Rio Olympics

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Yisman, Jul 14, 2016.

1. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Au contraire mon frère
    Edit: It's just etiquette so don't really care and people that made a big deal of it are morons.

2. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Running from the country and leaving friends behind shows him a coward so I don't think he's got balls for a tweet like that.
    If however he tweets that, I'll give him some respect.

The Waterboy likes this.
  3. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

If it just me or Lochte looks like slightly less drugged Johhny 8ball?

FJF likes this.
  4. Kingfish

Kingfish Active Member

The topic of debate on ESPN's Mike & Mike this morning, was who is the 'Greatest All-Time Olympian".
    They made the case for Usain Bolt and Michael Phelps with mention of Carl Lewis.
    I say None Of The Above.

Bolt and Lewis only compete in sprints. They don't run the Hurdles or the 400M, 800M, !500M, 5K, 10K,etc.
    Lewis Long Jumped, but the Long Jump is practically another sprint because the long run-up creates forward momentum.
    Phelps only competes in swimming events.

Bolt, Lewis or Phelps don't compete in any strength or endurance events. They don't throw the Hammer.
    They don't throw the Javelin or the Discus. They don't Weightlift. They don't Pole Vault.They don't Wrestle.

IMO, the Decathlon champion has to be considered the overall best athlete.

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

That's a separate discussion though. The topic wasn't 'Greatest Athlete' it was 'Greatest Olympian'. What does it matter which events they participate in? At least bring up someone who also won a zillion gold medals in decathlon if someone even has. 1 or 2 gold medals doesn't compare to what Bolt, Phelps and Lewis have done - i dont care what events

6. Kingfish

Kingfish Active Member

There was an American named Alfred Oerter who won the Gold Medal in the Discus in four consecutive Olympics.
    If your criteria is most Gold Medals, then Michael Phelps in the greatest. That's not fair because swimming has so many events.

There have been 3 athletes who won back-to-back Decathlons. This years champion, Ashton Eaton is the most recent.
    If they awarded a Gold Medal to the winner in each of the ten Decathlon events, Eaton would have a ton of Gold.

Also, Simone Biles won a bunch of Gold in Gymastics and she'll be back in 2020.

7. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

If that is your criteria, than gymnasts are most certainly the Greatest Olympians. The floor exercise, the uneven bars, parallel bars, balance beam, pommel horse, the rings. Men and women in these events have much more practice to put in than any other event.

RexontheBeach likes this.
  8. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

4 golds and 2 silvers, over 2 years, is what Eaton would have if each was separate but you don't take into account the actual separate events he would not have even sniffed a medal.
    The people that specialize in those events would have smoked him.

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Yeah.

But Phelps sparks up fat doobies in the VIP at your local Road Lizard Lounge.

And then goes and wins 5 or 6 medals each Olympics.

Fucking dude is a legend to me.

RexontheBeach, FJF and JetsVilma28 like this.
  10. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

No, he needs to apologize because he's 32 years old and is supposed to be a man, not a high school kid running around breaking things and then lying to his mommy about it with lame, fabricated excuses.

mute likes this.
  11. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

My bad, there are a lot of rules for this and I misread the information somewhere.

Thanks

The Waterboy likes this.
  12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

That last statement is not true. Eaton won the decathlon but not only did he not win each event within the decathlon and he's not the best in the world at any of the events. He's not the best shot putter, the best long jumper,etc. So why would they ever give out gold medals for each thing? its nonsense. He ran a 4:23 1600 meters to clinch the thing, that pace wouldn't even reach the minimum qualification standard for the men's 1500 meters for example.

I get it, you like the decathlon event but your arguments are killin me. Its a nice event and Eaton's the best at that event presently but he's not the best at anything else. He's also far from the greatest olympian of all time. Which I would measure at being the best in the world at multiple events over many years. Aka. Carl Lewis. although Phelps I wouldn't argue against.

13. Kingfish

Kingfish Active Member

That's a good point, but I still maintain that the title "Greatest Olympian" should go to someone who competes
    in different disciplines.

I think that you can make a case for Jim Thorpe or another of the old-timers rather than Bolt or Phelps.

14. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Also, 2nd most decorated American Olympian. Smh

15. mute

mute Well-Known Member

Tyson Gay looked like he wanted to kill someone last night. Time and time again the USA screws up on that race.

16. NotSatoshiNakamoto

17. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Great win for the home team in soccer and a great national anthem - sounds like a party! I don't even want to know the words - it would probably spoil it all.

18. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Huff Post is full of morons.

Often goes by Huff Post rather than Huffington because the people on the site like to huff paint fumes as they post.

The Waterboy likes this.
  19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Even Al Roker got mad about it lol ... observe as he continues to stir his drink

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-hero-america-needed-in-the-ryan-lochte-mess/

20. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Aussie men's basketball team somehow managed not to medal. Routed by Serbia and lost in the final seconds to Spain.

US
    Serbia
    Spain