Robert Griffin III is scheduled to visit the Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The 1985er, Mar 11, 2016.

1. JDeacon

JDeacon Well-Known Member

RGIII was fantastic his rookie year because he was excellent in making running reads and would punish your defense if you didn't spy him. Im pretty sure it was Ngata or Suggs that killed his knee the first time and he has never had the same quickness again.

Falco21 likes this.
  2. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

But it also makes you wonder how much of the system and the players around him impacted that.

3. ChrebetCrunch

ChrebetCrunch Well-Known Member

I'm all for it. Give him a low base and incentive laden contract. There is no question about his talent. It's a question of his durability and keeping his head on straight.

almbleamal likes this.
  4. JDeacon

That is a good point, I have hard time believing any "competent" qb would not be just as successful as Fitz was last year, maybe more now with our variety in the backfield. If we can get Rg3 cheap and for a year or two I say go for it, we may get lucky and catch lightening in a bottle.

5. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

Another thing to note is the Petty/RG3 Baylor connection.

6. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Exactly. Fitz doesn't just magically wake up and have a good year with all the years he's had in this league. He thrived because of Gaileys system and guys like Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker.

You give RGIII those weapons and now pair it with a much more reliable back in Matt Forte, he may do very well.

Talent can't be taught. RGIII has all the talent in the world. Maybe he was caught in a bad system with bad people around him in Washington

7. Ghost50

Ghost50 Well-Known Member

bring us Kaep

8. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

RG3 and Kaep are gimmick players who can't read a defense and have no futures in this league. As of now Fitz is better than both.

Sign Fitz, draft a QB for the future. No more gimmick running QB's

NYJetsO12 and SackExchange69 like this.
  9. forevercursed

He also had a 1600 yard rusher taking the heat off of him

RG3 is flat out not that good. His "fantastic" rookie year saw him throw for 3200 yards which is no biggie

10. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Fitz's success stemmed mostly from his complete mastery of the system he was in charge of running. While RGIII has more talent in his pinky toe than Fitz, he will not possess Fitz's knowledge and understanding of Gailey's offense.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  11. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

smoke screening if u asking me.. trying to make Fitz jump.

NYJetsO12 and Quinnenthebeast like this.
  12. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

It was his ego that done him in in DC. His OL or WR's didn't like him. He only stayed the starter as long as he did because of the owner stepping in.

13. forevercursed

Fitz is a Harvard guy. Sure he doesn't have the most elite physical tools but I'd still take him over a guy who cannot read a defense at all like RG3. Plus I'm still not sure RG3 will last the year. Plus the attitude issues

I want a QB who is on the same page as his receivers, is a good teammate, humble, intelligent, and a leader. RG3 is none of those things.

NYJetsO12 and waterboy526 like this.
  14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I'd have no problems with this if they decide fitz isn't worth waiting for. The guy has talent and gailey is the qb whisperer.

june19 likes this.
  15. BamaZeus

BamaZeus Member

I'd be fine with 1 year of RG3 to see what we have. He'll likely sign for less than Fitz given the openings right now. See if his knees have anything left and it gives us one more year to develop Petty before Geno's contract runs out as well.

june19 likes this.
  16. JDeacon

Does fitz read defenses that great? Go back and watch the film and see how many times marshall and decker bailed him out with errant throws into double and triple coverage. Half the games was fitz just throwing the ball up for marshall to make a play, lets not act like he was slicing and dicing d's all year long.

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Make it happen, Fitz or no Fitz. I'm still a believer in RGIII myself. The guy needs a new city, a fresh start and a new set of eyes evaluating his strengths and weaknesses. Questions from Washington about his attitude and work ethic are overblown. He's just a millennial type. They react to things differently and can seem aloof but he wants it just as much as anyone else. You dont go to shitty Baylor and make yourself a heisman winner without being driven. You don't play a playoff game on one leg without being driven.

A couple years ago LeBron said about Kobe "I'm not like him. I don't want to kill everybody."
    Kobe said "I don't know why anyone would admit that about themselves publicly"

RGIII = lebron type
    The league's old guard = kobe type.

but both types can succeed

18. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Thats not funny

slimjasi likes this.
  19. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Totally agree but he does know Gailey's system like the back of his hand which is a tremendous asset.

20. JDeacon

It is an advantage to fitz but Gailey has been able to tailor his offense to a variety of qb's who ultimately suck in other systems to a deal of success. I am sure he could do the same for Rg3 "if" the kid has his head on straight.