Rosen and Darnold declared for Draft. How does this impact Jets' offseason and draft plans?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Jan 3, 2018.

1. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

If Barkley is gone, yes.

2. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

I don't think it's fair to compare Sanchez to D'arnold. The way I remember Sanchez in college - all of his successes came from a clean pocket. It felt like he wasn't pressured at all in college.

D'arnold on the other hand has faced pressure and had some success against it. He isn't perfect but it's a lazy comparison that reeks of "same'old jets" to say that he's the next Sanchez.

I doubt we get him - but if we do - we should consider ourselves lucky.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

101GangGreen101 and Walt White like this.
  3. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

For different reasons. But, the rumbling about Marino unquestionably dropped him in the pecking order. And that's my point. That's how it works, most of the time unless you're the Browns. Not a knock on Rosen ;)

An alcoholic Joe would prolly fall in this day and age too anyway.

4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

He's going to win the Jets 4 playoff games in his first 2 seasons? I'll take the next Sanchez, thanks!

NYJetsO12 and Imagesrdecieving like this.
  5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

The situations are no where near the same. Darnold, you were able to see him go through some adversity, which to me is something you want to see in a QB, last season he was everyone's darling coming off that bowl game, had a few stinkers this year, but picked his game back up and got his team to a bowl game. The OSU game he was severely outmatched. Sanchez bolted for the NFL right away, so you didn't get to see him come back for that extra year. If Darnold is available, you have to take him. However, I would still resign McCown and I wouldn't throw Darnold out there right away. Needs to work on his reads and timing of the offense. Cause we all saw that pick 6 in the bowl game, that can't happen at the next level.

6. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

McCown could be 45 years old and would still start if Bowles has the final say though. I want no part in a veteran QB on this team because a rookie will never see the light of day barring injury with this staff. Not to mention they can’t develop a Qb as well.

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Got no choice, can't throw Darnold out there

8. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

true, my bad...these years are flying fast, lol . If they unload Lynch I can see them drafting someone

nevbeats319 likes this.
  9. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

You make a very good point, FA will play a major role in how the draft will go, say the Jets get a FA QB like Keenum, that would
    give Mac a ton of flexibility to either draft a FQB in waiting, BPA, or trade back....IMO Rosen is only QB that is worth the cost of
    moving up, No Mayfield or Jackson!!

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The Mayfield-Manziel comparison is just flat out nuts imo. For the life of me, I can't figure out why anyone would make that comparison. Mayfield had one off-field incident one. Manziel is a head case and a drunk. Mayfield's a fiery competitor and that led to a couple of minor incidents that were controversial, but his character is very good. Their style of play isn't even remotely comparable imo.

11. NCJetsfan

Sanchez didn't win the Jets 4 playoff games in his first two season. The team carried him in the playoffs.

12. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

Sanchez played very well in the playoffs and was a big part of the wins

13. The Dark Knight

Cool story. Incorrect, but cool. Sanchez debates are over, but he did better than many Jets fans give him credit for. Including helping the team win 4 playoff games his first 2 seasons. He led the Colts 17-6 in his first AFC title game (including an 80 yard touchdown pass) , and was down 24-0 in his second, led the team back to 24-19 but the defense couldn't get a stop. But he was to blame right? Some fans are clueless. Especially saying stuff like you just did. If someone said Sanchez carried the Jets, that would be just as crazy as saying he was carried in the playoffs. He played his part though and they wouldn't have won otherwise.

legler82, Aero and Attackett like this.
  14. NCJetsfan

Saying that he won 4 playoff games for the Jets is saying the same thing as that he carried the team, and that just isn't true, regardless of what you say.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  15. The Dark Knight

Oh I gotcha. Took my wording that way. Your response makes sense now. I was joking, since someone compared Darnold to him.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

OK, cool. I wasn't saying that he was awful. He did play much better than could have been expected that first season and even in the playoffs, but he still was just ok or a little better than ok in the games.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  17. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

We won despite of Sanchez.

The win against the Colts was arguably the worst played game by a winning QB ever. Sanchez was so bad in the 2nd half they had to take the ball out of his hands and run exclusively. The only game he played decent was against the Pats and that was mainly from superhuman performances by Edwards, Holmes and LT catching poorly thrown passes.

The formula for winning in the playoffs with Sanchez was never let Sanchez throw the ball where he might face pressure. Pretty much only let him throw on 1st down with play action as if there was any rush he was more likely to fumble, fall down or run into someone than do anything positive.

18. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

You would be happy if the Jets drafted the next Mark Sanchez this year? Really?

In other words, you'd be happy if, eight years from now, our selection from this year had 86 TDs, 86 INTs, a 56.7% career completion percentage (yikes), averaged a whopping 6.7 yards per pass attempt (yikes), and was ultimately relegated to a career backup role in the NFL after four full years with the Jets (yikes), all because he "won" 4 playoff games in his first two years (but, non afterwards)?

Hmmm . . . I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you are clowning around.

19. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Me personally, the one thing I want more than anything is for whoever we draft to be our starter for the next decade. I want him to be good enough to do that. He doesn't have to be an MVP candidate. He doesn't have to be all-pro. He doesn't have to lead the league in any given statistic. But, I dream of knowing what it's like to have a competent, above average quarterback for a decade. I think that's fair. Every franchise should be able to luck into a guy like that eventually.

He doesn't have to be Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. But, can he be Phil Simms? Can he be Eli Manning? Can he be Phillip Rivers? Can he be Chad Pennington without the injuries? I really don't think it is asking too much for this stupid franchise to eventually draft a guy of that caliber.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Saying that he won 4 playoff games for the Jets is just facts. The history books don't care about who carried what just ungrateful and petty Jets fans. Joe Namath didn't have great game in the Super Bowl; should there be an asterisk next to his win that says he got carried by the defense? GTFOH All history tells us is that he won, was the MVP and he guaranteed the victory. Again facts!

This attitude is why whoever we draft is destined to fail because we are mostly a collection of unappreciative A-holes always looking at other people's grass. Sanchez has enough bad and terrible moments in his time here and in the NFL. We don't need to also take credit away from some of the good he did just for the sake of piling on. The whole Sanchez and/or Rex didn't really win those playoff games narrative is tired. They and the rest of the players and coaches won those f*cking games, not you, not me, not f*cking Manigini on his couch..etc...etc.

As you guy were with the Sanchez sucks...blah, blah, blah; I'm done with my rant.

#100 legler82, Jan 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    ColoradoContrails and Attackett like this.