a WR's ability to get seperation and YAC. Sure, there is the explosive Steve Smith type, but then there are guys like Rice, Boldin and Owens that aren't barn burners.

I don't think Baker has a pro bowl in his future, but he's a solid TE. As far as Graham goes, I think he'd prefer to go to another team where he will get the ball more often, which was one of his complaints about playing in NE.

20. JetsLookingforDWare

People have failed to notice the Jets have grabbed the youngest possible coaches on staffs with young, talented, energetic, and best of all creative teamS.

Not just the Patriots.

Schott is the perfect example. The Chargers/Chiefs style of offense is quick, efficent, and hard to defend...so who do the Jets look for in the OC? A young, offensive Chargers coach.