Report: Baker Mayfield to Jets 'a done deal'

Discussion in 'Draft' started by forevercursed, Apr 18, 2018.

1. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I see Mayfield point why bother when they have no chance of taking him. These guys have been poked and prodded for the last 3 months.You don't think if Mayfield did an Aaron Rodgers type drop in the draft they wouldn't take him. They would in a heartbeat..

Noam likes this.
  2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Mayfield can be a ticking time bomb for his on the field antics. Can’t compare Mannings situation to this one.

3. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I don't think that was Mayfield's point. He said he had to prioritize what playbooks to study so he wanted to make sure he got the playbooks down of the teams that were more likely to take him even if that meant spending less time with the Charger's playbook. The real learning point for him here is not what he did but being honest and upfront and telling the press that is what he did. To be a NFL QB with the notoriety of Mayfield he has to realize he will constantly be in the spotlight and everything he said will be picked apart. Better to learn this lesson now than learn it from Cimini and Mehta later. It is a lesson that Rosen should pay attention to as well.

4. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

If there is any point on Mayfield that you make that I couldn't simply disagree with more, it is this one. If teams felt a real danger here, he wouldn't go in the first round.

boozer32 likes this.
  5. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

I guess the only question left is will Mayfield take the Sanchez tainted #6 jersey.

Walt White and boozer32 like this.
  6. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I think Mayfield will try to rehab the jersey. He does not seem the type to be afraid of a previous QBs legacy. Although if he is a bust that might be the last number 6 we see for a long time.

7. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Ohhh wow great question.

8. 101GangGreen101

Browns and Giants seem to not care much about Mayfield for their respective picks. I am sure some teams are turned off by the attitude.

What's to say he doesn't slide on draft day? Anything can happen.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

AlexJETS likes this.
  9. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I really hope someone pulls him aside and as is like, "Look, that number won't look so good on you. Try your high school number (#11) instead."

I am hoping for a #11 jersey. Not #6. Please not that number.

Noam likes this.
  10. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Yeah I am so over #6

11. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I like the number 11 although the advantage in going 6 is he could effectively erase the history and pain of the Sanchez era if he turns out to be good. When we see number 6 jerseys we will no longer cringe in embarrassment.

12. xxedge72x

Anything can happen, absolutely. If he does slide, it will be telling. Same with Rosen.

I bring up Rosen here because IF Rosen goes later than Mayfield, that tells me teams are more concerned about what they are getting outside of passing mechanics significantly more than with Mayfield. That is a big IF though, and I don't really know.

All I can speak to is the research I've done on Mayfield's character and I believe it to be a completely overblown, but legitimate criticism. It is overblown in the sense that I believe him to be intelligent enough and caring enough about his career that he will work to improve on his own maturity issues. He is not the first, nor the last, to have done incredibly immature and dopey things on the collegiate level, to then go on and be a professional at the next level.

I know you have a special hatred for the throwing the ball at opposing players thing that happened. All I'll say is, if he does that in the NFL, he will find himself taking nasty cheap shots, which in turn hurts the whole team. If he is hurting the team, the team will only tolerate it for so long if he's playing well enough to tolerate it at all. Again, I believe if for no other reason than self preservation, he won't carry those sort of antics up.

I think the trash talking and swagger will continue, and I don't have a problem with that. Jamal Adams does it, tons of greats do it. JJ Watt does it and he's among the most respected in the NFL.

13. PennyandtheJets

Rosen's "attitude" is far less concerning in my opinion than his injury filled career at UCLA.

He played in only 6 games as a Sophomore and 11 as a Junior. I get it, injuries can happen to anyone at anytime, but there is no question some are more prone to them than others. I don't see Rosen as a consistent 16 games played a year type of QB. He will miss games. To me, that is a big concern.

14. xxedge72x

Yes, this is prevailing attitude here. The only problem with the prevailing attitude here is that we don't have the ability to be across from Rosen himself, look him in the eye, see his body language and demeanor, and hear the manner in which he answers questions which are asked to gauge exactly that. All we see is press conferences and marketing clips, which for all these guys is them at their best.

Listening to people who are connected to the league (who themselves don't know what GMs are thinking), there is a lot of "smoke" that Rosen is hurting himself in these face to face situations. We don't have access to this, so it is hard for us to form opinions on it. But understanding it is out there, it is at least worth monitoring and understanding the implications.

PennyandtheJets likes this.
  15. PennyandtheJets

I didn't like the Q&A he did a few weeks back. I think it was with ESPN. He was contradicting himself left and right.

16. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Yes, the concussion thing is real and it is serious..I read if he takes a "ding" in camp it could cost him the first 6-7 games of the season...what happens if he takes another one after that?

17. xxedge72x

At the end of the day, GMs will evaluate what they've seen with their own eyes and project whether or not these kids will come into their locker room and bring the whole team up, act as an independent contributor, or act as a friction point or worse. Every team wants the leader who will bring everyone up, but would probably accept the independent contributor who is so skilled that they can perhaps be a "silent leader". If GMs see Rosen as potentially be internally disruptive, they will be making a long and hard risk calculation as to whether it is worth taking the chance vs selecting someone else who is far less risky, and at this point in the draft, still very highly graded.

It is very easy for us as fans to simply say he's so good, you just have to take him! It is not this simple for the man in the hot seat.

18. PennyandtheJets

Also had a significant shoulder injury :confused:

19. 101GangGreen101

Rosen is a guy that says what he feels, wherever its questioning the NCAA or something of that nature. I'd say he has a political type personality and obviously with the Kaepernick issues, it leaves a mark on these owners.

Thats not why you pass on a great prospect. Mayfield's on the field antics exhibit a potential time bomb if things do not go the way he wants them to go.

20. xxedge72x

You are not particularly objective about this. We don't know. You don't, I don't. We both can have great discussions about the way these guys play. When it comes to who they are, we see an image, we don't see the truth. Unless you are an NFL GM who happens to love posting on the gang green and actually get to spend time with him, you have no more insight than any of us. It isn't a conversation worth having because there isn't enough information to come close to accurately assessing.