Revisionist Draft History 2013-present

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

2014: You go with Derek Carr in 1st round. Period.

I think he was the BPA, and was a massive need as well.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. The coaching carousel has gone on with this team for as long as I can remember, but it is only recently, within the last 4-5 years or so where fans really started making their displeasure known. Oh they might have booed before, worn paper bags on their heads and some stayed home, but they weren't hiring billboards, planes and going to social media they way they are now.

Also, if the team had an experienced football man running the operation instead of a clueless tool of an owner, or a novice GM, HE would set the identity and culture, and when there was a coaching change, more than likely the culture wouldn't change. An offensive or defensive system might occasionally change, but the basic systems, philosophy and culture would remain the same.

The problem is that the last two owners the Jets have had were/are clueless stooges. Hess totally stayed out of the way and didn't meddle, but he also was too patient and never hired a football man to run the team or got the team its own stadium so they could have some pride and identity. Johnson has been more involved, but is a dilettante, and is too egotistical to hire a football man and stay out of the way.

Unless Johnson sells the team, or finally wises up and hires someone who knows what they're doing to run this team, this franchise has little or no hope of ever becoming a consistently competitive team, much less returning to a SB or actually winning one.

#42 NCJetsfan, Aug 29, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Watching Ty Montgomery running tough and catching passes against Seattle and thinking of what could have been.

Adam Schefter - RB Stevan Ridley is visiting NY Jets today
    But can Lockett also line up at tailback and run between and off tackle a handful times a game? That's why I'm so enamored with Ty Montgomery at tailback. He [is] a utility guy a.k.a. "OW (Offensive Weapon)" a la Cordelle Patterson, Joshn Cribbs, Percy Harvin, Tavon Austin..etc. but in an every down back body (6-0 220). He was listed as a WR on Stanford's roster only because they had to categorize him somehow. The truth is that he was really a man without a position very much like the guys I referenced. He played WR (slot and outside), RB and QB as well as returned punts and kicks, which he is great at. Like Denard Robinson a couple years ago, he is a prime RB conversion candidate.
    Post by: legler82, Apr 1, 2015 in forum: New York Jets

4. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Let's not forget that you may have a player who is a stud on one team and on the Jets they could end up being average or busts. Player development plays a role and if you have a coaching staff that sucks at player development then players won't reach their full potentials.

Either way, Jets suck at both drafting and player development. Great recipe for a disaster of a team.

5. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Yes taking the BPA is lazy scouting. Why even have a scouting department. Mel Kiper could do that job before all the goo dries in his mop. Just buy Ourlads, Street & Smiths draft guides and have at it. Save your owner tons of money on travel, video breakdown combines.

legler82 likes this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I thought you liked our 'novice' GM.
    I feel like you're on to something. Maybe we should start using those sites to build our big board.

boozer32 likes this.
  7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be surprised if those sites were better at drafting than NFL teams.

8. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Personally, I like draft insiders its run by former scouts and they give great detai
    The one I really is draft insiders. It's run by former and retired scouts and GM's. The one I really liked but the guy passed away was Pro Football Weekly Joel Bushbaum. He had a nice write up of college players.

9. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

U forgot that in 2016 MCC passed on Dak & drafted Hack instead. The last great draft we had is 65 when we drafted JWN :mad:

10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Adams played 75 snaps, but only 19 came at safety, which led to some of his struggles against the run as he had to face Buffalo’s offensive linemen in the box." - PFF

I cannot believe we are going to use Adams this way, meanwhile Charles Clay is out there catching a TD pass and making plays.

No fucking linebackers on the team? Thanks Mac! Trying to make Adams your gadget player? F U Bowles ...

get these guys outta here ...

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  11. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

This happens if Dak is drafted by the Jets:

[​IMG]

Mac got 2 safeties - and they played very well yesterday, I'd think - and then Bowles is shitting on them. This is Mac's fault that Bowles is shitting on the rookie safety, am I right?

Seriously - a few nights ago, Eric Berry literally erased Gronk from the football field. Yes. I am saying that. TIGHTENDS SHOULD BE COVERED WITH SAFETIES. Mac got 2 very good safety prospects, but somehow they are not used properly and TEs are burning this D. That's Mac's fault? How?

#51 Zach, Sep 11, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  12. 101GangGreen101

They aren't on the same page. I don't see a vision for this football team. What are the roles of the young good players? Sure as hell doesn't look like they are put in the right situation.

13. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I'd personally think that, Mac has an eye for talent. He knows how to shed suck, if anything. (Watching Brandon Marshall drop easy flat pass was rather enjoyable somehow.)

On the other hand - Bowles? I think he belongs to the bathroom, taking shit from everyone.

14. 101GangGreen101

Mac may have an eye for talent, but the way he's going about it, I can't agree with taking 2 safeties back to back. I really liked Adams, but I can't endorse the Maye pick when you have a lot of other talented players on the other side of the ball available. I am glad Mac let those guys go, Decker was dropping passes, didn't look good out there with TN and Marshall was just bad. David Harris? Even Sheldon with Seattle wasn't great, but it was nice to see him play a role that he's used to and will thrive.

Bowles has to go now, I am done with him after watching him use Adams the way he was using him, Buster Skrine playing outside. Woody or whoever will fire Bowles, I think Mac will end up staying, but he needs to have some sort of say in who hires the HC and that HC needs to know offense. Get a D guy to coach the D and put them in the right spots. I am sick of head coaches trying to get cute with talented defensive players.