Rex: Izdik stood pat instead of trading up for OBJ

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Mogriffjr, Feb 5, 2017.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Allen Robinson wasn't getting much love prior to the draft. A lot of fans liked Landry, I really liked him coming out of LSU.

kevda5n9ne and Toronto's Biggest like this.
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Allen Robinson was only good in college because of the guy who was throwing him the ball.

(okay it is hard to post that and try to be serious:D)

Toronto's Biggest likes this.
  3. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

STFU Rex - quit deflecting blame and have some accountability. For all of his "this loss is on me and I've got to do a better job of getting the team ready" post game BS, he really doesn't believe anything is his fault. Won't be long before he's a DC for Lane Kiffin at FAU.

FJF and HomeoftheJets like this.
  4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Lord Hackenberg is going to lead us to the promise land.

5. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

And drafted 3 WR's in the same draft and two are already out of the league!!!!!!! Fortunately Enunwa is turning into a quality player.

6. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Eli Manning is the most pedestrian QB of all time. So if he made a WR look good, then that same WR would be in the hall of fame with Geno Smith throwing curve balls at him.

Toronto's Biggest likes this.
  7. Toronto's Biggest

Toronto's Biggest Active Member

and Enunwa was taken at the point of the draft where names get thrown in a hat and pulled out. That was pure luck

Robinson was a pretty curious case coming into the draft and probably deserved a lot more love. He was a super-productive receiver in college with a big body. Lots of comparables to someone like Treadwell who went at the tail-end of the 1st a couple years later. I feel like he got swallowed up by the dark shadow Penn State had hanging over them from the scandals.

Murrell2878 likes this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

this^
    not only that but the offense they ran, the run game they had, and a good o-line was huge. alot of the big plays form smith, nicks, cruz, and even ODB are all YAC. eli drops back 3 steps and throws a 2 yard pass and the WR does the rest. He hasn't carried anyone and even now he is a liability. we all seen how bad the giants offense is when ODB has a bad game. If he was to get hurt in preseason the giants would have a bottom 5 offense in 2017.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Rex was better than Weeb Ewbank?

Walt White, Randy Rasmussen and FJF like this.
  10. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

you still can't admit that you were totally wrong about obj

::trump voice::

sad

11. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I think it's far more likely that Rex was just buttering up Odell, that's pretty much his MO. They would have had to trade up from the 18th pick to the 11th or higher, which meant giving up multiple other picks. I don't think it was a realistic possibility at the time although in hindsight it would be an easy trade up considering the draft picks we got that that year that were mostly busts.

#51 Sam Hammer, Feb 6, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  12. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

13. mute

mute Well-Known Member

doesn't matter since we had/have no QB.

14. GasedAndConfused

didn't we have like 12 picks that draft?
    yeah marvin lewis is one that should be on the hot seat. the thing is his team is always competing. they haven't bombed one year under him that i can remember. hard to fire a coach that makes the playoffs alot. he just can't win in the playoffs

Red Menace likes this.
  15. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Special Teams Coach

Correction... You are right. After a bunch of seasons as special teams coach, he was a secondary coach for one year before they hired him.

16. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I dont understand our fans sometimes, I would rather have Marvin Lewis successful HC record over what Rex gave the jets.

They have had some bad seasons under Marvin Lewis. 2 seasons of 4-12, last year 6-9-1 but the rest have been good.

What has garnered him longevity is that his team went to the playoffs 5 consecutive years.

#56 Red Menace, Feb 8, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  17. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

The Jets did have a bunch, but many were 6th round or later comp picks that you can't trade. To trade up that many spots in the draft we'd have to give up our 2nd and 3rd at minimum (likely more) and they did have many holes to fill. I don't think it was realistic at the time, but in hindsight it would have been worth it cuz that draft was another horrible draft for the Jets. I have doubts that Rex would push to trade up for a receiver, when he was notorious for 1st round defense picks.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  18. GasedAndConfused

of course I'd take his sucess. but you gotta keep improving. all joking aside. rex has more playoff wins in his 1st year then lewis has his entire stint with the bengals. Rex is 4-2 in the playoffs with us and made consecutive AFC champ game sin his 1st 2 season with a rookie QB who turned out to be a bust. You gotta give them man some credit for what he did here.
    Coughlin got fired from the giants despite 2 SB wins and a pretty decent overall stint. he deserved another chance more then lewis.

19. GasedAndConfused

that's true but rax does get man crushs. like john conner lol. and idzik was notorious for not wanting to trade up

20. He dropped alot of balls at PSU,was a bit of a body catcher & also didn't run great routes.

Anyone who took him was taking him based on his measurables. That didn't exactly work out for the Jets w. Stephen Hill 2 years prior.