Rex Ryan on 2018 Draft Class-Prefers Allen

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, Mar 30, 2018.

1. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/03/30/2018-draft-josh-allen-sam-darnold-tyrod-taylor-browns-bills

Ryan: I don’t know [the prospects] as well as their scouts, but I love Josh Allen. He’s got a huge arm. I like the makeup of the young man. Sam Darnold, obviously, would be another one. Those are the two top guys in my opinion. I’m really high on Josh Allen. He reminds me of Ben Roethlisberger. He’s got the big arm. He’s a very good athlete. He’s got some movement skills. And I think he’s got the makeup of what you’re looking for in a quarterback.

boozer32 and matt robinson 17 like this.
  2. SecretConnection

SecretConnection Active Member

Rex reading my posts again, as he used to do when I posted during his era.

Jets69 likes this.
  3. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Since I am a noob when it comes to college QB’s I can’t criticize Rex at all but what the heck is this Allen love from football people. Phil Simms also in love with Allen, Mel Kiper in love with Allen some other ex athletes high on Allen.

Are the people collectively pulling a stunt? Dear Jets. Please be careful and stay away from Allen and go with one of Mayfield, Rosen or Darnold.

NYJalltheway, boozer32, K'OB and 4 others like this.
  4. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

It’s a battle between the “football people” and the anlalytics nerds who hate Allen.

I personally think he’s a similar prospect to Mahomes and I loved Mahomes coming out.

blackssmagic and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  5. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Haha well they should probably do the opposite of whatever Rex says about QBs

6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Score one for the Allen haters

7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

And this is how you know the absolute right answer at 3 is mayfield should Rosen and Darnold be gone.

8. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Rex likes Allen? Immediate red flag, don't draft him! Rex LOVED Sanchez and Geno as well.

9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

fucking kiss of death

10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The key difference between Mahomes and Allen is that Mahomes can actually complete passes.

11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Of course Rex loves Allen! I wonder if he'll get a tattoo of him?

12. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Haha that is the same Rex who made the Jets draft Sanchez against the advice of the Jets scouting department. But if I am going to criticize him, I should give him credit for taking a chance on Tyrod Taylor in Buffalo.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  13. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I won't dismiss Allen because Rex likes him, but I certainly don't take Rex's opinions on QB's seriously.

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The biggest problem I have with Allen is that a strong arm doesn't buy you anything on an NFL field if you can't make the right decisions and the right throws. So far there isn't a lot to indicate that Allen understands what to do with the football in any given situation.

If the Jets had not just failed with a strong-armed guy with accuracy issues I'd be a bit more predisposed to looking at Allen, but even then based on what he did in college he should be a 3rd round pick, not getting picked up in the top 4.

Hack got picked in the 2nd round when he was really a 6th round pick. Allen is going to get taken in the 1st when he is really more like a 3rd round pick. I hope the Jets aren't the team that decides they have a magic fairy dust wand that will suddenly make Allen a good QB.

It could happen. Allen could be a good QB at the NFL level, but it's likely going to take an Andy Reid, Bruce Arians, Mike McCarthy type boss to make that happen and then it's probably going to take a year or two and finally he's 50/50 to bust even if whoever gets him has a strong clue.

15. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Considering Rex was the best coach we’ve had since Parcels I like his opinion.

I think Rex looks at him the same way most scouts GMs and coaches look at him. HE PASSES THE EYE TEST! Ron Wolf and many other successful talent analysts have said “trust your eyes” and when I look at Allen throwing the football he passes the eye test with flying colours.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  16. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

Hackenberg and Allen play completely different styles of football. It's night and day when you watch the tape. Hack mentally shuts down whenever there is pressure. Allen competes through pressure and tries to extend plays. Allen throws a much more crisp, accurate, and well-timed ball. Equating Allen to Hack based on their height and arm strength is incredibly ignorant. I'd be really interesting to see which posters were pro-drafting Hack when he was a prospect (there was a sizable portion of this board that was pro-Hack).

17. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Isn't looking at him the eye test? The question isn't wether or not he passes the "Eye Test" The question is do scouts, GM's and coaches have enough information and are they good enough to project someone's NFL future based on looking at them? That's exactly the problem with Allen. He looks great but there isn't enough information on him to project him as an NFL QB other than the "Eye Test"

He doesn't pass the actually play football test.

18. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I don't know Brook, maybe you should listen to football people over message board posters who keep bringing up Hack?
    Just a thought o_O

TonyFtLaud, Brook!, LF911SC and 2 others like this.
  19. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Mac was in no hurry to fix the OL this offseason, and between that and the Bridgewater signing it almost points to the expectation that the QB to be named later will sit for a year. This could eliminate a guy like Rosen from the equation because he appears to be ready to go. Makes me wonder if they really are targeting Mayfield or Allen.

20. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

"Football people" have been drafting QB busts like candy. I don't hear anyone comparing him to Andrew Luck. The reality is the football people who run the Jets have a better than even chance of getting canned because of this pick.