Rumors about the third pick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJT73, Mar 20, 2018.

1. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Huh? Allen is the best QB since Marino, Favre, Rodgers and Manning (either one), But he wasn't even in the Heisman discussion and people here want him to be the Jets pick @3. I would take Jackson over Allen.

2. boozer32

I only pay attention to the Heisman when it involves running backs.

3. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

This isn’t logical.

You don’t trade away that many assets in a draft for one player when you are a rebuilding team.

The one and only exception is for a FQB. Literally doesn’t make sense unless we are taking a QB.

Especially not for a RB, in another DEEP RB draft class. We couldve kept our two two’s and still for a high caliber RB in the second round.

I’m happy you seem to really like Barkley but it’s HIGHLY unlikely he’s the pick.

In no way should anyone think Barkley is the guy at 3.

Common sense.

4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

So have I, and Lamar made far more nfl throws then Mayfield. I don't care about the stats.

5. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

He ran a true pro style offense, went through full field progressions, called audibles. None of the other QBs did.
    It will be interesting to see his pro day later today. There must be a reason he started jumping up the big boards even prior to the senior bowl. Watch that game and tell me he can't throw.
    Who are you touting as the can't miss day 1 starter? Darnold? Mayfield?

6. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Just an fyi the guy who wants Barkley at three says Bridgewater right now has a bigger upside than each of the 4 qbs

#346 forevercursed, Mar 23, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  7. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

But Brees doesnt and he's slightly shorter than Mayfield

8. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

even that's not a given. reggie bush didn't turn out to be much at all. neither is derrick henry, ron dayne was a huge bust as was salaam. The last time a hiesman winning RB was really a beast in the NFL was 1988 winner barry sanders. although a couple others have had decent sucess like ingram, george, ricky williams (he could have been a stud if not for the weed). that's ever RB who won the hiesman in the past 30 years

busts dayne, salaam
    decent henry, bush
    good ingram, george, williams
    excellent sanders

8 winners, 2 busts, 2 decent, 3 good, 1 HOFer

9. GasedAndConfused

Jackson throws downfield a lot, baker doens't. that's why completion percentage doens't mean a lot. that's why in the NFL favre who was a gun slinger had a lower completion % then much worse QBs running the WCO. again you re too caught up in stats and not film. college stats mean nothing in the NFL. If you watch them play, jackson shows everything you want in a QB with the added ability of a dual threat in the likes we haven't seen since vick. mayfield shows a guy who doesn't look like an NFL QB but had a good system in place for him boosting his stats

10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

That is my take as well. Clearly I have no real idea what his wish list and ranking looks like, but the trade to 3 was to guarantee that one of the top three in his list will be there. Three, not four. At four the chances of having one available with the six pick was far more likely, and if not he would walk away with either Chubb, Barkley or Nelson and still have two seconds.
    So my take is that he is perfectly happy with either Barkley, Rosen and Allen. Many will argue Mayfield but I'm guessing not. In either case we will never know the full priority order but for sure will know of the remaining how they were ranked after our selection. My crazy take is that Mac has Allen, Darnold and Rosen in that order. Only because of Rosen durability concern.
    Here in the West coast across various College campuses, where some of my friends kids are currently enrolled in sports, the rumor for months was that the Jets were very, very high on Rosen and Allen, for whatever is worth. My $.02 cents.
    I wil say day one of the draft in 2018 will be one of the more anticipated and thrilling for the Jets in a long while. Make it count Mac, because we will have to go back to sleep on round two unfortunately.
    As a Jet fan, whomever you pick I will root for 100%. The debate is over at that point.
    And speaking of round two. Nothing, but nothing would give me more pleasure that to see Devin put up a stellar performance this year for us and become a real contributor. Time to dispel the curse of second round picks even more.

Seth likes this.
  11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Devin who?

Ozymandias likes this.
  12. boozer32

I counter with Matt Leinart, Troy Smith, RG III, Tim Tebow, Eric Couch and Chris Weinke.

13. GasedAndConfused

How is that a counter? I said most Qbs who win the hiesman are busts as well. I think you need to counter the mayfield lovers here, not me

14. GasedAndConfused

New rumor

Sounds like darnold going 1st is a forgone conclusion. If the giants take rosen at 2 or trade out for a team taking rosen at 2, then we will draft allen. If the giants pass on a QB and grab chubb or barkly or fitzpatrick or nelson, then we will likely take rosen.

word is rosen was very imporessive in interviews. he's viewed as a dick, because he has a much higher football IQ then most, and doesn't quite grasp the concept that not everyone does. in other words, people don't like him because they consider him a "know it all" not a bad quality as long as he can be a bit more empathetic to people not being as smart as him. But should fit right in talking football with bates.

15. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Eddie George could have been a whole different back if he hadn't ended up where Jeff Fischer could line him up as a single back virtually every play of his career. The only years he had a legit fullback (1999-2000, Lorenzo Neal), this YPC jumped up almost half a yard, and they went to the Super Bowl.

16. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Haha, by that logic, Russell Wilson is 5'1".

K'OB likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Maybe they can fit Mayfield's helmet with a periscope so that he CAN see over the middle. ;) LOL

Footballgod214 likes this.
  18. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Brees didn't win the Heisman, Chris Weinke did. Weinke was a bust in the NFL so there's that against Mayfield.

19. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Your argument for completion not meaning much starts and ends with Favre, who graduated 27 years ago. Give me a few other names of top NFL QBs who could not complete 60% in 3 years in College, perhaps someone who is a good NFL QB today? And this is from the spread, where stats are inflated. As far as where he throws - these are just excuses. If you can't get completion of 60% in a spread offense by your junior year, your chances of being accurate NFL passer are very very low. Give him some points for mobility, but too many times I see QBs who run a lot get hurt. Vick stopped doing it. Wentz got hurt. Heck - even McCown got hurt last year, trying to run. Better be accurate instead and use occasional running game rather having poor accuracy like Jackson and rely on running game too much. That's why I want Mayfield if Rosen and Darnold are gone. He can pass and can pass very accurately - the most accurate in NFL for several seasons in a row. Both the film and stats show that - for these who want to see the entire picture. Plus has some mobility too.

20. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I'm all over this. Thousands of posts here alone, trillions of pixels smoked every minute, what useless carnage! All the experts and all the guys here who know better than them, not only who is better, but who will go in what order and who, three years from now will be Jesus Christ Superstar and who will be a bum before he gets on a plane to his first workout. Multiply this by 32 teams..."Oh, the humanity!"

TwoHeadedMonster and Rockinz like this.