Report: Jets will make a run at Jim Harbaugh

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jetsclaps, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

He was fired from San Francisco because of the GM who had a good relationship with ownership. It was a difference of philosophy between HC and GM and ownership decided to side with GM. Otherwise he would have been there longer.

Niners have sucked since he left because GM sucked and drafted poorly. GM was fired a year later and Niners have not recovered from that move. Even though the Lynch and Shannahan pairing has potential.

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

That's a good point. Especially if he stays at Michigan, then there will be no pattern at all. I did not realize he was fired by the 49ers. I assumed he left since he had recently taken them to the Super Bowl.

3. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Harbaugh confirms he didn't leave 49ers by choice, told he was fired after Seahawks loss
    The word "mutual" is apparently tricky to define, as Jim Harbaugh confirms his ousting following a Week 15 loss to the Seattle Seahawks in a recent interview.
    [​IMG]
    Ed Szczepanski-USA TODAY Sports
    You know that mutual parting of ways that occurred between the San Francisco 49ersand head coach Jim Harbaugh? The one that we all suspected wasn't actually mutual in any way, especially after Jed York and Trent Baalke played the fools (does that term work plural?) at Harbaugh's post-divorce press conference? Big shocker: it wasn't exactly mutual.

Harbaugh appeared on a podcast hosted by Tim Kawakami of the San Jose Mercury News on Friday, and talked quite a bit about his exit from the team. I haven't had a chance to listen to the full thing just yet, but I've gathered some quotes (primarily from our own Tre9er via Twitter) and of course, there's the link above.

On the podcast, Harbaugh says that he didn't leave the 49ers, but that the 49ers hierarchy left him. He then went on to say that the "mutual parting of ways" was only mutual in that Harbaugh didn't want to put the team in a bad spot by trying to fight with them. It makes sense, given that it would also put Harbaugh in a bad spot to try and stick around with an owner and general manager that were obviously done with him.

This all flies right in the face of the lies told to the fans by York and Baalke. I don't know if it would have necessarily been better if they came out and said "Look, we like power and Harbaugh didn't listen to us. So screw that guy," but at least that would have been honest, right?

From what I've heard, it's a fascinating interview, and Kawakami was clearly very excited to land it (and I know many people here have their own feelings on Kawakami but serious kudos goes to the guy over this). Harbaugh also mentions that things were awkward with Jim Tomsula near the end, which to me calls into question the legitimacy of the team's coaching search following Harbaugh's ousting. Did Tomsula already know the job was his?

I'm sure there's more, but the only other things I've noticed thus far: Harbaugh confirmed that he was told he was out after the Week 15 loss to the Seattle Seahawks, and Harbaugh said that he didn't consider any other NFL team -- Michigan was always his destination.

Welp.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Harbaugh and his offense makes me nervous from a schematic standpoint ... was not impressed, then again Michigan isn't winning the recruiting battle.

I would be thinking about the NFL if I were him

Red Menace likes this.
  5. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

The recruiting will be easier without Urban Myer around. I don't see him going anywhere for a few more years. It's like Lincoln Riley said there's no reason for these college coaches to leave for the NFL anymore. They can make the same/more money and have more control staying in college.

6. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

I don't really care so much about his offensive philosophy.

I think he has enough pull to get a really good innovative OC.

He would bring immediate credibility to the franchise and accountability to the locker room.

Still prefer John but I'd take Jim.

Red Menace likes this.
  7. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I've heard of Michigan

8. 101GangGreen101

Recruiting happens when you win big games and Jim has not won any big games with Michigan.

Its quite possible they continue to be the team they are now.

9. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

10. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I’m not convinced Michigan gets better. Their academic requirements are stricter than OSU’s and OSU still has a better image. The next coach would have to be terrible and the team be noticeably worse next year for OSU to lose recruits, so Harbaugh won’t see a benefit for another year at the least.

11. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Curious how you came to this conclusion.

Since you've admitted:

You don't watch college.

You don't watch the pros other than the Jets.

You get up early and work late to pay the bills.

Most of your opinions, it appears are based on BMI and haircuts.

Was it Pro Football Talk?

Or Francessa?

Noam likes this.
  12. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yep, that is my only concern. You see the success at each place though, which is what matters most to me.

13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Chris , get on the phone, see what Jim knows about John leaving Baltimore. Then move accordingly

CBG and GQMartin like this.
  14. Michigan has ran the same plays forever.The playbook is bigger than Jim.Their formula always has been run heavy power vertical.

While i think Harbaugh’s system fallls within this realm,there was fantastic play design & imagination w San Fran.

I think Darnold has the chops to flourish in that system & provides a nicely needed wildcard that comes w his ability to improvise when plays break down.

15. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

The main reason I want Harbaugh to come here is because he can coach up #14. If he wants to leave after 4 years so be it, but we will have a developed 25 year old QB and more talent on the offensive side of the ball without question.

16. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

He is not leaving Michigan.

17. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

[​IMG]

Mogriffjr likes this.
  18. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

All I care about is the right coach to develop Sam... I'll take 4yrs.

19. 101GangGreen101

If the team has talent Harbaugh will mold it. I also think Darnold can fit into that offense.

I think that's pretty crazy to say that the playbook is bigger then Jim, but if he comes to the Jets, I hope theres a little more innovation, perhaps a few more wrinkles. The offense at Michigan has looked uninspiring.

20. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Ignore them.