Report: Baker Mayfield to Jets 'a done deal'

Discussion in 'Draft' started by forevercursed, Apr 18, 2018.

1. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Found it interesting. I mean I wouldn't go this far considering it is possibly NYG or Cleveland take him. I don't know...I suppose Buffalo if they want to could still jump in at 2 but perhaps they realize it's not happening and the Giants have told them to stop calling. Miami I think would be trying to leapfrog us at 2 as well.

The Baker Mayfield to New York Jets rumors are heating up to a boiling point, as every day that passes ahead of the 2018 NFL Draft brings more news on this front.

On Wednesday, just over one week before the prospects start flying off the board, NFL insider Tony Pauline shared this: “One source, who has dealt with quarterbacks at the top of the draft the past five years, believes Mayfield to the Jets is a ‘done deal.'”

It’s previously been reported that Mayfield is New York’s preferred quarterback, even over the likes of Josh Allen (who’s gotten a ton of buzz as the potential top pick) and Josh Rosen

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/report-baker-mayfield-to-jets-a-done-deal/ar-AAw2w8k

FlaJet, NYJetsO12, xxedge72x and 2 others like this.
  2. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

One more week for the Jets to come to their senses and pass on Baker.

This regime needs to make the right choice for the franchise not the right choice for keeping their jobs for another year.

3. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

One more week for you to come to your senses admit to lying about reports of Tanner Lee Lighting up the Senior bowl.

You need to make the right choice or I'll just assume you like to sleep under bridges and and post fake shit on the interwebs for fun.

Walt White, NCJetsfan, FlaJet and 3 others like this.
  4. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

If Allen is on the board and they pick mayfield I’m getting black out drunk so I can’t remember...

If they take Mayfield over Darnold and Rosen I’m ok with it but I’d prefer the other 2...

boozer32 likes this.
  5. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Get ready to load up.

NYJetsO12 and PhillyJet52 like this.
  6. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

We will know by Wednesday who the Browns will picking at #1 then will have an idea who the Jets are selecting other then that everything is hogwash.

7. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

This comment is Idzik level bad.

Noam, NYJalltheway, NCJetsfan and 4 others like this.
  8. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Total nonsense.

LF911SC likes this.
  9. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

What's the right choice?

10. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Obviously, it's Tanner Lee. :p

joe, MoWilkBeast and Harpua like this.
  11. boozer32

I don't think we will know even then. I expect them to draw it out and to use the whole 15 minute allowed.

12. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

OMG?.fingers crossed if true..what a shift for Mac to pull the trigger on THIS..pray it's NOT a smoke for landing Josh Allen..that would send me packing as a fan

13. boozer32

I don't think I've locked in on anyone in particular. I'm good with Mayfield or Rosen. I like Darnold but I've always thought he would be the first overall. The only one I do not want is Allen.

Noam, NYJalltheway, NYJetsO12 and 3 others like this.
  14. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I like Mayfield but I sure do wish he was 4 inches taller. Pretty much every mock out there now has us taking him regardless of what happens above us so we will see. He does has the perfect attitude for NY so it should be fun to watch.

15. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

His height really isn't a factor. At least in my opinion. It has been proven that shorter QBs can have a very high level of success in the pocket.

I am more concerned with Mayfield's slightly below average hand size. Jared Goff has 9in hands and was great passing the ball last year. Mayfield's hands are just slightly bigger. Only concern I have is when it gets really cold out, will mayfield be able to hold onto the ball?

I can't wait until draft night. Should be a great night.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. JohnnyJet1222

JohnnyJet1222 Active Member

I agree with you. My Mayfield concern is he seemed to take a lot of sacks. Hard to go back and analyze why. Otherwise I'm all in.

PennyandtheJets likes this.
  17. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I am OK with him eating a few more sacks in lieu of throwing more interceptions.

Every single season his INT numbers dropped :)

JohnnyJet1222 likes this.
  18. boozer32

The height thing bothers me too. But I listened to a former QB on a podcast and he mentioned that QB's have lanes now to throw through. Not too many pocket passing QB around anymore. Just saw the NJ ledger mock draft and they have the Pat's jumping up to #4 and taking Rosen. How catastrophic would that be that they go from Brady destroying us for 15 years to Rosen doing the same thing? Then you would instantly question Maccagnan judgment (I do it all the time). If Rosen is good enough for New England how could you not take him?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

As far as the height thing goes, I believe instincts > height. Height will be advantageous on certain plays, but instincts are useful on every play. Instincts are something you can clearly see on Mayfield's film, as well as Rosen and Darnold. I don't see the same instincts from Josh Allen, which is why I prefer Lamar Jackson even.

As far as New England, I think realistically they are going to draft Luke Falk or Mike White. Falk is a poor man's Mayfield, and White a poor man's Rosen. It wouldn't shock me if either of these guys go to NE and have a better career than most of the top 5 guys.

20. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Personally, I think this is all coming out because the Jets and Mac know that Darnold and Rosen are going 1 and 2 to the Browns and the Giants.

Does this off-season with the Giants and the Bills remind anyone else of the Titans and the Jets when Mariota was drafted?

Reports were out that the Titans were selling and the Jets were locked into Mariota. So many mock drafts had the Jets at 2. Then, come draft day, Titans took Mariota because he's (hopefully) a franchise QB.

For a few months now, I've felt its going to play out this way again. Thats why trading up to 3 was such an excellent move. You love 3 QBs, and there is a great chance 2 are gone in the first two picks.

If the Jets didnt trade with Indy, someone would have.