Rex Ryan, a Jets fan?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MexJetinBcn, Jan 15, 2009.

1. MexJetinBcn

MexJetinBcn New Member

I know he has diplomatically said that he "has a special feeling for the franchise", but he has to be a Jets fan, just like all of us, probably suffering throughout the 80s and 90s, getting his hopes high every time and then breaking his heart again and again. Hell, he probably celebrated every sack of the "sack exchange"

He was born in 1962, so he was six when we won the SB. Eactly the time in which you make allegiances. When his father left the Jets he was 13, too late to change teams.

That's probably why he blew everyone off in the interviews, if I was a coach I'd take the Jets job in a minute, and I'd do everything to get it, even if they paid me less. It's a matter of heart not a matter of brains or wallet.

I wasn't sure who I wanted for HC, but now I'm rooting for ryan, not just because I think he's got the knowledge but also because I know he will care for the team, and every loss won't just be a loss as a coach but also one as a fan. It was the same feeling I had for Vinny, sometimes he was crap (especially in the end) but I knew losing hurt him exactly as it hurt me.

2. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

and vinny was the last QB to get this team close to a SB... maybe Rex can do the same thing.... i like this idea of him being a Jets fan. It seems fitting. It was his father's only ring until 85 with the bears, so little rex probably did love the Jets growing up because it was dad's 1st NFL success.

Come home, coach.

3. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I like your thinking. It would be great if Ryan actually was a Jets fan!

4. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

If this is true I think it would definitely be a big plus. Regardless of the debate over Mangini's skills as a coach, the thing that pissed me off the most about him was how he reacted to losses. His attitude was like "Oh well, things didn't work out, what are you gonna do?". I'm sure if we had someone with real emotional ties to the team at least we wouldn't have to sit through any more apathetic press conferences like that.

5. Mr. green T

Mr. green T New Member

I almost got a little tear in my eye after reading the last sentence. Come home coach, we've been waiting.

6. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

It's a nice thought. If Joe Willie got him his first beer or broad, I'd say it's a certainty!

7. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

Here we go, Steelers, here we go. I hope Pittsburgh wins 7-0 on an INT return of Flacco.

8. vanyjetsfan

vanyjetsfan Member

He grew up with his dad working for the franchise. Buddy was here from 1968-1975

9. Darth Vader

Darth Vader Member

that wld be real cool.

i always wondered about coaches fan allegences

10. firemanedjr

firemanedjr Active Member

It's a nice thought, but I really bet you he's actually a pretty big Ravens fan.

11. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

he has a ring with them, so I would imagine he loves that franchise and that team... but he may have grown up a Jet fan. He can't grow up a raven fan, they didn't exist.

12. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I WANT RYAN EVEN MORE NOW! :beer:

13. firemanedjr

firemanedjr Active Member

Let me rephrase that: I bet you he's rooting for the Ravens before any other team.

14. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

really? have there been studies on this? not even a more broad statement like when many fans create sports allegiances, it is exactly when they do. what happens to kids who don't start to watch sports until after the age of 6, are they unable to create allegiances with teams? is it like a foreign language, if you don't do it early in development it becomes progressively more difficult or impossible?

15. MexJetinBcn

MexJetinBcn New Member

Well, now he does of course, because he works for them, but you always support a team regardless of your job status. I'm sure Mike Singletary wants the 49ers to win every game but he's looking the results of the Bears with the corner of his eye.

Of course not. You create allegiances in the first years you watch a sport. If you start watching let's say, soccer, at 19, you can't possible say that you were a fan of Manchester United since you were 6. But if your father worked in a football team, I'm sure you start watching football at the youngest possible age. And if your dad's team win a Super Bowl, the odds are pretty high you end up supporting them.

Ask your Jet friends when did they started rooting for the team. In my case it was even younger, around 4 or 5, I liked the green uniforms and was naive enough not to care about who won or lost.

16. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I made my choice of the Jets at 4. Biggest mistake I ever made. Perhaps if I waited until I was 6, I would have picked a team like Pittsburgh or Dallas or New England, and enjoyed multiple titles in my lifetime.

17. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

right now sure..... but if he controls another team he'd be rooting for them too. But I believe where a coach got his big coaching break will always have a place in his heart. Kind of like Holmgren with the Packers and Parcells with the Giants.

18. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

Being a Jets fan must make you a better person though. There's nothing more humbling.

19. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

You have to think his dad is telling him to take the Jets job.

Buddy always wanted to come back to the Jets.

When Rex is the HC, I wonder how many clips of Buddy you will see?

20. Guelah97

Guelah97 Member

I don't ever remember making a conscientious decision to root for the Jets. The first games
    I can remember watching were in 1986 around the time I started collecting football cards and stuff. My dad was a die hard jets fan and thats how I was bought into this world of pain and agony. Fortunately he was also a Yankees so it evened out a little bit.