Rodrique Wright in the 3-4

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by 1028, Feb 15, 2006.

1. 1028

1028 Active Member

First post in the NCAA forum!!!

What do you guys think about taking Rod Wright in the 3rd round and putting him at DE? People say DRob cant play NT but take a look around the league...Vince Wilfork, Pats, 6'2, 320, Casey Hampton, Steelers, 6'1, 320. DRob: 6'1, 320. IMO he could handle the nose. Our bigger concern is at DE. I propose Rod Wright. He seems like the kind of player that could easily make the switch. His stock has dropped too, so IMO we could get him in the early 3rd. Hes got the size and seems to fit the bill of a poor man's Ty Warren, what are everyone's thoughts?

2. Wolfe Tone

Wolfe Tone New Member

Dewayne is a limited player because he only plays the 3 technique well enough to have used a high round pick on him. If you put him over to any other line position he is average at best, Even though he is a big guy he still does not playu the nose well. I would like to agree and that would on paper seem to be a great D-Line but just wouldnt cut it, If anything he could play DE

3. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

Is he really 320? Hard to believe.

4. vilmaisabeast

vilmaisabeast New Member

Why should we take Rod wright in the third round when we have other needs to address?
    We can sign Grady Jackson and get OL with the 3rd rounder
    Robertson can play DE in the 3-4

5. 1028

1028 Active Member

We're switching to a 3-4 and are missing a piece to the line? How is that NOT a need?

Grady Jackson = old, fat, lazy. And hell cost too much. I dont wanna build thru free agency either, we need to build thru the draft

6. vilmaisabeast

vilmaisabeast New Member

we need help with the offense, Grady is a guy who will perfect for the 3-4 at NT because he is 340 pounds and will plug up the middle. We could use the pick for offensive line help after we cut fabini and kendell

7. sanchizeqb

sanchizeqb Active Member

One of the biggest problems with Dewayne Robertson is his hunger. I don't doubt that he has the size nor that he can't beef up, but the pounding that a NT gets is tough and D-Rob is used to playing the 3 technique. I just don't think that he fits the bill.

I don't think getting a NT for the 3-4 is as hard as some of the others are making it out to be. We'll see, though.. won't we?

8. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

If we're going to grab a 34 DE, I hope they try and find a guy who's better suited to play the position, or at least one they feel very strongly about moving there, especially on the first day. Wright may have what it takes to make a move there, but after the way he played as a Senior I'm not sure he has it in him to learn a new poisition.

9. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

I'm willing to give BT one more chance, he was a first round pick and never has really gotten much of a chance behind Abe/Ellis. He's shown flashes of being a very good player at times, sometimes he's shown flashes of being not such a good player.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The problem with Robertson is that he really doesn't have the energy to go one hundred percent on every given player. I like many others don't doubt his ability, but he can't do it every down like a Jamal Williams or a Casey Hampton can. That's not his fault, he's just very short and compact (good for a nose tackle, low center of gravity) with the skill to play, but he just doesn't have the motor to do it.

And Bryan Thomas can't play as a down lineman in a 3-4 PPP10.