Revisionist Draft History 2013-present

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

So let's go back a couple drafts and play revisionist history of what could've been to fix this offense. Just for the sake of looking at this team as if we had an offensive minded franchise.

And just for funsies because it's still preseason and we're looking at an awful 2017 anyways.

1st round: CB Dee Milliner & DT Sheldon Richardson
    Could've taken: OG Chance Warmack, OT DJ Fluker, OG Justin Pugh, OG Kyle Long, TE Tyler Eifert, WR DeAndre Hopkins, WR Corradelle Paterson, C Travis Fredericks

2nd round: QB Geno Smith
    Could've taken: WR Robert Woods, RB Le'veon Bell, RB Eddie Lacy, TE Travis Kelce

3rd round: G Brian Winters
    We'll stand pat here

1st round: S Calvin Pryor
    Could've taken: WR Kelvin Benjamin, OT/G Joel Bitonio, OG Xavier Su'a-Filo

2nd round: TE Jace Amaro
    Could've taken: WR Jarvis Landry, WR Allen Robinson, WR Davante Adams, RB Jeremy Hill, RB Carlos Hyde, OT Jack Mewhort, OT Justin Britt

3rd round: CB Dexter McDougle
    Could've taken: OG Gabe Jackson, WR Donte Moncrief, WR John Brown, G Trai Turner

Leonard Williams looks to be a great pick for the record, but just tossing some of these names out there

1st round: DT/DE Leonard Williams
    Could've taken: RB Todd Gurley, OT Andrus Peat, WR DeVante Parker, RB Melvin Gordon
    We'll stand pat with this selection though.

2nd round: WR Devin Smith
    Could've taken: WR Devin Funchess, OG Mitch Morse, RB Ameer Abdullah, OG Ali Marpet, OT Rob Havenstein, OG AJ Cann

3rd round: DE Lorenzo Mauldin
    Could've taken: RB David Johnson, RB Matt Hones

1st round: LB Darron Lee
    Could've taken: WR Will Fuller, WR Josh Doctson, WR Laquon Treadwell, OG Josh Garnett, OT Germain Ifedi, TE Hunter Henry, WR Sterling Shepherd

2nd round: QB Christian Hackenberg
    Could've taken: OG/T Cody Whitehair, WR Tyler Boys

3rd round: OLB Jordan Jenkins
    Could've taken: OG Graham Glasgow

So in short, this franchise sucks at the draft period.

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

2014 was a gold mind. That draft will continue to haunt the Jets for years to come.

slimjasi likes this.
  3. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

You could do the same for every franchise and come to the exact same conclusion. Drafting has been bad but not really any worse than most of the league. I just read an article about the Dolphins 2nd round picks and it made our picks look great.
    The problem has been the Defensive focus , some misses on Offensive players and injuries like Enunwas and Devin Smith's. 2014 really crippled us but Mac or the next GM has to focus on the O for a change. Let's hope the FO has seen the state of this pathetic offense and they wake the F up...

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Really sad and pathetic.

You forgot that the Jets could have taken Teddy Bridgewater or Derek Carr in 2014.

They also could have taken the following players in 2015-2016 as well (I posted these in the Kony Ealy thread):

In the 2015 draft, he could have added players like: Todd Gurley, Cedric Ogbuehi, Laken Tomlinson, Cameron Erving, Donovan Smith, T.J. Yeldon, Jake Fisher, Tyler Lockett, Tevin Coleman, A.J. Cann, Ty Sambrailo, Ty Montgomery and others. To be fair, there were high profile offensive players he could have taken too that have pretty much been busts or not done much.

In the 2016 draft, he tried to trade up for Laremy Tunsil. In the 2016 draft, he could have added players like: Joshua Garnett, Germain Ifedi, Sterling Shephard, Derrick Henry, Jason Spriggs, Michael Thomas, Nick Martin, Cody Whitehair, Le'Raven Clark and Graham Glasgow.

#4 NCJetsfan, Aug 27, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  5. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

That Jace Amaro pick though... :(

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Of course. I was bored though and wanted to see what could have been in a perfect world. Man, even swap out McDougle for Trai Turner and Amaro for one of those receivers and we'd be in such better shape.

Also, @NCJetsfan I decided to exclude quarterbacks because we'll seemingly never have a franchise quarterback so we can forget that pipe dream.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  7. Jonathan_Vilma

A gold mine and we had an army of picks that we could've cashed in on. Imagine we made the right selection in just two of those rounds? The franchise might seriously be in a different place right now.

8. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

That F'n Amaro pick......
    Still haunts us. Should rehire Idzick just to fire him again!!!!!

Cman68 and K'OB like this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The problem with the Jets is that they don't have an overall scheme or identity they build towards, and instead they rely on the philosophy pf BPA. So what if they have an abundance of DL? If the BPA is a DL they'll grab him without a second thought! The most successful teams don't do that, they know what kind of players they want and they go after them, even if the "conventional wisdom" says those players aren't the BPA - if they fit their identity, they grab them, and they don't try to force-fit players into their system, they make sure the players they get already fit their system. Until the Jets get an architect to create their identity/system, they'll just going to be chasing their tails. Macc might be okay at identifying talent - maybe - but he doesn't have an overall plan or vision. It's like he's trying to build a great car and he wanders from car maker to car maker, taking an engine here, a transmission, there; a rear end here, a body there, etc. Even if they're the best parts and pieces, you can't just put them together and expect them to work well together.

They desperately need a Pres. of Football Ops to oversee a true rebuilding.

HAYN, Cman68, boozer32 and 1 other person like this.
  10. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

That throughly depressed me. You would think with the amount of money, time, film watching, scouting that teams would have this down to a science. I honestly think I could do a better job than these so called experts.

11. boozer32

Good analysis. I've come to hate the BPA. It gives whoever is making these picks cover. They need to be held accountable for these picks and lack of production from the draft process. I seriouly think they could do a better job if they just threw darts at the board. How else do you explain taking 2 safeties in the first 2 rounds. Safety is probably the least taken position in the first round next to placekicker and the Jets who are woefully awful in all phases of football took another one in round 2. Now I like Marcus Maye maybe even more than Adams but we could have gone in another direction in round one.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

Christian McCaffrey is going to be an absolute stud IMO. He's the type of player that does so many things that you can tailor an offense to him. He's a threat from anywhere. I would've loved to have grabbed him. He was considered a reach, but I still would've been fine with it if it meant giving us our first legitimate game changer on offense since I can remember.

ColoradoContrails and boozer32 like this.
  13. boozer32

He was good in college but I don't think he will have much of an impact in the pro's.

14. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

If you skip the Geno pick in 2013 then you go into the season with Sanchez. Which means we get McElroy when Sancho goes down against the G-Men........................unless you plan to keep Tebow or Quin on the roster or pick up Leinart, Young or JaMarcus from FA?

That ofc will impact where we draft from then on, who is drafting and so on and on.........

15. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I just remember rationalizing the MacDougle pick hard to myself. I knew it made absolutely no sense to me. A 6th round talent drafted in the 3rd. Why not wait at least one more round before going for him? Then I thought, okay well Idzik must really know something about this guy that others dont. He didnt, and thats why he isn't a GM any more.

boozer32 likes this.
  16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

The reason they don't have an identity is because philosophies change every 3-4 years as new coaches are cycled in and out. You can say we are going to be x type of team but it takes a few years to get the players needed to be x. By that time we already are carrying the pitch forks and torches to drive out the regime and bring in a new one who wants to be a z type team. But we just spent 3 years getting x players so now we start again. Now, we are going into year 3 and you can already smell the torches burning.
    If we want an identity we are going to need an owner or president willing to take the abuse while he gives a coach/gm more than 3-4 years to build something.
    I say this including myself as part of the problem

slimjasi and blackssmagic like this.
  17. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

The Jets suck at drafting. Don't know why nobody noticed that before.

Cman68 likes this.
  18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The problem isn't the Jets drafting BPA, it's that they're bad at figuring out who the BPA is.

tiger8mush and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  19. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

With the exception of Sheldon Richardson who has no common sense, not one of those players had any heart whatsoever. Rocks for brains. Toss in Quinton Coples, Stephen hill, Gholston and you've got a pile of worthless losers. Collectively they won't add up to Julian Edelman in the 7th round.

20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Of course I wanted Mahomes, but would've been happy with McCaffrey as a consolation prize. Look what he's doing for Carolina. I'm not saying he would've single-handedly transformed the Jets, but he sure as hell would've helped the QBs and the rest of the offense. Maybe you can argue that Adams was a better player, but he;s not that much better than Maye, and had they taken McCaffrey instead they would've greatly helped the "O" and the "D", instead of just the "D".

boozer32 likes this.