Rosen and Darnold declared for Draft. How does this impact Jets' offseason and draft plans?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Jan 3, 2018.

1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Sanchez but up similar numbers as Eli in his first 4 years and "contributed" in 4 playoff road wins and we ran him out of town. That's just not the nature of Jets fans. Plus drafting the guy is just part of it. You also have to have the right offensive staff with a scheme FITS his skill set, allow him time to MASTER said scheme, continue to surround him with talent...etc...etc. The problem with this stupid franchise is that they think the work is done once they hand the draft card over to the commissioner.

ColoradoContrails and Attackett like this.
  2. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

I agree with a lot of what you wrote, but when we "ran him out of town," he had amassed 62 career starts and was coming off an abysmal 2012 season in which he was clearly a bottom 2 or 3 starting quarterback in the league. He had plenty of chances here.

Also, it's hard to find a scheme that fits the skill set of a guy who is inaccurate and consistently makes bad decisions.

almbleamal, NCJetsfan and Walt White like this.
  3. legler82

I've pointed out the following countless times on this board. Sanchez played in the WCO offense in high school. He was good enough in that system to be a 5 star recruit pursued by every major college football powerhouse in the nation. He ran the WCO in college; he ran that well enough to garner a consensus 1st round grade. I'm no genius but if you are going to make the investment to trade up for a WCO QB why not get an offensive staff that runs the WCO? Just a silly thought! Instead, he runs the best he can Shittyheimer's complicated Air Coryell numbers based system then Sparano's "I'm Just Here So I Won't Get Fined" offense. By the time we get around to hiring a WCO OC, he like you said was coming off that terrible 2012 season. Despite having a solid pre-season in the only offense that he was ever universally considered good when running, he was a dead an walking. The organization and fanbase, especially, had already given up on him; that butt fumble was hard to shake for some folks. The fact that he got hurt in that meaningless preseason game was just just diarrhea icing on the sh*t cake that was his development as the Jets FQB. Fun fact you can look up, Ben Roethlisberger has a similar "abysmal" season in his 3rd year I believe without he benefit of Sparano, Tebow, Stephen Hill, Clyde Gates and the crew.

Accuracy and bad decisions are overrated. Many an inaccurate QB have found success in this league. You can curb a QBs natural inaccuracy through scheme. Michael Vick's, a career 53% CMP guy, suddenly jumped to 60% under Andy Reid. We just had one of the best displays of accuracy by a QB in Jets history and won only 5 games. With regards to bad decisions, Brett Favre carved out a HOF career on the shoulders of bad decisions. Problem with current Jets fans is that we want to solidify the position but it has to be in certain way. The QB has to be top [insert desired benchmark] throw for [insert desired benchmark] a year have less than [insert desired benchmark]...etc...etc. This I believe a nasty byproduct of being under the foot of NE for so long. We stare up at their grass and wonder why ours can't be as green? My requirements for a QB is simple; can we win with this guy and can he make enough plays to contribute to winning? Sanchez satisfied those requirements at the sacrifice of his own development.

We have to realize that when we do find the guy he may not look or play like what we expect or like everyone else. I live in Charlotte. Cam Newton is not your typical FQB, sub 60 CMP%, runs the ball, flamboyant...etc...etc., but the Panthers have done everything to build around him. In doing so they have developed their own identity and are winning with it.

4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yup!

slimjasi likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Spot on!

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Gotta get through the Combine and the Pro Days at this point before we know what the likely pecking order is. Teddy Bridgewater was still a possible #1 pick going into the Combine and only a top 10 guy coming out of it. And then he fell after a poor Pro Day.

I'm guessing we're going to see two of the top prospects come out of the Combine looking like potential 1-2 picks and that those guys are going to be Rosen and Darnold. I think Josh Allen could also be projected near the top because he has the size and the arm that teams covet.

I think by the time we get to the draft we'll have 2 QB's go in the top 5 and Rosen and Darnold will not both make that cut after all the analysis and groupthink that the QB competition always produces. I'm guessing the Browns will take one of Allen and Darnold and the Giants will take one of Darnold and Rosen. All the Browns have to do is take Allen and either Rosen or Darnold could slip down to the 6 pretty easily.

I don't think there will be a lot of movement upwards for a QB. I think the Browns will hold on to the 4 pick and take whoever drops of Barkley and the best defensive player in the draft. I think the Broncos are going to be a player in the Cousins sweepstakes and they'll take an offensive lineman, maybe Orlando Brown on the 5. I think the Colts are the wild card in all of this. I doubt that they'll take a QB on the 3 but they may prefer to draft a bit further down given their needs on the OL, LB and pass rush. They may also just take Chubb on the 3 to try to solve the edge problem.

If I'm holding the 6 I probably wait it out and take whoever drops of Rosen, Darnold and Allen. That's the value play in terms of constructing a roster built to win over the long-term. If all 3 of them go ahead of the 6 then there will be other QB's available in the late 1st/early 2nd. There is also likely to be an OT or RB who projects as a star sitting there on the 6. If it's Chubb or Fitzpatrick that drops, well the Jets will get some real value for that pick if they trade it down a bit. Having an edge and a CB both rated as premium players at your pick is likely to stir up some real interest in the pick.

