Rosen and Darnold declared for Draft. How does this impact Jets' offseason and draft plans?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

You said "he won't swallow what Bowles says". What has Bowles ever said that warrants a player not listening to him? By all accounts every player likes him.

And it's Morton's system. That's the system Mayfield needs to concern himself with, or Rosen for that matter. Bates and Morton will be handling the guy, whoever it is.
    Mayfield's in no position to walk on to any team and start calling the shots.

I agree that Rosen is prolly the most ready to play in the NFL at this time and seems to be the closest to a prototype guy. That's why I think he would be a good pick. That's the reason I like him. It has very little to do with Bowles, or even Morton unless we glean that Morton covets a guy to work with in his system.

But that doesn't mean a lot right now. Let's see what happens thru the process. There's a lot more to learn about these guys

2. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Tanny giving out contracts like candy and poor drafts caught up to us so we had to retool. During this transition, the thought process was that Sanchez would take the next step; he didn't for various reasons that have been discussed ad nauseam. So allowing the talent to dissipate was criminal but there were bigger crimes committed in the Sanchez story. To name a few:

-keeping Schottenheimer in 09
    -hiring Sparano
    -acquiring Tebow
    -hiring Idzik
    -Inserting Sanchez in the 4th quarter of the Snoopy Bowl
    -Cutting Sanchez without having anyone better on the roster

The only types of QBs that can put a team on their back and carry them are the handful of elite ones. And even they can't "carry" a team all the way to a Super Bowl win. Without a supporting cast the best they can do is keep you competitive. It's the best "teams" that win the Super Bowls most years not necessarily the best QB. If having a QB being able to carry a team was the requirement to winning championships Stafford and Rivers would have rings and Rodgers and Brees would have multiple ones. It's great to have but there are different ways to win.

Red Menace and ColoradoContrails like this.
  3. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Damn.

Just want to quote this masterful post.

Edit: damn.

legler82 likes this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well said!

5. ColoradoContrails

Well I tried to clarify. Again, I'm not saying he'd necessarily be openly defiant, but I think he will speak out - as will Rosen - if Bowles and the CS don't set him, and the team, up to succeed. "By all accounts". the Jets all sing kumbaya together - but maybe a little dissension around not handling time outs and in game adjustments might be on order.

Maybe things have really changed, but I thought the HEAD Coach was in charge of everything, including what type of offense is put in place. Maybe he won't be expert on the the details, but he ought to know the architecture at least, and whether it fits the players he has. If Bowles is abdicating that - as Rex did - then it won't matter who we get as QB.

I agree with you about Rosen, but of course he could be a match in a dynamite factory. I happen to think his independent streak is what's needed here, and I think Mayfield has that same independent attitude, although he also seems more a team player, so in the end, he might wind up being the best choice. Like you said, we're along way away from being done with the process.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Bowles has gotten good production out of the vet QB's he's been given. The question is whether he's been given a quality young QB to work with yet and the survey of Geno Smith, Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg is skewing heavily to the no end of the spectrum.

The question is whether Bowles could have successfully developed a Matt Ryan, Ben Roethlisberger or Philip Rivers and he obviously has not had a QB prospect with those kind of credentials yet. Now he will.

7. Br4d

The Colts have a ton of cap space. They could go either way at the moment, with a rebuild or a push for a ring. Their opinion of Luck's durability will probably be the key element here.

It's quite possible that the best player in the draft will be there on the 3 for them. There will be a lot of options in play.

8. Br4d

Everybody in that potential FA list is a trap of one sort or another and likely a pricey one at that.

9. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Been thinking about this all day.

Here’s the catch 22 with the Jets in this draft.

I think with John Morton as OC, Mayfield may be the best fit. However, in the long run I’m not sure Mayfield is a transcendental player that can succeed in the various offenses different OCs bring in.

So the catch 22 is...are you drafting the guy for your current system or are you drafting the player who you believe can succeed in any system (extremely rare)?

10. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

If Mayfield got drafted and proved himself worthy of franchise QB status, the team would hire new coordinators based on his skillset. If he doesn't prove himself, it won't matter.

donkey and Leicester Jet like this.
  11. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Someone on this board already compared Rosen to Leaf ... everyone’s is garbage don’t ya know

12. legler82

Despite what Forte may want people to believe Morton's offense is closer to former bosses Gruden and Harbaugh's than it is Payton's. Morton runs a more traditional WCO than the somewhat unique version NO runs. Payton's offense is truly a "jambalaya", pun intended, of various schemes and concepts, based out of the WCO. This is why I think NO is probably Mayfield's best landing spot as there's a lot Spread principles in what NO and he gets to learn behind Brees. The pool of OCs that run the more traditional WCO is a lot bigger than what Sean Payton runs. So it should make it easier to find a replacement Morton if we had too, at least from a schematic standpoint. Darnold and Allen are probably the best fits at 6 for our current O.

GQMartin likes this.
  13. legler82

I was watching NFL GameDay this morning and they said the Rams included Goff in the HC search, despite coming off that miserable season. The Bears are doing that this year with Trubisky. That's what committing to, building around and developing your high pick QB looks like folks. Imagine, if prior to the 2012 season, we included Sanchez in the search for an OC. You think he would suggest Sparano or sign off on Tebow?

#133 legler82, Jan 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  14. ColoradoContrails

Again, great post. And this is part of what I was trying to point out in my post and clarification to Walt White. I think Rosen and Mayfield are outspoken and self-confident enough to give their input and opinion on what system to use, rather than passively accept whatever the CS tries to impose. Bowles and his CS haven't proven that they know how to create and implement a successful offense, and thus should be open to criticism until proven otherwise. Of course this may well be what keeps the Jets from drafting either of these guys.

15. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Yeah and they said McVay had a working knowledge of every single one of Goff’s snaps for the interview.