Robbie Anderson arrested in Fla... Again

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I tend to agree, I advocated for the Jets to cut Sheldon the second I heard about that high speed pursuit. Things like this just make me sick. I felt the same way when Goodson passed out drunk in the middle of the highway. People like that have no business being on this team. Anderson is a good talent, however. He would have hit 1000 yards easily if McCown didn't get injured, so I don't think that's a fair argument, but if he's not smart enough to pull over for a police officer, then he's not smart enough to come through in the clutch on a consistent basis or be a team leader.

Sheldon is in the same boat, although he was more physically talented than Anderson, but he continued to prove his stupidity year in and year out. Anderson might get a second chance because he can get help for his mental issues, but I feel there are certain lines you don't cross (DUI / violent crime / eluding police). If it were my call nobody with those character flaws and legal problems would ever return to the NFL, unless they earned it. I don't care how gifted an athlete they might be. In cases of mental health, they need to rehab and prove they are better before returning.

#281 Sam Hammer, Feb 12, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

1-877-Kars for (Jason) Kidds!

MurrellMartin likes this.
  3. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

The NFL has a complimentary car service for all players. I’m sure it’s leaps and bounds more aligned with the players’ financial status and they still don’t utilize the service.

4. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

You can't fix stupid. Somewhere these players were told "if" you use the NFL resources you'll be on the radar (party guy out late every night, hanging out with xxx of questionable background, hanging with 1/2 dressed girls on boats with too much booze, doing weed during season, etc.) so you're better off driving while drunk, driving 100+mph in a 55 zone with kids in the car etc. Teams need to inform the players better and they also need to have someone on call where only the team knows not the league.

5. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Although I would normally agree that players like these have no place on the jets, or in the league in general, Anderson is not going to be cut, at least not now. I fully expect the Jets to add at least 1-2 WR's in the offseason (1 in the draft/1 free agency). As such, the WR room is going to be very competitive and Anderson will need to hit the ground running in order to prove he's worth a roster spot as a huge off the field headache.

The NFL could generally care less if you're a degenerate off the field if your contract is cheap and your young and producing. But, eventually all those things lose their meaning and in Anderson continues on this self destructive path, he will be cut.

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I hear ya, and basically agree with your sentiment. I have mellowed on this issue somewhat because I do think that people deserve a 2nd chance. Also, would it really accomplish much for the Jets? Yes, it would clearly send the signal to the players that they'd better toe the line and be good citizens, or they wouldn't play for the Jets, but when plenty (all the rest?) of the teams in the NFL would be willing to give them a 2nd chance, does it really hurt the player or the team more? I think the point could be made that it would only serve to hurt the team, and as long as the Jets are lousy, would actually be doing the players a favor to let them go play for another team.

I wish the NFL as a whole would adopt a tough stance on this kind of thing, but know they won't because winning is more important than anything else to most owners and fans. I honestly think that some owners and fans would be quite happy with a team that had rapists, child molesters, and/or violent felons on it as long as the won the SB.

7. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

The problem is that, per press reports, this was not a one-time thing for Anderson. He supposedly has an abysmal driving record and has driven like a maniac in the past. If you have a player who likes to drive 105 mph in a 45 mph zone, the team has to be concerned with more than just the bad publicity from keeping a guy like that on the roster. That kind of driving gets people killed, either the maniac driver or some innocent bystander, and a dead player or one who is in jail for vehicular homicide won't be available on Sunday.

8. joe

joe Well-Known Member

"Here's nut in yer eye, kid."

[​IMG]

9. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Sorry I didn't see your post.
    The intersection is an underpass with 2 large dips in the road , it about 150 ft long with a concrete wall on the left and concrete barriers on the right side. The left turn to head east is extremely tight , the road actually heads NE as you turn so it's more than 90 degrees.
    It's just not possible to navigate at that speed. He was driving an SUV. He would have rolled at much lower speed.
    I did see the charge was reduced from a second degree felony ( Drives at high speed, or in any manner which demonstrates a wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property, commits a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in s.775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.) to a 3 rd class so that would indicate that there was insufficient evidence, or the evidence tells a different story.
    There should be dash cam footage as the officer was reportedly on a traffic stop when Anderson passed him, Plantation doesn't have many officers equipped with body cams yet. They have only recently began to aquire them.
    Honestly, I think he will loose his liscence for a year or two, get some probation and maybe court mandated classes.
    Hopefully he gets some help with his mental issues before it's too late and he ruins his life or someone else's life.