RubenDias Mock Draft 3.0

Discussion in 'Draft' started by RubenDias, Mar 28, 2017.

1. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

Round 1 pick #6 Malik Hooker Safety 6´1 206 lbs

I belive Jamal Adams is off the board when we pick we got with the more rangy cover safety. He's the ultimate lurker. His instincts are always bringing him to the football and when he gets there he has the ball skills to take it away. His lack of game experience and issues with tackle consistency will likely show themselves early in his career, but his ability to flip the field is worthy of an aggressive projection. He has the talent to be a high-impact starter for years in the NFL.

Round 2 pick #7 Alvin Kamara RB 5`10 214 lbs

Complete running back right attitude on and off the field. Ascending, competitive runner who has flashed explosive NFL talent at various times over the last two seasons. A committed runner with excellent balance who finds yardage that isn't blocked for him. While he has never logged 20 carries in a single game, he has the talent to play on all three downs.

Round 3 pick # 6 Ethan Pocic C 6'6 310 lbs

Good player flexability all over the line wich we need, natural athlete with starting experience all along the LSU offensive line. Scouts say Pocic has the intelligence teams look for from a center and is highly regarded by LSU coaches and teammates in the locker room. Pocic is an excellent "work-up" blocker with the ability to thrive in a running game that operates in space.

Round 3 pick #43 Kendell Beckwith ILB 6´2 243 lbs

I think this guy complements Darron Lee ,productive full-time starter over last two and a half seasons on talented LSU defenses. Has the size and spirit to play for teams expecting physicality from their inside linebacker, but his game comes with some athletic and coverage limitations.

Round 5 pick #6 Jeremy Sprinkle TE 6´5 252 lbs

kind of a sleeper in this TE class a grinder that loves the game ,outstanding length and a frame that can handle more weight. Has the toughness to be an NFL blocker, but might need to add more upper- and lower-body strength before he's ready. He's a big, reliable target in the red zone and underneath against zone, but needs a longer runway to create separation in his routes. Sprinkle isn't great in any one area, but he's good in most and should be a safe pick and quality starter in the league.

Round 6 pick # Marquez White CB 6'0 194 lbs

Just cb depth finesse cornerback with limited ball skills and production as two-year starter. Coverage stats from junior season garnered attention, but his 2016 tape was average, with marginal instincts and coverage inconsistencies from press. Length is a plus and he does have talent, but he needs technique work to iron out some issues.

Round 7 pick # Justin Senior OT 6´5 331 lbs

project pick has long arms and strong hands, but his lack of bend and inconsistent footwork could cripple his NFL cause if he doesn't improve them. Senior is a right tackle only who has three years of experience against talented, SEC defensive ends but he struggled badly at times in the Senior Bowl. His size could get him drafted, but he has some work to do before ever hitting an NFL field.

Feel free to give your input negative or positive and what you would do difrent .

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Excellent job, Ruben.

Even though taking Hooker won't make those happy who want an offensive player taken in the first round, at least 101GangGreen101 and I would be happy with this pick (and others whom I can't remember). He has some work to do, and isn't a very safe pick, but if he develops as expected, he could be a perennial All Pro and nail shut the back end of our secondary/defense for the next decade.

Even for those who wouldn't be happy taking a defensive player in the first round, you should make them happy in taking a RB, C and TE in the first five picks.

I love Kamara's speed and talent. My only question with him is if he can be a workhorse-type RB and carry the ball 20 times a game since he's never done it. I like that he hasn't had a ton of carries in college, so his legs should be fresh and should help extend his NFL career.

I like the Beckwith and Sprinkle picks pretty well.

My only quibbles with your draft is that I think waiting until the 6th round to take a CB is too late. I think that we almost have to come out of this draft with a CB who can play immediately. I don't know much about White, but based on your comments alone, he doesn't sound like he may ever be able to help the Jets on the field.

Other than what you posted, I don't know anything about your OT prospect Justin Senior. For whom did he play in the SEC? That certainly helps his resume. His footwork could possibly be fixed, but I don't know if his lack of bend could be fixed. I know that is a problem with a lot of OL and it causes them to drop in the draft, but I don't know how many, if any, ever overcome that. Some of the posters who know a lot more about OL play than I do could probably answer that.

3. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

There are a few guys I wouldn't mind @6...Hooker is one of them.

While a dynamic skill position player on O would be preferrable , there's no denying we have a huge need at the position.

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Trying to be objective, I think this would be a pretty good draft, but I really think taking Adams or Hooker at 6 is a mistake for THIS team, at this stage of its rebuilding. While they'll both probably make an impact for whoever they play for, the Jets can get - and need - payers who can make an even bigger impact. Setting aside QB, the next two biggest areas of need are helping the offense, so adding an elite RB or TE would make much bigger impact than adding an elite pass defender. Or, adding an elite pass rusher, who would also improve the pass protection by giving the QB less time to pick them apart. I also think there are a couple of Safeties who are maybe as good, and even possibly better when factoring in things like injury history, experience - Obi and Budda.

I agree with NC's point about waiting that long to grab a CB. Even as deep as this draft is in them, they need somebody who has a high probability of making an impact and the 6th round is project and question mark territory.

The only other question I have is: Where's my QB?:)

5. RubenDias

I understand that CB is a true need but we got so many holes its very hard to plug them all with just one draft as for Justin Senior OT missisipi state he is a raw strong guy with good measurables but for a 7th round pick hard to expect much more then that .

6. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Not hard, its impossible to plug all the holes the Jets have in one draft, even trading back. I think that's a pretty good effort Ruben and don't think I would complain at all.

7. RubenDias

I want to see what Hackenberg can do and only if he is really awfull we will be in position to draft a good QB next season.

Pags2112 and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Solid Mock! Obviously, love the first round pick because of what he does for the defense. FS with ball hawk ability and great athleticism come around every so often. Helps Pryor hopefully return to his sophomore yr form.

Jeremy Sprinkle might be a sleeper in this draft of great TE prospects. Alvin Kamara has talent, but I think he's a 3rd down back at the next level. He's like a James White from the Patriots. I think you could really upgrade the offensive line, CB, or EDGE in the 2nd, then go back to RB in the 3rd, but regardless this is a solid mock that will help the Jets going forward.

9. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

I love it. Sprinkle is a dumbass though.

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

As I said, I really like your draft. I said that my only "quibbles" (minor disagreements) were with your 6th and 7th round picks, and they were only minor disagreement. I wasn't criticizing your draft. I would be very happy with it and I think it is one of the better mock drafts I've seen for the Jets. I just think it would be better with a CB taken higher.

One way to resolve the CB issue would be to not take Pocic and take a CB there. Then you would have to decide which was more important or could help the team more, adding a C, a TE or an ILB in the draft. Depending upon that answer, one could either leave the rest of your draft as is, replace Beckwith with a TE and replace Sprinkle with Jon Toth and take an ILB lower, or one could simply take a C in the 6th round. Toth may last until the 6th round anyway according to CBS Sports, or one could take Cameron Tom of Southern Mississippi.

Also, I think you posted your mock draft before the Jets signed Jonotthan Harrison, OL from the Colts. If so, would that change your draft?

I agree that we won't be able to fill all our holes in this draft, but with this being quite likely a historically great draft, it would not be the best use of draft picks imo to not take one of those CBs fairly high. This is even more true when you consider Claiborne's injury history, the fact that he is only signed for one year, and how much Bowles' D relies on having a shut down corner. Finally, imo one of the more important guiding principles for drafts is that one should draft to the strength of the draft and wait until another draft to address positions that are weak and/or have little depth in that draft. For example, this is a great draft for CBs, hence the Jets should draft a CB higher. It's also a very good draft for TEs and the Jets have a great need, so we should take a TE. It's also a great draft for RBs, and the Jets need a RB, so you took one. It's not a great draft for OL, yet the Jets have great needs at OT and C. You took one of each. It's understandable, given the Jets needs, I just think it would be better to take a CB higher and then draft some different players/positions after that.

Pags2112 and RubenDias like this.
  11. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Round 3 pick # 6 Ethan Pocic C 6'6 310 lbs: interesting to note how this guy's dropped like a stone from his early season #1 center rating (was a projected late 1st rounder).