The Jets could take Brown or Barkley on the 6 and then trade back up into the end of the 1st to get the 4th or 5th QB in the draft. Dan Marino was #6 on the hit list in '83 after a dog fight at the top of the draft for Elway.

#106 Br4d, Jan 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    Walt White likes this.
  7. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Barkley at 6 and Lamar Jackson late in the 1st would be exciting as hell.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

8. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Zactly. The whole thing is just starting and there's so much more to glean which makes it kinda fun.

Gotta see where Mayfield, Jackson, Rudolph and the rest slot in too. That's not really defined at all.

Good point about trading up into the later 1st round after the 6th pick.

9. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

You know what? This is all fair. I don't agree with everything you wrote, but you make a lot of interesting and insightful points. Let's just hope that we eventually develop one of these guys the right way. It would be so fun to have a promising young quarterback leading us into the future.

10. legler82

In lifetime of being a fan of this team we've only drafted 2 QBs in the first round, Chad and Sanchez; Kenny O was drafted before I started watching football. Truth be told Chad was really an after thought of a pick. He was just an insurance policy for Vinny we could afford because we had 4 1st round picks. Sanchez was probably the only real "attempt" at getting that franchise guy. I hope we take lessons from that failed experiment and don't repeat the same mistakes.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

It's not exciting, it's FAPTASTIC!

xxedge72x likes this.
  12. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Outstanding post.
    If we don't get the QB at 6, the only other position I would draft at 6 is OT - but I agree you will get a lot of value and interest if Chubb or Fitz is there to trade down.

I am in the minority here, but everyone keeps discounting the Colts taking a QB and I still think if whoever they have rated as the guy is the one still available at 3, they could pull the trigger.

Br4d likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. There's no way the Colts will take a QB unless they've gone totally insane.

If they were to take a QB he would either waste the first 2-3 years of his career sitting on the bench, or they'd be paying Luck a fortune to sit on the bench. In 2018, if the Colts were to cut Luck, they'd save $2.2 million on the cap, but take a $22.2 million dead money hit. In 2019 it gets better. They'd save $14.725 million on the cap, but still take a hefty $12.8 million dead money hit on the cap. In 2020, hey'd save $22 million on the cap and only take a $6.4 million dead money charge. Thus, I think they will either take Barkley, a stud Pass Rusher, the top OL or will trade down, get a bunch of picks, and be able to fill a lot of holes and greatly improve their team.

14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Gotcha.

15. ColoradoContrails

You nailed it! Sanchez would've been more than good enough - proven by what he did when he had the talent to support him. But Rex being clueless about offense, and even more so, being so full of his belief that his defense was all that was needed, that he allowed that talent to go unreplaced (yes, I know technically it was Tanny and Idzik who were in charge of acquiring/retaining players, but Ryan had a big say in that you can bet).

Of course we desperately need a FQB, but if we don't do as you point out and put a scheme that maximizes his talent, and surround him with the proper coaches and players, we might as well draft another fucking Safety or DL.

16. ColoradoContrails

He was never good enough to carry a team on his back, but allowing the talent to drain away and not replace it, and fucking with his head by signing Tebow sure didn't help things.

17. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

It’s probably the best case scenario for tge Jets that they declared in a year where the QB free agent market will be incredibly deep as well.

First round talent QBs

Rosen
    Darnold
    Allen
    Mayfield
    Jackson
    Rudolf

Potential FA

Brees
    Cousins
    A. Smith
    Bridgwater
    Kenum
    Bradford
    Cutler
    Taylor

18. ColoradoContrails

Good analysis, and if the Jets had a CS in place that had the ability to design a system for whoever they get, and to develop him, and build the team around him, I would be all for waiting to see who drops to 6 because it wouldn't matter that much (assuming Rosen is gone by then). But the Jets have the OPPOSITE CS and structure for this approach. They need to get a QB that is "Bowles-proof", and that means either a FA like Cousins, or Rosen, or maybe Mayfield (because of his moxie and ego I think he won't just swallow what Bowles says). That said, Mayfield may fall to 6, but if Macc thinks he (or any of the other guys) can be a FQB, he ought to trade up an leave nothing to chance).

19. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

What would Bowles say that Mayfield would defy the HC, like that would be a good thing for a player to do? I don't see that kind of behavior coming from Mayfield at any time anyway. That's not what he's about and I doubt he would dream of behaving like that. Wilkerson on the other hand maybe, but he won't be here anymore. He fucks his coaches, teammates and fans by breaking team structure and not respecting the team hierarchy.
    On top of that the QB's deal with Morton and Bates anyway.

20. ColoradoContrails

I wasn't clear. I don't think Mayfield would be openly defiant, but I don't think he would be silent if they were trying to force him into a system that he wasn't comfortable with. That said - and again due to his massive self-confidence - he probably doesn't think there's a system he CAN't do great in, which will also be a plus. In short, I think, aside from Rosen, he has the balls to play in NY.

But I also still like Stidham who might well be available with their 2nd pick, and if Barkley could be had, that would be a massive upgrade.