Redskins in cap hell.. finally

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by rajensen088, Feb 18, 2006.

1. rajensen088

rajensen088 Banned

From CBSSportsline:

How would you like to be Eric Schaffer, the cap man for the Washington Redskins? Your boss is the combustible Dan Snyder and your cap is a mess, so much so that two cap experts from other teams who looked at it say it's as bad as they have seen.

We pity poor Schaffer, who isn't to blame. It's not his fault Snyder throws money around as if he prints it, snubbing the reality that cap jail will eventually swallow his team whole.

"I'm glad I'm not Eric," said one of the cap experts. "That thing is a mess."

The Redskins have acted like pigs when it comes to signing players, disregarding the consequences. (Getty Images)
    According to NFLPA figures, the Redskins have $115.4 million committed in salary for their top 51 players in 2006. The cap is expected to be $92 to $95 million. That means they have to trim $20 million or so. And that's not counting the $2 million or so the team will need to sign its rookies (thankfully, they don't have a first-round pick to pay, or that would be higher).

The Redskins have done a decent job trimming their cap down in recent years, but this time it might not be possible -- certainly not without a new collective bargaining agreement. A new agreement could help relieve some of the cap problems, but even with one, the Redskins face a daunting task.

"If they reduced everybody to a veteran minimum, and that won't happen, they'd still be $4 million over the cap," said one of the cap experts. "That's before cutting anybody."

So how did it get this bad? The Redskins have paid out big money deals under Snyder, and some of them have blown up in the team's face, leading to the chase factor. You chase bad deals with more bad deals to compensate.

Thus, they have trouble.

When room got tight in the past, they extended players' deals to create room, spreading bonus amortization out over the years. Eventually, though, it becomes time to pay the piper.

That time is now.

We would liken the Redskins' plight to a family that keeps putting off paying the credit card balance by paying minimums.

"All the deals, all the overpaying for years and moving money into future years has caught up to them," said the cap expert. "Last year they had to move $7 million in money into future years. That catches up to you at some point."

One cap expert said the Redskins might be forced to let good players walk, and could be forced to field a team with as many as 20 rookies -- or more.

If there's a new CBA, the Redskins might be able to get out from under the cap troubles a little easier, although it still will be a lot of work.

"Can you imagine the dynamics of what Schaffer is going through?" one cap expert said. "He has to go to Snyder and Joe Gibbs and tell them they have to cut players. That has to be ugly."

Cap hell. It's as ugly as it gets in the NFL, and it's a jail that's hard to get paroled out of.

Still think the Redskins will be playoff contenders?

Gibbs has his work cut out for him this season. Maybe auto racing never looked so good.

http://www.sportsline.com/u/partners/aol/index.html?http://cbs.sportsline.com/

#1 rajensen088, Feb 18, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2006
  2. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

so does this mean lavar wont be returning? if we clear so money i would loving to have him along side vilma. imagine vilma and lavar on the same field with that speed

#2 hydro51, Feb 18, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2006
  3. plinko

plinko Absolute Ruler

There's an NFL forum for crap about teams I don't care about.

4. SMoss89

SMoss89 New Member

He wants to be a Redskin and he said he restructure. The question is how much will he restructure?

5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Post non-jet related topics in the appropiate forum please...

6. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

the rumors here in Redskin land is that Lavar will be either traded or cut.

7. Mawae68

Mawae68 New Member

That means Patrick Ramsey would be a good option for the NYJ. He has a great arm.

8. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

That all he got he will never make a good starting QB he's going to be a backup his whole career.

9. Mawae68

Mawae68 New Member

I would disagree. Al,ot of people said that about Tom Brady when he came out of college. I'm not saying Ramsey is going to be Brady; but I like that option better than drafting Cutler with the 4th pick when there will be so many other needs to address. I'd rather draft Hawk, get another first round pick for Abe; get a stud tackle; and maybe draft a QB with your 3rd round pick. If there's nobody attractive with the 3rd round pick; there's other positions to address-a Center/Guard, a CB, a WR, etc. Ramsey and Brooks is a better combo than Cutler/Brooks. Ramsey is not a big hit to the cap either; makes even motre attractive than most of the other QB's available from other teams.

10. Ten

Ten Active Member

I was speaking to skins fan who seems to know his stuff and he reckons Prisco is going a bit over the top.He reckons there not in that bad a shape.

11. Mexican Buc

Mexican Buc Well-Known Member

Finally. I was getting sick of the Redskins winning hte offseason crown over adn over with what seemed like their own printing press.

12. NY2MD_FS

NY2MD_FS Member

HELL NO

I live in the MD/VA/DC area. I don't want that idiot on our team. He has an arm yes but he has nothing upstairs. Besides I don't see mangina or tanny making a move for this guy...at least I hope not. I want nothing to do with the skins, players or otherwise.

13. PRPitbull

PRPitbull Active Member

OK, how many Tom Bradys have there been since Tom Brady, seriously. Everytime someone mentions a QB who doesnt have what it takes, someone brings up Tom Brady. Since 2001, how many Tom Brady-esque stories have there been? Please, by all means, name all the QBs who've come from nowhere to take the league by storm.

14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Just to play devil's advocate... I'm sure there have been some late-round QBs backing up around the league that could possibly pull off what Brady did but haven't been given the chance to supplant the starter. Just as Tom Brady was backing up Bledsoe before Mo Lewis ate his lunch... on the team of the quasi-legendary Bill Belichick, no less.

15. PRPitbull

PRPitbull Active Member

Yeah, but the difference is that we've seen alot of backups actually play. We've seen Patrick Ramsey come in and play and he didnt really do much. When Brady came in, as much as i hate him, he stole the show. The only people i can name who have a chance is Matt Schaub and maybe Philip Rivers(simply because he hasnt played in full for me to write him off), but seriously it does get annoying. Its like the scene from the WaterBoy movie where other teams starting putting in their towel boys and stuff, hoping lightning will strike twice.

16. GreenGiant 32

GreenGiant 32 New Member

If the CBA is not extended before 3/1 they're ####ed six ways from Sunday. And that is not an exaggeration. Let's just put it this way, if the aforementioned scenario takes place, and the CBA is not extended before 3/1 we The Jets will be in much better cap shape then them. Now that is saying alot. Due to the fact that we'll have more flexibility to trim the fat so to speak.

Everything is dependant on that magic date of 3/1 for the Redskins.

17. TheDarksideOfGreen

TheDarksideOfGreen New Member

YAyy!!!

Reading this gave me a big old party tent in my blu jean levi's without no touching!! I'm so happy I'm gonna go BUST!!!

Ha ha ha!! Snyder done final got his cumupance against the leagues!!

Ha ha ha!! Them bastard Deadskin fans will be crying bout this I bet you all a dollar against a five spot tht for true and best!!

I believe in gods again!!

Hailalujah!!!

18. Learn To Swim

Learn To Swim 2008 Nightowltom "Best Non-Jets Poster" Award Winn

Uh...ok then.

[​IMG]

19. DOOM

DOOM Active Member

:rofl: :shit: LOL

20. JHTJ

JHTJ New Member

If I've totaled correctly you guys hate the Raiders, Redskins, Eagles, Giants, Dolphins, Bills, and Patriots.

That's alot of love goin around.